Why Do the Bills Need a New Stadium ??

T master

4 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Enough with this BS...

The Bills are never leaving... Never

...pressure Pegula to move to a bigger market?.....maybe he should name some of those "bigger" or "ore lucrative" markets looking for an NFL team.....it's even an asinine proposition to think owners could "pressure" a move....Hoboken?......Syracuse?......oh wait...London or Mexico City?.......can anybody cite such a precedent?.......

12 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

That is a myth... the boat builders Harland and Wolff never advertised the ship as unsinkable 

those were propaganda pieces by newspapers of the day

So is the notion that the Bills are safe forever. Never drop your guard.

10 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...pressure Pegula to move to a bigger market?.....maybe he should name some of those "bigger" or "ore lucrative" markets looking for an NFL team.....it's even an asinine proposition to think owners could "pressure" a move....Hoboken?......Syracuse?......oh wait...London or Mexico City?.......can anybody cite such a precedent?.......

The trouble is we do not know what Pegula had to sign when he bought the Bills.  We are used to the old days when the NFL was an informal club versus being a cash grabbing monster that it is today.  San Antonio, Portland, OR, and now perhaps San Diego would welcome a franchise and no doubt the NFL has higher aspirations with London, Berlin, Mexico City, and the most cost efficient for the league Toronto.

Just now, PromoTheRobot said:

The NFL brought the Browns back... the Bills are never leaving. I would put my life savings on it. As long as their is an NFL , there will be the Buffalo Bills

1 minute ago, Buffalo716 said:

The NFL brought the Browns back... the Bills are never leaving. I would put my life savings on it. As long as their is an NFL , there will be the Buffalo Bills

That is getting to be close to 20 years ago with a fair amount of the old guard owners around that did not have Bond villain type aspirations.

3 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

....seeing Pegula's MAJOR financial commitment to Buffalo and the WNY region (Sabres, Harbor Center, numerous other R/E projects, Bandits, other teams, AHL Rochester Americans, now taking over Blue Cross Arena ops where Amerks play, etc), what do you think happens to support for all of his other teams, holdings, etc if he calls "Modell Night Moving & Storage" to relocate the Bills?....just curious......

3 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Hubris is worse than karma.

Just now, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....seeing Pegula's MAJOR financial commitment to Buffalo and the WNY region (Sabres, Harbor Center, numerous other R/E projects, Bandits, other teams, AHL Rochester Americans, now taking over Blue Cross Arena ops where Amerks play, etc), what do you think happens to support for all of his other teams, holdings, etc if he calls "Modell Night Moving & Storage" to relocate the Bills?....just curious......

Oh, I'm not suggesting the moving vans are pulling up tomorrow. I agree the Bills are firmly in place...for the foreseeable future. 

But never forget the Bills are only still here by the good graces of the Pegulas. Original AFL, Ralph Wilson, 4 Super Bowls, Greatest Comeback, etc. means bupkis to the NFL of today. 

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

That's the thing, ain't it? If WNY is too poor to buy into the NFL, at least at the ever-increasing financial level they demand, then the league will eventually put the screws to Terry and Kim.

Could the same line of thinking apply to Green Bay? Is Lambeau that much better then New Era and Green Bay that much more affluent than WNY?  

8 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

The trouble is we do not know what Pegula had to sign when he bought the Bills.  We are used to the old days when the NFL was an informal club versus being a cash grabbing monster that it is today.  San Antonio, Portland, OR, and now perhaps San Diego would welcome a franchise and no doubt the NFL has higher aspirations with London, Berlin, Mexico City, and the most cost efficient for the league Toronto.

...San Diego possibly, once or if the backlash wounds ever heal.....San Antonio or Portland are highly doubtful......San Antonio has the 64,000 seat Alamodome that I think one of the new upstart leagues is using...prior to that it was a hurricane shelter.....I wouldn't move a cemetery to Portland....how much support does Toronto provide the Argos?.....and if there is such a regular European infatuation with the NFL, why the demise of NFL Europe?....back and forth across the pond is one hell of a travel burden during a season...Mexico City?.....now there's an ULTRA safe venue....love to be on THAT team with my family living there while I'm on the road.....don't see relocations as easy as one may think.....

16 hours ago, RochesterRob said:

You are raising a very ugly word for many (not including me) which is regionalization.  Even if the new stadium is downtown (and that is not guaranteed) it will mean bringing in people from Rochester (and points east of Rochester) as well as Ontario Province.  Raising the median ticket price will have the effect of closing out a greater number of Erie County patrons.  Studies done on a new location may or may not show downtown is the best place to go.  Back on BBMB many swore that their allegiance to the Bills would be sorely tested if a downtown location did not happen.

How is this any different from their plan over the past 10 years, and the foreseeable future?

The Bills likely don't exist w/o Ontario and Rochester.  I guess I'm not picking up on the parochial nature  of Erie County residents you speak off.  

10 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

Could the same line of thinking apply to Green Bay? Is Lambeau that much better then New Era and Green Bay that much more affluent than WNY?  

