Survival as a Restaurant Server

Kid just started a summer job as a busser at a high-end Italian restaurant.

Any servers or former servers on here have any survival tips for her?

She already invested in the most comfortable pair of non-slip shoes she could find, out of about 15 pairs tried on at 4 stores, also pack of men's cotton undershirts so she doesn't get her white dress shirts as sweat-stained.  I told her make nice with the servers and ask feedback on what else she should be doing to better support their work, bigger tips for them = more $$ for her.

She's being paid $9/hr during training, afterwards she'll get $3.89 plus tips.  The other bussers told her typically $80-100/night paid in cash.

• Like (+1) 1

Every time you turn a corner, yell "Corner!".  You don't know who is coming from the other side and people move fast.  I've seen a guy carrying 5 drinks on a tray and got ran into by another server....drinks spilled everywhere.

Be nice to the kitchen staff.  Orders will mess up i.e side of ranch not on the plate, burger needs cheese, rings instead of fries etc.....if you are on their good side, they will fix it fast.  If not, they will sit on it.

Don't take it personal with rude customers....that's just them.  In college I worked at Applebees and we had "all you can eat ribs" and one night, we ran out of ribs.  One guy at my table took it out on me and was basically trash talking me even after we gave him a gift certificate worth the amount he paid.  I got so heated that I mouthed back and he stood up to fight me.  My boss ran over and pulled me away.  I was 19 so my maturity level wasn't high so I couldn't control myself.

If it's busy at all, don't stand around.  Other waiters hate seeing that especially if there's things that need to be done.  My last restaurant didn't have bussers so we did everything our selves.  We had to fill the ice bin, run the dishwasher, put the racks back where the cups were, help bus other tables etc....

I got in really good with the kitchen staff because if I had time, I would help them with filling up the dressing bottles, get stuff from the freezer/fridge, sweep up around their area and even get them drinks.  It's hot in the kitchen and they are moving a million miles an hour....help them out.

Double check your orders before putting them in.  You don't want customers getting onions on their burger when they didn't want it or got a med well steak when they wanted med rare.  Your tips will go down and the kitchen staff a lot of times will have to remake the meal which irritates them.  There should be a spot when they can manually put an edit in....be clear so the kitchen staff knows what you're requesting.  If they get a ticket and don't know what you're saying, they won't make it until you go back there and tell them.  So there's a delay in getting the meal cooked.

Don't fight anyone.  I got fired from Applebees because I got into a fight with another waiter in the kitchen.  I was also charged for all the coffee mugs I broke....I threw the guy on a table that had a rack of mugs on top of it that fell to the ground.

• Like (+1) 1

Yell whenever you're walking near staff with something.  "Right behind!" "Corner!" etc. all work.

You have no reason to go to the bar or kitchen to put in an order without having dirty dishes/glasses in your hand unless the restaurant just opened.

Write down the orders.  Nobody's impressed that you can memorize them and they're even less impressed when (not if, when) you get it wrong.

Know the menu.

KNOW THE !@#$ING MENU (yes, that includes the wine list.  I don't care how young the kid is; if they're serving alcohol they better learn it)

As a busser, get that table cleared and set as quickly as possible.  More time = fewer tables turned = less money = grumpy servers.

The kitchen staff will harass you.  Get used to it and learn to return fire.

Don't take anything the dishwasher gives you.

Royale's advice is all good.

Edited by LeviF91

Clear the table as soon as the customers finish their meal and walk away, don't let the dishes sit for long as that is a table that can't be used for the next customer.  Also, be quick about clearing the table, don't screw around...get to the table, clear the dishes, and take it to the washing area in back.  And yes, be on good terms with cooks, other servers, and especially managers.  I don't miss working at a restaurant, even though it was a long time ago when I was in high school.

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Kid just started a summer job as a busser at a high-end Italian restaurant.

Any servers or former servers on here have any survival tips for her?

