Prediction: Nathan Peterman Bills Starting QB Wk. 1 vs. Ravens

2 hours ago, BurpleBull said:

You'd be asking one to speculate by asking that question.

No one knows if things play out the exact same way in that Chargers game if Tyrod Taylor plays the whole way through, so it's really not that fair a question to ask.

All that can be spoken on is what actually happened, what seemingly changed due to Taylor being benched.

We all gotta remember why Taylor was benched in the first place and for the record I was very much in favor of the benching for Nathan Peterman as starter.

Do you remember the game against Oakland?

I don't think many people thought the Bills would roll into Oakland and totally shut them down despite what the records showed, but the Bills did.

Fast forward to the next week's game vs. NYJ, a team stumbling around trying to fight its footing, no one expected the Bills to lose that game to a 3-5 team, division rival or not, based on what they did to the Raiders the previous week, but they did.

Instead of improving to 6-2 and moving up the standings against a 3-5 division rival, they dropped the ball, and a highly indecisive Taylor was sacked a season-high 7 times.

Hence the decision to give Peterman the nod at QB the following week.

I really never understood why so many seemed baffled by the move, unless those confused by the move were outsiders who didn't actually follow the Bills, since the coaches and fans had grown tired of the passive, passing attack led by Taylor.

Things didn't work out for Peterman in his first start against a scary Chargers pass-rush as hoped for obviously, but still enough good seemed to come out that very bad game.

1. Bills' fans found out that they had a young, decisive QB in Peterman, willing to put the ball in the air to make a play for the offense.

2. The defense buckled down to shut down a high-powered Kansas City Chiefs offense on the road for a win, after the 54-point romping and never allowed twenty points in 4 of the final 6 games after allowing 88 points in the span of two weeks, 34 coming by way of the hapless, Jets offense. 

I don't know if anything changes if Tyrod Taylor is never benched and Nathan Peterman never starts, but I know things didn't remain the same after he was.

Zay Jones even messed around and caught his first NFL TD.

How about that.

I just think that the Panthers and Jaguars games are indicators of what can happen. Tyrod had decent games with the aid if a ball hungry defense. I wouldn't say the offense every truly was dominant in a stretch of games. It always felt like I was hoping on the defense to hold any lead the Bills would get. 

The question is answered by saying that if the defense plays lights out and forces some turn overs and holds the chargers to 10 to 21 points. Then maybe Tyrod wins that game with the game manager style. At that point in the season I doubt it. 

I still think with Tyrod at QB the Bills loses that game. Even if they beat the Chargers the Jaguars game was the final nail and enough evidence to move on from the entire offense. 

Edited by Lfod

1 minute ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

There must have been a good reason. 

Did your guys say why Dennison wanted to make such a brash move?

Yeah, he was taking some heat for the offense’s regression. They were a top 10 scoring offense 2 straight years and then fell flat. He believed that it was because Tyrod wasn’t equipped to run his offense (which he wasn’t). Dennison felt that Peterman would deliver the ball on time and was more suited to run the west coast offense.

When it failed that was basically the nail in Dennison’s coffin. Anybody though that makes players fit their system instead of making their system fit the players is destined to fail. I’m encouraged by Daboll’s strong belief that you play to your strengths and to an opponents weakness.

FWIW, and I don’t know if I should be sharing this McDermott actually apologized to the team about it after. I actually thought that McDermott showed great leadership in that situation. He took the bullet publicly and held himself accountable to the team. 

• Like (+1) 3

6 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Yeah, he was taking some heat for the offense’s regression. They were a top 10 scoring offense 2 straight years and then fell flat. He believed that it was because Tyrod wasn’t equipped to run his offense (which he wasn’t). Dennison felt that Peterman would deliver the ball on time and was more suited to run the west coast offense.

When it failed that was basically the nail in Dennison’s coffin. Anybody though that makes players fit their system instead of making their system fit the players is destined to fail. I’m encouraged by Daboll’s strong belief that you play to your strengths and to an opponents weakness.

