The Space Force!

3 hours ago, joesixpack said:

They did that as far back as when I joined. I scored top 1% on asvab, was on track for MI linguistic school, got stupid (arrested for underage drinking) and lost eligibility for top secret. Ended up on a howitzer crew and eventually in fire direction control. By the time I got out, the offered me an increase in grade, 20k and linguistics school to re-enlist. Turned THEM down :lol:

...Kuwait, 2005, before going to Iraq on my second deployment I reenlisted. 

The deal I got: 6-years reenlisment, $15k tax free. So I called Branch and told them I’d take it if they put me on orders to Wainwright. They said yes, I did the deal. 

The deal I could have gotten had I waited 2 days: 4-years, $20k, plus duty station of choice. 

8 months later: I was informed the 101st had locked me into the next deployment cycle and so my Wainwright orders were deleted. 

I have seen some ****, man. Some real ****. 

Edited by The_Dude

7 hours ago, The_Dude said:

...Kuwait, 2005, before going to Iraq on my second deployment I reenlisted. 

The deal I got: 6-years reenlisment, $15k tax free. So I called Branch and told them I’d take it if they put me on orders to Wainwright. They said yes, I did the deal. 

The deal I could have gotten had I waited 2 days: 4-years, $20k, plus duty station of choice. 

8 months later: I was informed the 101st had locked me into the next deployment cycle and so my Wainwright orders were deleted. 

I have seen some ****, man. Some real ****. 

Did they at least give you the 15k?

I have since that day wondered if they would have kept their word.

Like I said a week or two ago, the military has been doing this stuff for a while. Trump just wants to put it in one branch.  Reducing redundancy in the government.

12 minutes ago, Wacka said:

Like I said a week or two ago, the military has been doing this stuff for a while. Trump just wants to put it in one branch.  Reducing redundancy in the government.

Sliding on my crazy hat: I think there are a few levels going on here... 

1) Exactly what you say above and others have said. Space is the ultimate high ground, you cannot wage a modern war without control of space and being able to protect your communication assets in orbit. This is largely about re-organizing and reducing redundancy et al. That's the initial phase and where we are now.

2) A little further down the road: I think Trump's organization is serious about expanding the commercialization of space, both in exploration and in terms of resource mining. That means you also need to start thinking about how to protect private companies operating in space and the material/product they're mining/transporting back to Earth. That's going to require a "coast guard" type force to help protect or rescue any vulnerable assets. 

3) All along the way, it will serve as a means of disclosing already existing space asset and programs that exist right now but are buried behind classified SAPs and compartmentalization. 

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Deranged Rhino said:

Sliding on my crazy hat: I think there are a few levels going on here... 

1) Exactly what you say above and others have said. Space is the ultimate high ground, you cannot wage a modern war without control of space and being able to protect your communication assets in orbit. This is largely about re-organizing and reducing redundancy et al. That's the initial phase and where we are now.

2) A little further down the road: I think Trump's organization is serious about expanding the commercialization of space, both in exploration and in terms of resource mining. That means you also need to start thinking about how to protect private companies operating in space and the material/product they're mining/transporting back to Earth. That's going to require a "coast guard" type force to help protect or rescue any vulnerable assets. 

3) All along the way, it will serve as a means of disclosing already existing space asset and programs that exist right now but are buried behind classified SAPs and compartmentalization. 

4) There are treaty limitations on the militarization of space.  This could serve as notice for disregarding them.  

• Like (+1) 3

• 3 months later...

It's getting closer now to reality: 

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefings-statements/president-donald-j-trump-launching-americas-space-force/

The six recommendations presented to the President call for:

• Forming a United States Space Command to control our space forces and develop the tactics, techniques, and procedures for military space operations.
  • Establishing the Space Force as a separate and distinct branch of the military whose mission will be to organize, train, and equip combat space forces.
  • Calling on Congress to authorize the establishment of a Space Force and provide funding for the United States Space Command.
  • Launching a joint review by the National Space Council and National Security Council of existing space operational authorities for meeting national security objectives, informed by DOD’s assessment of the authorities required.
  • Creating a Space Development Agency to ensure Americans in the Space Force have cutting-edge warfighting capabilities.
  • Creating collaborative mechanisms with the Intelligence Community to improve unity of efforts for the development of space capabilities and operations.

Image result for space force gif

• Like (+1) 1