She already invested in the most comfortable pair of non-slip shoes she could find, out of about 15 pairs tried on at 4 stores, also pack of men's cotton undershirts so she doesn't get her white dress shirts as sweat-stained.  I told her make nice with the servers and ask feedback on what else she should be doing to better support their work, bigger tips for them = more $$ for her.

She's being paid $9/hr during training, afterwards she'll get $3.89 plus tips.  The other bussers told her typically $80-100/night paid in cash.

Just remind her that not all people are asses even though there will be nights when it seams that way.

ps—I thought that this was an IT thread so I wasn’t going to open it. You might try a more descriptive title next time in order to avoid confusion.?

19 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Every time you turn a corner, yell "Corner!".  You don't know who is coming from the other side and people move fast.  I've seen a guy carrying 5 drinks on a tray and got ran into by another server....drinks spilled everywhere.

Be nice to the kitchen staff.  Orders will mess up i.e side of ranch not on the plate, burger needs cheese, rings instead of fries etc.....if you are on their good side, they will fix it fast.  If not, they will sit on it.

Don't take it personal with rude customers....that's just them.  In college I worked at Applebees and we had "all you can eat ribs" and one night, we ran out of ribs.  One guy at my table took it out on me and was basically trash talking me even after we gave him a gift certificate worth the amount he paid.  I got so heated that I mouthed back and he stood up to fight me.  My boss ran over and pulled me away.  I was 19 so my maturity level wasn't high so I couldn't control myself.

If it's busy at all, don't stand around.  Other waiters hate seeing that especially if there's things that need to be done.  My last restaurant didn't have bussers so we did everything our selves.  We had to fill the ice bin, run the dishwasher, put the racks back where the cups were, help bus other tables etc....

I got in really good with the kitchen staff because if I had time, I would help them with filling up the dressing bottles, get stuff from the freezer/fridge, sweep up around their area and even get them drinks.  It's hot in the kitchen and they are moving a million miles an hour....help them out.

Double check your orders before putting them in.  You don't want customers getting onions on their burger when they didn't want it or got a med well steak when they wanted med rare.  Your tips will go down and the kitchen staff a lot of times will have to remake the meal which irritates them.  There should be a spot when they can manually put an edit in....be clear so the kitchen staff knows what you're requesting.  If they get a ticket and don't know what you're saying, they won't make it until you go back there and tell them.  So there's a delay in getting the meal cooked.

Don't fight anyone.  I got fired from Applebees because I got into a fight with another waiter in the kitchen.  I was also charged for all the coffee mugs I broke....I threw the guy on a table that had a rack of mugs on top of it that fell to the ground.

All of this.

I just finished up a stint as a bartender for 10 months (divorce-related) and the two biggest things were hustling and being nice to the kitchen. When things go wrong with an order and it's her fault, make sure she knows ALL their names and is always courteous to them. They're working hard also. 

Oh and wash your hands frequently! Society is gross.

Good stuff from the folks above, so I'll add a few others:

- Never say anything negative about the restaurant to a customer.  Ever.  If someone asks your opinion on a menu item, the worst thing you should say is "it's not my personal favorite, but people sure order it a lot"

- Be efficient; always ask if there's anything else a table needs.

- Just be polite to everyone around you.  Almost any mistake can be forgiven with a good attitude.

- Use the words "sir" and "miss" in the direction of your customers (and do not say "ma'am").  Men enjoy being called sir, but calling any woman over the age of 40 "miss" will immediately be noticed and appreciated.

One other thought, especially if it’s her first job. Remind her that it’s temporary and she can put up with anything. She may find that a manager is absolute crap. If she’s like my daughter she won’t be afraid to let her/him know about it. A little diplomacy goes a long way.

• Like (+1) 1

Have a mental/internal clock to go back to a table within 2 minutes of them receiving their meal.  Make sure they got what they want.  

If they want a certain dressing for their salad or sandwich, get it to them quick.  Many customers feel uncomfortable waving down another waiter or even their own waiter.  Be there for them Jack Dawson.