FWIW, and I don’t know if I should be sharing this McDermott actually apologized to the team about it after. I actually thought that McDermott showed great leadership in that situation. He took the bullet publicly and held himself accountable to the team. 

Not to defend Dennison too much because I don't think he did a great job, but he bent over backwards to try and adapt his offense to the completely unsuited personnel on the team. Play calling, blocking schemes, passing routes were all nothing like what he has done in the past. It was like oil and water.

At some point, I'm sure he decided that if he was going to get fired then it was going to be running his offense and not some bastardized, Frankenstein version of Greg Roman's so he went with Peterman.

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, BurpleBull said:

Nathan Peterman's gonna turn it on in training camp. Just watch.

when he does, i wouldn't be surprised if the fo works a trade for a.j....at least by the deadline. ya never know when some team's qb goes down or a team is looking for a viable backup....ie. the skins or giants etc.

however, my hope is the best guy starts and i hope we carry 3. although, if it's a tie between nate and a.j., i can see the above happening.

11 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

So am I.  

Like I said it really sucked that we had to see Nate start that game.  

There’s nothing worse that throwing a rookie who was clearly not ready  to the wolves.  

not only that but nobody mentions the state of our wide receiver corp that day. who did we have...a hobble kb who had been on the team a few weeks?....if that?

who else?  why did he even have to throw to dimarco?  not to mention the line laying down and that comment by bosa. also, dennison was a disgrace from day one.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

Not too different than EJ, Tuel Time, and THADDEUS MAXIMUMS.  This years group is more experienced thoigh.

it's 100% different! we have 3 talented qbs with possible tremendous upside. those 3 were less than...well...just bad.

2 hours ago, Lfod said:

That's really my point. Peterman wasn't ready and Tyrod wasn't good enough. It was a rock and a hard place situation. 

Tyrod was the best quarterback we had. Maybe he wasn't good enough. But he was the best option, there's no rock and hard place. There's "our best chance of winning" and "not as good chance, maybe it happens, maybe we have one of the worst QB records ever who knows!"

1 hour ago, billsredneck1 said:

not only that but nobody mentions the state of our wide receiver corp that day. who did we have...a hobble kb who had been on the team a few weeks?....if that?

who else?  why did he even have to throw to dimarco?  not to mention the line laying down and that comment by bosa. also, dennison was a disgrace from day one.

SO WHY START PETERMAN. Why does Tyrod not get these excuses but we can keep saying poor Peterman had an unfair shake at things. Same offense.

2 hours ago, billsredneck1 said:

when he does, i wouldn't be surprised if the fo works a trade for a.j....at least by the deadline. ya never know when some team's qb goes down or a team is looking for a viable backup....ie. the skins or giants etc.

however, my hope is the best guy starts and i hope we carry 3. although, if it's a tie between nate and a.j., i can see the above happening.

I agree. I think Peterman or McCarron will be traded. Otherwise one of them will end up a #3 and that would be a waste. Allen will definitely get at least the #2 if for no other reason for his development.

16 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

It has everything to do with it dude 

you trash Nate and defend hopeless Tyrod.  

Thats what.  

When the Tyrod lovers stop praising him his “haters” will stop “picking” on him.  

Nates a 5th rounder.  What more should you expect?

thread is about Nate. not Tyrod ?

14 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Silly me expecting anything else from a Tyrod fan.  

It really sucked that we had to see Nate play.   

It sucked at the time, because he got crushed. I was not a fan of the move.
But looking back, and the fact he is running with the ones tells us something about his character and whats Coaches think of him. so it may have been what needed to happen.

Ballsy move by McD. and i am not totally pissed about it any more☺️

13 hours ago, Jerome007 said:

Yep. Same here.

What a QB situation the Bills have LOL Amazing upside possibilities but no proven (experienced) players at all. It must be rare! It's basically 3 rookies, with the most green being a top pick.

