Highway Explosion in Bologna Italy

TSNBDSC

It may have been a BLEVE or a boiling liquid expanding vapor explosion.  These types of incidents usually happen with train derailments that involve tanker cars and fire.  Essentially the contents are super heated and when the metal cracks allowing the pressure to escape and oxygen to be added to the mix it results in a huge explosion.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BuffaloBill said:

It may have been a BLEVE or a boiling liquid expanding vapor explosion.  These types of incidents usually happen with train derailments that involve tanker cars and fire.  Essentially the contents are super heated and when the metal cracks allowing the pressure to escape and oxygen to be added to the mix it results in a huge explosion.

In Bologna, that appeared to be such a tiny truck.  Gotta look @ stats for Chicago Harbor (Downtown), not sure if they handle any tankers... I think where we are at, tucked away on SouthSide, handle all the tankers.  An average tanker barge will handle about 2400 tons of product.  Jumbos will be around 3200 tons. For some reason, computer program only records/inputs dry tons, not gallons, IMO is seriously low-balling our numbers when it comes to liquid commodity. Now, usually times that by two... Sometimes three if they want to max out width @ 105' wife or set over the length @ a thousand feet long.

I can't imagine what 7,000-10,000 (1 million to 3 million gallons liquid) tons of HAZMAT would look like going up.  Probably a nuclear bomb if it's ammonium nitrate (dry) or jetfuel (obviously, liquid).  But, at least nothing else would catch, small consolation for the surrounding neighborhoods.  Now next to the refinery?  Anyway, they have regulations in place... Security zones?

To put that tonnage into perspective, gallons.   The inland liquid cargo tank barge is longer, at 297', and has a capacity of one million gallons for such commodities as petroleum and petroleum products, fertilizer, and chemicals. Now times that by two, three.  The video you posted shows 30,000 gallons going boom.  Just imagine 1 (not gonna be 3, it really 2... Too tight on river Downtown) of those cruising by Sears/Willis Tower.  I guess it's why they ship it down here, tucked outta the way.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

2 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

In Bologna, that appeared to be such a tiny truck.  Gotta look @ stats for Chicago Harbor (Downtown), not sure if they handle any tankers... I think where we are at, tucked away on SouthSide, handle all the tankers.  An average tanker barge will handle about 2400 tons of product.  Jumbos will be around 3200 tons. For some reason, computer program only records/inputs dry tons, not gallons, IMO is seriously low-balling our numbers when it comes to liquid commodity. Now, usually times that by two... Sometimes three if they want to max out width @ 105' wife or set over the length @ a thousand feet long.

I can't imagine what 7,000-10,000 (1 million to 3 million gallons liquid) tons of HAZMAT would look like going up.  Probably a nuclear bomb if it's ammonium nitrate (dry) or jetfuel (obviously, liquid).  But, at least nothing else would catch, small consolation for the surrounding neighborhoods.  Now next to the refinery?  Anyway, they have regulations in place... Security zones?

To put that tonnage into perspective, gallons.   The inland liquid cargo tank barge is longer, at 297', and has a capacity of one million gallons for such commodities as petroleum and petroleum products, fertilizer, and chemicals. Now times that by two, three.  The video you posted shows 30,000 gallons going boom.  Just imagine 1 (not gonna be 3, it really 2... Too tight on river Downtown) of those cruising by Sears/Willis Tower.  I guess it's why they ship it down here, tucked outta the way.

Nice explosion in that video.

Physics is cool, and often, fun.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, BuffaloBill said:

It wasn't.