49ers at Texans

Just now, mannc said:

Not true.  Go back and read some of the posts from a couple years ago.  (Not saying you were one of the haters.)

And the ones who wanted him shipped out (they actually wanted him cut) could not have been more wrong.  He’d be a nice target for JA, no?

You'd have needed a crystal ball to forecast what he's done in SF.

And I DO believe it has to do with a 100% commitment to football.

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Steptide said:

The Patriots letting him go has to be one of their worst decisions ever. Probably could've kept that dynasty alive another 10 years with him. Fortunately for us bills fans, they made a bad mistake 

I think Belichick thought it was slightly more clever than a bag of flaming poop on Kraft’s front door step. 

1 minute ago, joesixpack said:

You'd have needed a crystal ball to forecast what he's done in SF.

And I DO believe it has to do with a 100% commitment to football.

Again, not true.  Lots of folks thought Goodwin had potential.  He didn’t even start full time at Texas and he was hurt a lot when he was here, not to mention being poorly utilized.

You can believe whatever you want, but there is no evidence to support your belief.

1 hour ago, mannc said:

Not true.  Go back and read some of the posts from a couple years ago.  (Not saying you were one of the haters.)

And the ones who wanted him shipped out (they actually wanted him cut) could not have been more wrong.  He’d be a nice target for JA, no?

I was one who'd have cut him a year before his contract expired and I still don't think I was wrong. He can run two routes. 

If anything, the Track and Field training would help Goodwin’s conditioning. Buffalo messed up by putting him on kick returns, CHOOSING not to put him on the field, and pairing him with QBs like Manuel and Tyrod who both suck as passers and have a knack for hanging their receivers out to dry.

Goodwin didn’t emerge in SF until Jimmy took the reins, which goes to show it was mostly QB play that held him back.

6 minutes ago, Troll Toll said:

If anything, the Track and Field training would help Goodwin’s conditioning. Buffalo messed up by putting him on kick returns, CHOOSING not to put him on the field, and pairing him with QBs like Manuel and Tyrod who both suck as passers and have a knack for hanging their receivers out to dry.

Goodwin didn’t emerge in SF until Jimmy took the reins, which goes to show it was mostly QB play that held him back.

Goodwin before Jimmy G. took over: 27 catches, 62 targets. After he took over: 29 catches in 43 targets. Sometimes it is all about the QB. (And staying on the field doesn't hurt either)

Edited by The Frankish Reich

Goodwin has looked significantly better since his track career officially ended. He was also very fragile in his time here. I wouldn't be surprised to see his trouble staying healthy continue. As talented as he is, his body isn't NFL friendly.

I don't blame the Bills for not bringing him back. Woods was the mistake.

42 minutes ago, mannc said:

Yes, you were wrong.

Ha. He is perfect for Kyle Shanahan's offense - playing that role Gabriel played in Atlanta. Typically those players are scheme specific fits. That is what I think Goodwin is. He played better than I expected last year though I admit that. 

7 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Ha. He is perfect for Kyle Shanahan's offense - playing that role Gabriel played in Atlanta. Typically those players are scheme specific fits. That is what I think Goodwin is. He played better than I expected last year though I admit that. 

Can you admit that it would be nice to have him on the current Bills roster, and that he would make a nice target for JA?

O

8 minutes ago, mannc said:

Can you admit that it would be nice to have him on the current Bills roster, and that he would make a nice target for JA?

I think he is better than what we have now, yes. At the point I was all for cutting him we had Watkins, Woods, Harvin, Hogan, Thompson, Easley (core STer). We don't have anything like that depth now. He would have been an upgrade last year and would be an upgrade this year. 

33 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

O

I think he is better than what we have now, yes. At the point I was all for cutting him we had Watkins, Woods, Harvin, Hogan, Thompson, Easley (core STer). 

We had neither Hogan or Thompson in 2016 which was Goodwin's final season with us. IIRC, we lost Goodwin and Woods in the same free agency. We should have probably had the foresight to keep at least one of the two. And didn't Harvin retire halfway through the 2016 season? Our depth was greatly depleted by the time we could have made a decision on Goodwin.

Edited by Sammy Watkins' Rib

14 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

We had neither Hogan or Thompson in 2016 which was Goodwin's final season with us. IIRC, we lost Goodwin and Woods in the same free agency. We should have probably had the foresight to keep at least one of the two. And didn't Harvin retire halfway through the 2016 season? Our depth was greatly depleted by the time we could have made a decision on Goodwin.

The point I advocated cutting him was when we had those guys. I may be out by a pre-season but that was the point when I'd have cut Goodwin. 

4 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

The point I advocated cutting him was when we had those guys. I may be out by a pre-season but that was the point when I'd have cut Goodwin. 

I'm assuming if you wanted to cut him in 2015 then you would have also wanted to cut him in 2016. Unless you had a change of heart?

I think the fact that we had a GM in transition and a new GM that didn't arrive until after losing Goodwin and Woods in free agency but before trading Watkins complicated things. Maybe Beane would have kept one of or both of Woods/Goodwin knowing he wanted to move Watkins. Or maybe if Whaley stayed on through the start of the 2017 season we would have kept Watkins which ended up being a healthy year for him for the most part. All in the past now. 

25 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

I'm assuming if you wanted to cut him in 2015 then you would have also wanted to cut him in 2016. Unless you had a change of heart?

I think the fact that we had a GM in transition and a new GM that didn't arrive until after losing Goodwin and Woods in free agency but before trading Watkins complicated things. Maybe Beane would have kept one of or both of Woods/Goodwin knowing he wanted to move Watkins. Or maybe if Whaley stayed on through the start of the 2017 season we would have kept Watkins which ended up being a healthy year for him for the most part. All in the past now. 

No. In 2016 I thought he'd have been among the best 6 receivers on the team (though I still wasn't a particular fan of his play and lack of production). It was in 2015 I didn't think he was among the best 6 options.