Exciting times , to me at least !

12 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

Not too different than EJ, Tuel Time, and THADDEUS MAXIMUMS.  This years group is more experienced thoigh.

hmmm. maybe

11 hours ago, Lfod said:

I'll ask this question. What changes if Tyrod wasn't benched and Peterman never started? I don't think much. I think the team still would of made all the moves it did up until now. Dennison would still be fired. Tyrod still would of been traded. We still all would have witnessed a 3 point playoff game. 

So anytime some one wants to make a big deal over it consider it effected very little but peoples pride. The chargers HC had Tyrods ticket. You don't think he could game plan for Tyrod having worked with him before? He knew the weaknesses. 

from a statistical perspective maybe so. But from a teams environment it was a dramatic as heck move.  Some have said the O line was none too pleased and showed it by their play for Nate.
But it did change the dynamics. and Tyrod was on notice from them on.

6 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

But looking back, and the fact he is running with the ones tells us something about his character and whats Coaches think of him. so it may have been what needed to happen.

....STILL think Dennison pleaded for the move because he was woefully inept and inconsistent working with TT....game plan one week mixed in his mobility and he performed....following week's plan was if Bledsoe was more mobile than TT......could care less about "The Five Picks" crowd or the "One & Done Gang".......kid has some promise especially grasping the speed of the game early on at this level and as long as the "Mc Triplets (McBeane, McD & McDaboll)", think so, I trust THEIR judgment....

11 hours ago, Pasaluki said:

I dont think its a totally crazy prediction. Peterman has looked much improved so far at minicamps but he will have to completely outplay AJ McCarron in TC and preseason to win the job. Obviously Allen is a wildcard too, but an argument can easily be made that he won't start the season. 

Petermans issue is that he is going to have high pressure to play really well immediately because obviously us fans can't gloss over the debacle at san diego. 

and we moved up to pick our True Saviour ! he needs to start right after the first interception. I have my pitch fork honed and a glow plug installed in my Torch.
just get some blood in the the water and they will swarm.

preconceived notions can be a roadblock for an open mind

Go Peterman !

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

and we moved up to pick our True Saviour ! he needs to start right after the first interception. I have my pitch fork honed and a glow plug installed in my Torch.
just get some blood in the the water and they will swarm.

preconceived notions can be a roadblock for an open mind

Go Peterman !

...who knows?...we had fairly decent luck with another former Pitt QB,,,,,,the one that broke all of Marino's records.......

8 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...who knows?...we had fairly decent luck with another former Pitt QB,,,,,,the one that broke all of Marino's records.......

I will be fine cheering who ever starts .
Hope AJ and Nate are neck and neck because they play well.

And i also hope the O line and Rec corps is sorted and ready to rock !
Plenty of time for hope remains. 
enjoy the summer  Pops ! Fall is when we can get prickly and irritable

5 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

I will be fine cheering who ever starts .
Hope AJ and Nate are neck and neck because they play well.

And i also hope the O line and Rec corps is sorted and ready to rock !
Plenty of time for hope remains. 
enjoy the summer  Pops ! Fall is when we can get prickly and irritable

...having a hard time remembering the last time we had this much potential promise (sure it's QTA's, etc) at the QB spot with THREE candidates....sure as hell would be gratifying if we came out of this with the next "Kelly/Reich-One/Two Punch" .....LOOOOOOOOOOONG overdue IMO.......

2 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

He was having an affair with Nasty Nates's mom? 

It was a bold move. By McD.
Young Team learning. That was a formidable lesson.
likely no one distinct factor played into such decision ?

1 hour ago, 3rdand12 said:

Exciting times , to me at least !

hmmm. maybe

I was surprised (sort of) by the move but I understand why it was done.  

Do so I blame them for trying?   No.   

McDermott had been saying it was too early to send in the rookie.  

Maybe it was more that just Dennison  but alas we may never know the full story.