...no, but Lambeau is "grandfathered in" as the league's "capital", an earned distinction primarily because of Vince......only publicly owned team......and I think the #1 team with a season tickets waiting list, some absurd number like 60,000+....lore says only way you move up is if somebody dies ahead of you....OR....you call Uncle Nunzio for his "services" to facilitate "matters"....

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

19 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Hubris is worse than karma.

Oh, I'm not suggesting the moving vans are pulling up tomorrow. I agree the Bills are firmly in place...for the foreseeable future. 

But never forget the Bills are only still here by the good graces of the Pegulas. Original AFL, Ralph Wilson, 4 Super Bowls, Greatest Comeback, etc. means bupkis to the NFL of today. 

...I agree Promo......despite declining interest and public sentiment, they are THE "we don't give a rat's azz Teflon Dons" of the sports world.....ludicrous TV revenues are the culprit.....the individual fan who scraped money together to buy a ticket as the foundation, matters about as much as a urinal flush...TV and corporate dollars feed the cash cow....the NFL on Sundays is an institution for how long?.....and where else are advertisers going to spend their dollars on a Sunday for maximum "bang for their buck"?......The Weather Channel?...I Love Lucy reruns?....Bonanza or Gunsmoke?....I'm not even sure if they would care if national tv on Sundays showed half empty stadiums.......and that "attitude of arrogance" is unstoppable IMO....

15 minutes ago, stony said:

How is this any different from their plan over the past 10 years, and the foreseeable future?

The Bills likely don't exist w/o Ontario and Rochester.  I guess I'm not picking up on the parochial nature  of Erie County residents you speak off.  

Bills reach a lot further than Rochester and Ontario. they have a solid fan base down here in Elmira Corning area and points west in the Southern Tier.

12 minutes ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

Bills reach a lot further than Rochester and Ontario. they have a solid fan base down here in Elmira Corning area and points west in the Southern Tier.

No doubt they do.  And thankfully so.  I guess my point was,  I hadn't realized regionalization was such a dirty word.  

13 minutes ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

...a damn good point......and I'd bet folks from those areas make the trek to camp in Rochester.....as well as east east of Rochester.......so for starters, cancel the Rochester camp and alienate what, 25-30% of your fan base?.....now build a new stadium with increased PSL's and ticket prices.......so what happens?.....that same fan base has to economize...maybe the family budget reduces from two games to one.....maybe the camp cancellation reduces game attendance to NONE......a new stadium with increased PSL's and ticket prices is a major consideration so I don;t see where alienating a significant percentage of your fan base is nothing short of economic suicide.....just my ramble....

16 hours ago, RochesterRob said:

You are raising a very ugly word for many (not including me) which is regionalization.  Even if the new stadium is downtown (and that is not guaranteed) it will mean bringing in people from Rochester (and points east of Rochester) as well as Ontario Province.  Raising the median ticket price will have the effect of closing out a greater number of Erie County patrons.  Studies done on a new location may or may not show downtown is the best place to go.  Back on BBMB many swore that their allegiance to the Bills would be sorely tested if a downtown location did not happen.

Thing is, a downtown location doesn’t mean any quicker of a drive from ROC and points east along the thruway. Google Maps tells me an hour and 15 to Key Bank Center from my house, and an hour and 19 to OBD. 

It’d mean a shorter trip from southern Ontario and that’s about it. 

1 minute ago, jimmy10 said:

Thing is, a downtown location doesn’t mean any quicker of a drive from ROC and points east along the thruway. Google Maps tells me an hour and 15 to Key Bank Center from my house, and an hour and 19 to OBD. 

It’d mean a shorter trip from southern Ontario and that’s about it. 

The Ralph is 2:25 minutes from my house, downtown is going to push it 3 or so. Also Corning Inc is one of the fortune 500 companies that supports the Bills

46 minutes ago, stony said:

Different than what the Bills are already doing or open to doing?  No, it is not.  My point is many people from Buffalo and Erie County do not like the outside influx even though it has kept the team in Buffalo for the last 25 years in reality.  This attitude was extremely apparent on the old BBMB.  

Just now, Mike in Horseheads said:

The Ralph is 2:25 minutes from my house, downtown is going to push it 3 or so. Also Corning Inc is one of the fortune 500 companies that supports the Bills

Great point about Corning. And yeah, further evidence that a downtown location doesn’t shorten anyone’s drive except our friends in Canuckistan. 

But the drive isn’t a big deal to me anyway. My wife and I enjoy it, it’s time to ourselves while the little ones are with grandparents. 

Like many, I don’t feel the Bills NEED a new stadium, but I’ve pretty much accepted the inevitability that it will happen. My only hope is that the Pegulas appreciate their market enough to not jack up the prices TOO much. 

1 minute ago, RochesterRob said:

Different than what the Bills are already doing or open to doing?  No, it is not.  My point is many people from Buffalo and Erie County do not like the outside influx even though it has kept the team in Buffalo for the last 25 years in reality.  This attitude was extremely apparent on the old BBMB.  

Yeah, it’s come up on here before too. There are even some who don’t feel Rochester is part of WNY, which is hilarious to me. We used to be the same area code for cryin out loud.