Running Game Looks Strong

11 hours ago, GreggTX said:

And they had problems before they lost 3 starters. I'm not as hopeful as some. I think this could be a very difficult year for the O. Points may be few and the pass protection will be leaky.

The unanswered question is how many of the problems were due to the zone blocking scheme that did not suit our OL, and the incredibly uninventive offensive scheme.

If the answer is "lots", well, Daboll seems to be crafting a much more varied series of looks, and is said to favor power man blocking.  So we could potentially see "more with less".

If the answer is "it was Castillo" well, "teflon Juan" is still here.

If the answer is "it's the players" we're in trouble.

Dennison is now the "run game coordinator" for the New York Jets.  Will be interesting to see how that works out for them.

3 hours ago, Teddy KGB said:

Minnesota makes everyone’s offensive line look irrelevant 

for values of "everyone" not including the Iggles?

12 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

With the Chargers in Week 2 and Minnesota in Week 3, we're going to find out right away just how bad this line is.

The losses of Incognito, Wood and Glenn are nothing to sneeze at.

I don't think the fall off will be as bad as you think.

How many games did Glenn play last year? the rookie Dawkins played most of them at LT.

I thought the line was better with Groy at C in 2016 when Wood got hurt.

So that leaves Ritchies spot, just put Miller in there and leave Vlad the impaler at RG and the lines at least as good as last year and maybe better.

3 hours ago, Virgil said:

Then our defense is terrible.  You can't have it both ways :thumbsup:

Sure we can.  Last night, 3 of our best defenders had the night off - KW, 'Zo, and Trent Murphy.

1 hour ago, Scorp83 said:

Is it strong cause Derm let up off the D or is it strong cause the run game is good???

Seems like whenever Derm wants to applied more pressure the offense has a hard time

I doubt McDermott told the D to let up, but it's a fact 3 of our best players on D had the night off.  See above.

15 hours ago, Idandria said:

Hoping to see Shady run wild this year. We got the best running back in football. Let’s hope the o-line doesn’t miss a beat from last season.

I think i might take Todd Gurley or Alvin Kamara considering his age. Probably even Zeke.

3 hours ago, JMF2006 said:

I don't think the fall off will be as bad as you think.

How many games did Glenn play last year? the rookie Dawkins played most of them at LT.

I thought the line was better with Groy at C in 2016 when Wood got hurt.

So that leaves Ritchies spot, just put Miller in there and leave Vlad the impaler at RG and the lines at least as good as last year and maybe better.

This current lineup sucks. Miller should be at lg...where he played 48 games before we drafted him and put groy at rg to help cover Mills. Bodine is gonna start at center and they will say that we wanna save groy....which is stupid from the word go. Besides they've been talking up redmond. I don't know which one drags things down more...Vlad or Juan. Jmo

16 minutes ago, billsredneck1 said:

This current lineup sucks. Miller should be at lg...where he played 48 games before we drafted him and put groy at rg to help cover Mills. Bodine is gonna start at center and they will say that we wanna save groy....which is stupid from the word go. Besides they've been talking up redmond. I don't know which one drags things down more...Vlad or Juan. Jmo

...I believe we've found Castillo's replacement right here at TBD.......

18 minutes ago, billsredneck1 said:

Full agreed. I’ll add on, even if Dawkins is the better LT (the best ability is availability), Glenn could have helped us tremendously at RT. Or even kicked inside to OG, where most people had him pegged. Could have solved a few issues for us on the OL. 

I get the trade but dont love it. Also don’t hate it. 

56 minutes ago, Mango said:

Full agreed. I’ll add on, even if Dawkins is the better LT (the best ability is availability), Glenn could have helped us tremendously at RT. Or even kicked inside to OG, where most people had him pegged. Could have solved a few issues for us on the OL. 

I get the trade but dont love it. Also don’t hate it. 

I don't think cordy would have ever agreed to that and I wouldn't doubt it had been discussed.

34 minutes ago, billsredneck1 said:

I don't think cordy would have ever agreed to that and I wouldn't doubt it had been discussed.

I mean, unless it came with a new (lesser) contract, what wouldn’t he agree to? 

“Cordy, you’re competing for th starting LT this year. Dawkins did well. It will be a good battle. We still have a few spots we would slot you in to start on the OL if that doesn’t work out. Also you get to keep you’re starting LT money regardless” 

20 minutes ago, Mango said:

“Cordy, you’re competing for th starting LT this year. Dawkins did well. It will be a good battle. We still have a few spots we would slot you in to start on the OL if that doesn’t work out. Also you get to keep you’re starting LT money regardless” 

I hear you but he would not get it money after.....

21 minutes ago, Mango said:

Besides if you can't count on him to play....you overpay

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...I believe we've found Castillo's replacement right here at TBD.......

The untapped coaching and scouting talent on this board is, indeed...something.

People seem awfully convinced of their own opinions, which is a troubling trend...

(And...here's the scholarly origin of this phenomenon made VERY relevant in recent years.)

http://psycnet.apa.org/record/1999-15054-002

Abstract
People tend to hold overly favorable views of their abilities in many social and intellectual domains. The authors suggest that this overestimation occurs, in part, because people who are unskilled in these domains suffer a dual burden: Not only do these people reach erroneous conclusions and make unfortunate choices, but their incompetence robs them of the metacognitive ability to realize it. Across 4 studies, the authors found that participants scoring in the bottom quartile on tests of humor, grammar, and logic grossly overestimated their test performance and ability. Although their test scores put them in the 12th percentile, they estimated themselves to be in the 62nd. Several analyses linked this miscalibration to deficits in metacognitive skill, or the capacity to distinguish accuracy from error. Paradoxically, improving the skills of the participants, and thus increasing their metacognitive competence, helped them recognize the limitations of their abilities. (PsycINFO Database Record (c) 2016 APA, all rights reserved)

• Haha (+1) 1