WR Cam Phillips #5 - UDFA Virginia Tech

Day 6 MVP: WR Cam Phillips
- As the pads have gone on, Phillips has risen to the challenge and is making an outstanding play almost on a daily basis. Wednesday was his best day so far.

When I went to Fisher last Friday, I kept seeing #5 making plays. I had to check the roster sheet to see who he was. Since then, every single practice i've read the beat guys talking about him.

If you go to practice, keep an eye out for him. I'm expecting/hoping for a solid Pre-Season.

• Like (+1) 2

Nice post thanks for sharing, would be great if they found a diamond in the ruff at the WR position. 

Here's an article about why we wasn't drafted. 

https://www.gobblercountry.com/2018/5/26/17397942/seven-reasons-cam-phillips-wasnt-drafted-nfl-acc-vt-virginia-tech-hokies-buffalo-bills

Edited by Charlottebillsfan2
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

How good do you think he can be?

I don't think he'll be anything elite, but he is steady handed, tough, and has the mindset of being willing to take on any role to help the offense move the ball and score. Don't be put off by his combine numbers, he played the entire college season with a sports hernia (and still caught 71 for 964 yards and 7 TDs) and then had surgery after the season.

EDIT: If I was going to put a cap on where I think he could get, I'd say that what reasonable people's expectations of Zay were last year isn't outside the realm of possibility.

Edited by BuffaloHokie13
  • Like (+1) 2

It’s going to be interesting to see who sticks in the roster.

Benjamin and Kerley are locks

Zay Jones probably? Dupre maybe?

Then there’s a whole bunch of slot receivers. Reilly, Phillips, Foster, McCloud, Proehl, etc.

just from reading reports, I can’t see Reilly, Phillips, or Foster getting cut. So that puts our two drafted receivers on the practice squad?

1 minute ago, CajunBillsBacker said:

Then there’s a whole bunch of slot receivers. Reilly, Phillips, Foster, McCloud, Proehl, etc.

just from reading reports, I can’t see Reilly, Phillips, or Foster getting cut. So that puts our two drafted receivers on the practice squad?

I think Proehl and Mccloud are PS for sure. I read that Proehl has had a lot of drops. I agree that Reilly and Foster make it. Foster has the downfield speed factor they desperately need. Reilly has earned his spot thus far. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

18 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I think Proehl and Mccloud are PS for sure. I read that Proehl has had a lot of drops. I agree that Reilly and Foster make it. Foster has the downfield speed factor they desperately need. Reilly has earned his spot thus far. 

I'm pretty sure they drafted McCloud to be Tate's replacement in the return game. If he doesn't produce in the Pre-Season from that spot - maybe it's PS. But I think he'll be in the 53.

People don't want to hear it. But my gut tells me this will be yet another season of Brandon Reilly just missing the 53. Too many more heralded prospects have walked through the door since last year.

22 minutes ago, CajunBillsBacker said:

Don't forget about Holmes. I wouldn't call him a lock, as the staff may look to add more youth, but he's an experienced, solid vet. 

With the rules changes this year, the Bills may keep more WRs that can play on ST. That could help guys like Phillips, Foster, McCloud etc. to stick with the main roster or PS. 

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Drunken Pygmy Goat said:

Don't forget about Holmes. I wouldn't call him a lock, as the staff may look to add more youth, but he's an experienced, solid vet. 

With the rules changes this year, the Bills may keep more WRs that can play on ST. That could help guys like Phillips, Foster, McCloud etc. to stick with the main roster or PS. 

Phillips has very little if any ST experience so that could hurt him 

• Like (+1) 1