2 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

One other thought, especially if it’s her first job. Remind her that it’s temporary and she can put up with anything. She may find that a manager is absolute crap. If she’s like my daughter she won’t be afraid to let her/him know about it. A little diplomacy goes a long way.

When I say anything, obviously I don’t mean literally anything. There are things she should and will walk away from immediately.

Try diplomacy and if it doesn’t work and it’s that bad turn in notice and move on.

Hi all, great advice, will pass on!

(Yes Creek good point I edited the title).

She's pretty well-socialized for a teen, able to work hard, and not likely to fight

My one concern would be if a customer gets fresh with her.   This is a pricey restaurant with pretty high-end clientele, but we all know odd things happen after the 3rd  or 4th drink.   She has athletic reflexes and if a customer tried to pinch her butt or the like she might leave him with a pretty good bruise as an automatic reaction, and then think about it.  

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Hi all, great advice, will pass on!

(Yes Creek good point I edited the title).

I was seriously worried that you were going cyborg on us by turning yourself into a server. We already have Tom, don’t need another.

”Advice on being a server” 

Turn off the cellphone. Or better, leave it in the car. Best case scenario, the phone gets greasy; gross.

There is always something to do, and when there isn't, the best thing is to get to know people instead of zoning out on your phone. It's the dead times when you get the best chance to interact with your fellow wage slaves. Learn the tendencies of the servers you're helping. Some like a lot of help, others want to be left alone. Some even want to leave a table dirty so they can get some down time.

Don't ever stand around doing nothing. At worst, just wipe down the counters; At least for the first few months. Tell her she hasn't earned the right to do nothing yet.

don't drop an f bomb.  my wife and i were out to dinner a month or two ago, and the server just dumped it out there.  not in an angry way towards us, but just as a normal part of the convo.  i don't mind the word, but at a place that was relatively nice, it was surprising.  

56 minutes ago, teef said:

don't drop an f bomb.  my wife and i were out to dinner a month or two ago, and the server just dumped it out there.  not in an angry way towards us, but just as a normal part of the convo.  i don't mind the word, but at a place that was relatively nice, it was surprising.  

Haha, yeah, she said the busser who was training her "swore a lot" but "seemed harmless". 

I can see where if that's normal part of a guy's conversation, it would tend to slip out.

1 hour ago, BringBackFergy said:

I worked in a snooty country club during a semester of college.  The members were grade A !@#$s.  I can bite my tongue to a certain extent...but that job lasted four weeks.

Hoping your daughter is patient (unlike me)

I think it helps that it's a Sicilian-style Italian restaurant, started by a 1st generation Sicilian and now run by his son.  Better food than your local country club, and higher expectations of customer behavior.

It turns out she was told if anyone got inappropriate with her "just tell Frank (owner)" 

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

It turns out she was told if anyone got inappropriate with her "just tell Frank (owner)" 

Does the offending customer get whacked?

7 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Haha, yeah, she said the busser who was training her "swore a lot" but "seemed harmless". 

I can see where if that's normal part of a guy's conversation, it would tend to slip out.

I think it helps that it's a Sicilian-style Italian restaurant, started by a 1st generation Sicilian and now run by his son.  Better food than your local country club, and higher expectations of customer behavior.

Perfect

1 hour ago, teef said:

I had no idea you were so classy, teef! Kudos.

I was never a server..but damn I eat out a ton!

If a server does this one thing..they get a big bump in tip from me.

About 5 minutes before the entrees come out..go to the table and ask if anyone needs a refresh of drink or glass of wine. Huge huge to me from a service perspective.

I am usually a beer/cocktail guy sitting down and apps. wine with the entree. I hate when the server never visits between courses..takes your wine order when entrees arrive, and delivers the wine 10 minutes later as your plate is 70% finished.

I usually tip 18-20%..will go 25-30% if someone does that!

• Like (+1) 1