Don't mess with a Georgia Granny

Granny is a tad bit misleading; she’s 46. 

Regardless, worth the read for these two lines alone:

“She loves hard and is one heck of a woman!” on the gofundme page set up for her medical expenses. 

and

“Thank God I am not a little woman...”

5 minutes ago, transient said:

“She loves hard and is one heck of a woman!” on the gofundme page set up for her medical expenses. 

and

I think it may be one of life’s little blessings that the link didn’t work. Why can’t I control myself???

2 minutes ago, Augie said:

I think it may be one of life’s little blessings that the link didn’t work. Why can’t I control myself???

http://www.foxnews.com/science/2018/06/15/georgia-woman-strangles-kills-rabid-bobcat-after-it-attacks-her-it-came-for-my-face.html

Click it.  ...CLICK IT!   ...You know you want to!

• Haha (+1) 3

1 minute ago, transient said:

I’m NOT falling for the double dare! YOU can’t make me!

At least not yet.... one more glass of.....NO! I won’t!

(I’m telling myself...) 

15 hours ago, Azalin said:

That woman must be sliced and shredded to pieces. I can only imagine how much damage those rear claws did before she killed it.

Sounds like it. 

Another of life's little puzzles is why rabies prevention treatment in UK costs the equivalent of $1,600, but in USA $10,000.

Families go into debt to get their children preventive treatment for a virus that is close to 100% fatal if contracted.

18 hours ago, transient said:

and

46 is not an atypical age for a grandma; it's not even particularly young or "trashy".  If she got married at 22 straight out of college, say, she could easily have a kid who married straight out of college at 22 and still be a grandparent at 46.

If she married straight out of highschool as do a lot of folks in rural communities, and had a child who did the same, she could easily have 5 grandkids from infant to 9 yo.

When I worked in a major ER in Boston ~35-40 years ago, all the time we saw Grandma Mom and Toddler come in.  Grandma would be in her mid-30s and was the one to talk to about what had to be done.  Mom was sometimes not yet of age to sign legal documents.   You could easily see a great-Grandma in her 50's.

17 hours ago, Azalin said:

That woman must be sliced and shredded to pieces. I can only imagine how much damage those rear claws did before she killed it.

http://mentalfloss.com/article/80239/time-carl-akeley-killed-leopard-his-bare-hands

Cat about twice as big as a bobcat.  And about a third smaller than an average leopard.

There's another story I've read of an American hunter strangling an adult male leopard with his bare hands.  Can't seem to find it right now.  And then there's Harry Wolhuter, who killed a much bigger cat with a knife.  

Worst part about any of these stories is the resulting infection - feline predators tend to have a high bacterial load in their claws and mouth.  That woman's going to be on a high dose of broad-spectrum antibiotics for the next week, and have a good collection of interesting scars.

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Sounds like it. 

Another of life's little puzzles is why rabies prevention treatment in UK costs the equivalent of $1,600, but in USA $10,000.

Families go into debt to get their children preventive treatment for a virus that is close to 100% fatal if contracted.

46 is not an atypical age for a grandma; it's not even particularly young or "trashy".  If she got married at 22 straight out of college, say, she could easily have a kid who married straight out of college at 22 and still be a grandparent at 46.

If she married straight out of highschool as do a lot of folks in rural communities, and had a child who did the same, she could easily have 5 grandkids from infant to 9 yo.

When I worked in a major ER in Boston ~35-40 years ago, all the time we saw Grandma Mom and Toddler come in.  Grandma would be in her mid-30s and was the one to talk to about what had to be done.  Mom was sometimes not yet of age to sign legal documents.   You could easily see a great-Grandma in her 50's.

Don’t get me wrong. I’m not disputing she’s a grandmother, or casting any judgement on the fact she’s a young grandmother. I’m suggesting that the frail, old, cane-toting connotation that “granny” might conjure up may not paint an accurate picture of a 46 year old bare-handed bobcat killing, hard lovin’, self-admitted “not little” woman. 

Put a different way, she just strangled a rabid bobcat. Are you gonna call her granny to her face?  ?

