Marquise Goodwin buys mom/sister home

2 hours ago, keepthefaith said:

Good chance he added muscle once he was done long jumping.  Track and field athletes don't train with the same goals as football players. 

I think so.  The 49ers list him as 185, I think.  USATF listed him as 175 in 2016.

4 minutes ago, K-9 said:

The basis for the statement Is a familiarity with the exercise physiology and nutrition required for training at elite levels. Of course there are “specific” areas of training for both disciplines. I’m speaking more in general terms of the nutrition and strength training required for both. The Bills trainers were ok with it because the nutrional requirements and strength training required for his long jumping wouldn’t cause him to lose muscle mass and the intensive sprint training is similar to that of a WR as it is. 

I alluded to the fact he ignored the specialized focus required for his development as a WR, so I agree with you on that score. 

Gotcha.  I can see where the broad outlines might be similar, solely from the strength training and nutrition POV.  Do long jumpers need the same type of hand and upper body strength as WR? 

Sounds like we agree overall.

18 hours ago, keepthefaith said:

Good chance he added muscle once he was done long jumping.  Track and field athletes don't train with the same goals as football players. 

Pretty annoyed he didn't make that decision when with the Bills. But I don't take much stock into the Olympics, to each their own I guess. But we could have had a much better WR. At his draft position, would have looked like a steal.

If you're going to take money for football you should focus on being the best football player you can be. Pretty impressive he was actually able to do both (when healthy) in hindsight where many wouldn't have made either

21 hours ago, Sky Diver said:

Not training exclusively for football has nothing to do with freak injuries.

Actually not training for football was the reason for that injury.

Tell me how many other times you've EVER seen a WR cut back toward the LOS and get blindsided in the middle of the field by a 300# DT?

I've never seen it before or since.

In his 3rd NFL season he made a pop warner level mistake because he hadn't been working on being a professional WR.

3 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Actually not training for football was the reason for that injury.

Tell me how many other times you've EVER seen a WR cut back toward the LOS and get blindsided in the middle of the field by a 300# DT?

I've never seen it before or since.

In his 3rd NFL season he made a pop warner level mistake because he hadn't been working on being a professional WR.

I recall the play. A DT flopped on him when he was down. The injury had zero to do with his training routine.

16 hours ago, K-9 said:

The basis for the statement Is a familiarity with the exercise physiology and nutrition required for training at elite levels. Of course there are “specific” areas of training for both disciplines. I’m speaking more in general terms of the nutrition and strength training required for both. The Bills trainers were ok with it because the nutrional requirements and strength training required for his long jumping wouldn’t cause him to lose muscle mass and the intensive sprint training is similar to that of a WR as it is. 

I alluded to the fact he ignored the specialized focus required for his development as a WR, so I agree with you on that score. 

Football players add muscle mass as a defense against physical contact.    

Both as a cushion to absorb the contact and to increase their resistance against jarring hits that lead to a loss of control and subsequent awkward landings that cause many of the joint and head injuries we see on the field.

I know you lost to Bill Cosby in the Penn relays in HS but IMO training is more specialized for each sport nowadays.

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Football players add muscle mass as a defense against physical contact.    

Both as a cushion to absorb the contact and to increase their resistance against jarring hits that lead to a loss of control and subsequent awkward landings that cause many of the joint and head injuries we see on the field.

I know you lost to Bill Cosby in the Penn relays in HS but IMO training is more specialized for each sport nowadays.

Would it surprise you to know that Goodwin followed the nutrional and strength training programs prescribed by the Bills’ staff while he trained for his long jump competition? 

Really? There is more specialized training in each sport compared to 40 years ago? Stop the presses!

Care to list the similarities the two disciplines DO share? Which was my point all along. 

Good point about building muscle mass and now that his track career is over, Goodwin has dedicated himself more to that end it seems. I doubt he will achieve much more than 5 - 7 lbs on his frame without starting to negatively impact his flexibility and speed, however. 

Most importantly for Goodwin, he can devote the time needed to the specialized work required to make himself a better wideout, exclusively. Something he clearly didn’t do while pursuing his Olympic dream in the offseason between the ‘15 and ‘16 seasons. 

On 7/5/2018 at 11:30 PM, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

Question, did Marquise Goodwin break out a career season because he left that Buffalo offense? Or because he took football in the offseason seriously, being on a new team and all.. I mean just watching him briefly at the 9ers he looked like he added 30 pounds of muscle. Looked like a WR monster.

Goodwin was never healthy here. And WR's don't get targets when Tyrod is your QB.

4 hours ago, MJS said:

Goodwin was never healthy here. And WR's don't get targets when Tyrod is your QB.

They got targeted more when they had talent. Sure you're right he's bound to get better stats. But he looks like a real WR, rather than some Tyler lockett gadget. Tyrod found Woods with out Watkins, Clay and shady when he had none of that group. He looks like a #1, somebody that would have given us Watkins insurance.

I'll eat my words regarding Goodwin if Tyrod starts and doesn't get Gordon and Landry respectable stats. Cause if he does, think it makes our games with nerfed Goodwin at #1 or 2.

Just don't pin it on Tyrod, Goodwin looks like a top 20 receiver anywhere now . Is it a combination of new QB and giving a **** about football? Don't tell me it's not, and I believe it's more the latter

14 minutes ago, Augie said:

If only he’d bought Shady’s ex-GF a house! What’s one more? 

some folks have brains

some folks have monies
 some folks have neither, like myself.

But Mr Goodwin has played his life smartly. 

11 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

some folks have brains

some folks have monies
 some folks have neither, like myself.

But Mr Goodwin has played his life smartly. 

Truth be told, it’s hard not to love this about the guy!