Metal roof advice/experiences

Steve O

Anyone here have a metal roof on their house? Wondering about your experience. I'm thinking about the stone-coated steel like pictured in this link:

http://themetalroofoutlet.com/gallery-2/

My main concern would be noise during rain. Looks like the stone coating would minimize that but would rather hear from someone who has one. Also the house has an attic so that should dampen any extra noise from metal vs asphalt. Anything else I should be aware of? Putting on a new roof is not something I want to deal with twice more, this one comes with a 50 year warranty and I'm 61.

Any advice/insights appreciated.

Edited by Steve O
grammatical error

1 hour ago, Steve O said:

Anyone here have a metal roof on their house? Wondering about your experience. I'm thinking about the stone-coated steel like pictured in this link:

http://themetalroofoutlet.com/gallery-2/

My main concern would be noise during rain. Looks like the stone coating would minimize that but would rather hear from someone who has one. Also the house has an attic so that should dampen any extra noise from metal vs asphalt. Anything else I should be aware of? Putting on a new roof is not something I want to deal with twice more, this one comes with a 50 year warranty and I'm 61.

Any advice/insights appreciated.

I don't have one but have heard about them from those who do.  You don't have to do the pole barn thing where there is nothing between the roof and the floor below.  Some put down foam insulation as a barrier.  Consideration needs to be given to undesired moisture barriers and the fasteners sometimes need to be tightened to eliminate seepage.  The biggest positive is with minimal maintenance they can far outlast asphalt singles or similar material.  It's fine to solicit opinions here but I would be using a recommended contractor to make sure nothing is overlooked.

My house has a metal roof, and I installed it myself, as well as having used it on many structures before.

Sure, you can hear the rain sometimes, but even on the flat-ish portion (only 20 degrees or so), I don't hear the rain unless it's extreme. This portion is 14 feet long lean-to off the back of the house, and has only 2x4 construction with r13 insulation and sheathed with drywall on the inside, and OSB/furring strips under the tin. In my opinion rain noise is not a real concern, and the attic would help- especially if insulated.

If you are 61... You won't have to ever deal with a metal roof again. Durability is top-level and you don't lose shingles in a windstorm. That is my experience with 9 years on this roof that looks like it was installed yesterday.

Everything I build now gets a metal roof, even after spending many younger years doing shingle roofs. I don't know if you are planning on doing it yourself, but metal is also significantly easier and quicker to install. The tar-coat washered self tap screws are a must for a good seal, and be sure to get all the proper trim/peak pieces. If you have many pitches or valleys, it can be more challenging and you will want to make full use of flashing and dripedge.

Jmo. Good luck

2 hours ago, RochesterRob said:

I don't have one but have heard about them from those who do.  You don't have to do the pole barn thing where there is nothing between the roof and the floor below.  Some put down foam insulation as a barrier.  Consideration needs to be given to undesired moisture barriers and the fasteners sometimes need to be tightened to eliminate seepage.  The biggest positive is with minimal maintenance they can far outlast asphalt singles or similar material.  It's fine to solicit opinions here but I would be using a recommended contractor to make sure nothing is overlooked.

Thanks

1 hour ago, Shotgunner said:

My house has a metal roof, and I installed it myself, as well as having used it on many structures before.

Sure, you can hear the rain sometimes, but even on the flat-ish portion (only 20 degrees or so), I don't hear the rain unless it's extreme. This portion is 14 feet long lean-to off the back of the house, and has only 2x4 construction with r13 insulation and sheathed with drywall on the inside, and OSB/furring strips under the tin. In my opinion rain noise is not a real concern, and the attic would help- especially if insulated.

If you are 61... You won't have to ever deal with a metal roof again. Durability is top-level and you don't lose shingles in a windstorm. That is my experience with 9 years on this roof that looks like it was installed yesterday.

Everything I build now gets a metal roof, even after spending many younger years doing shingle roofs. I don't know if you are planning on doing it yourself, but metal is also significantly easier and quicker to install. The tar-coat washered self tap screws are a must for a good seal, and be sure to get all the proper trim/peak pieces. If you have many pitches or valleys, it can be more challenging and you will want to make full use of flashing and dripedge.

Jmo. Good luck

Thanks

3 story colonial with several peaks and valleys, no chance of doing it myself. All of the contractors employees are certified.

I was recently talked out of getting a metal roof by the roofing contractor. My father in law was also talked out of it. For both of us it was because we don’t plan on being in our houses long enough to realize any cost savings. We were also warned that seams, valleys, flashing, and connectors are possible failure points. In fact, the reason I had my thirty year old shingle roof replaced was because flashing had been leaking due to deep snow piles. The new roof has bigger, better flashing. Our neighbor has a metal roof and we like the look, but we decided that the financial advantage wasn’t as clear cut as we thought it would be. 

I would think if you are installing it on an existing roof that has sheathing in place already, noise wouldn't be much of an issue with an insulated attic below. You would get more noise if the roof is installed over only strapping and the rain would hit the metal with nothing behind it.

Otherwise they are know to last along time if done correctly and with quality materials. The keys are always doing the flashing and weatherstipping/waterproofing behind it correctly. 

Cost wise I wouldn't use it for a home you dont plan on staying long in as the return on investment probably wont be much in a sale compared to just putting a new asphalt shingle roof on. A shingle roof, if done correctly with quality materials can last a long time, problem is finding a good contractor who knows what they are doing and isnt gojng to try and cut corners. I see it too much today where new work is coming apart cause it wasnt done correctly by the contractor.

2 hours ago, Gray Beard said:

I was recently talked out of getting a metal roof by the roofing contractor. My father in law was also talked out of it. For both of us it was because we don’t plan on being in our houses long enough to realize any cost savings. We were also warned that seams, valleys, flashing, and connectors are possible failure points. In fact, the reason I had my thirty year old shingle roof replaced was because flashing had been leaking due to deep snow piles. The new roof has bigger, better flashing. Our neighbor has a metal roof and we like the look, but we decided that the financial advantage wasn’t as clear cut as we thought it would be. 

I was talked out of getting a high end furnace at my old house cause I said I was going to be putting the house up for sale. He said it wasnt wortb it because most people wont care if its low 90% or high 90% efficiency when purchasing, they will only care that the unit is new and wont pay extra just because it's a higher efficiency.

Good discussion!

• Using good materials and proper installation, asphalt will last 25-30 years and metal will last 50 years.
  • 75 percent of a roof's success is proper installation. Find a good contractor.
  • If you install a roof yourself, your insurance company will not pay for any roof-related damage or leaks that occur.
  • Asphalt lasts longer in the southern US.
  • Ask your home insurance man about insurance discounts for replacing a roof.
  • No difference at all in energy savings between asphalt and metal. What makes the difference is proper attic insulation and ventilation.