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Mostly ER costs.  Travel vaccinations (i.e. pre-exposure) in both countries are roughly in line.  But when you get bit, you go to the ER in the US for the entire course of treatment - the majority of which cost is the initial visit for the immunoglobulin shot (which ends up costing about $8000, after all the billing.)  In the UK...there actually is no rabies, so there's no comparable cost, as no one gets administered IG.  As far as I can find, a course of IG costs about $1500, but there's no basis for administrative costs, as no one ever incurs them.

In the US, the same people SHOULD be able to do both...but an animal bite is an emergency, so our "managed care" managers require us to follow the proper emergency medicine procedures and pay through the nose.  Often in the US, when co-pays and out-of-pocket maximums are factored in, you can save money by skipping the ER and paying out-of-pocket at a Dr's office or a clinic that offers travel vaccinations.

3 hours ago, transient said:

Don’t get me wrong. I’m not disputing she’s a grandmother, or casting any judgement on the fact she’s a young grandmother. I’m suggesting that the frail, old, cane-toting connotation that “granny” might conjure up may not paint an accurate picture of a 46 year old bare-handed bobcat killing, hard lovin’, self-admitted “not little” woman. 

Put a different way, she just strangled a rabid bobcat. Are you gonna call her granny to her face?  ?

Ah-Ha!  I see your point.  Nossir, to her face, I call her "ma'am"!

2 hours ago, DC Tom said:

Mostly ER costs.  Travel vaccinations (i.e. pre-exposure) in both countries are roughly in line.  But when you get bit, you go to the ER in the US for the entire course of treatment - the majority of which cost is the initial visit for the immunoglobulin shot (which ends up costing about $8000, after all the billing.)  In the UK...there actually is no rabies, so there's no comparable cost, as no one gets administered IG.  As far as I can find, a course of IG costs about $1500, but there's no basis for administrative costs, as no one ever incurs them.

In the US, the same people SHOULD be able to do both...but an animal bite is an emergency, so our "managed care" managers require us to follow the proper emergency medicine procedures and pay through the nose.  Often in the US, when co-pays and out-of-pocket maximums are factored in, you can save money by skipping the ER and paying out-of-pocket at a Dr's office or a clinic that offers travel vaccinations.

Even at a a Dr's office:

http://www.latimes.com/business/lazarus/la-fi-lazarus-rabies-vaccine-prices-20160906-snap-story.html

12 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Ah-Ha!  I see your point.  Nossir, to her face, I call her "ma'am"!

Even at a a Dr's office:

http://www.latimes.com/business/lazarus/la-fi-lazarus-rabies-vaccine-prices-20160906-snap-story.html

For her third shot, Jan visited Torrance Memorial Medical Center. It was a Sunday, and she had to go to the emergency room, so that added considerably to her cost.

4 hours ago, DC Tom said:

(emergency room visit in linked article)

I was thinking of this part:

Jan received her second Verorab shot at a clinic in northern Thailand. The bill this time: A mere $18.50, which provides the best evidence of the drug's actual cost. Even with the clinic's overhead factored in, a shot of Verorab, which is manufactured by French pharmaceutical firm Sanofi Pasteur, was priced well below $20.

... Shot No. 4 was administered at the Redondo Beach branch of HealthCare Partners medical group. This time the bill was $427.

Below $20 to $427.

I work at a University in california and one day a few years back a bobcat parked itself on the walkway leading down from where I park my car in the morning.....wasnt bothering anybody but definately had the "dont F with me thing going on with the flicking of its tail"

I literally had to stand there and make sure the international students didnt try to pet it like it was a pet till animal services arrived to move it......one girl was being persistant about it I am like "that thing will take your arm off!"

1 hour ago, John from Riverside said:

I work at a University in california and one day a few years back a bobcat parked itself on the walkway leading down from where I park my car in the morning.....wasnt bothering anybody but definately had the "dont F with me thing going on with the flicking of its tail"

I literally had to stand there and make sure the international students didnt try to pet it like it was a pet till animal services arrived to move it......one girl was being persistant about it I am like "that thing will take your arm off!"

So you're saying that people from countries outside of the U.S., aren't smart enough to figure out that a bobcat isn't as friendly as a playful kitten?

33 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I dont know how to answer that in a way that is not insulting to them.....so I will plead the fifth.

John!  What would your girlfriend say?!?!?!?!