World Cup 2018 Thread

Our Grandfather passed away early yesterday morning. He was a huge soccer fan and yesterday's result would have put a massive smile on his face.

The sun was shining all day and our national soccer team brought us a moment where our grief stopped for a few minutes. I'd like to think that victory was for my Grandad Harold. 

Edited by BritBill
  • Like (+1) 4

On ‎6‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 4:33 PM, row_33 said:

a few co-workers from there were way into it, the first time I've seen them care about a sporting event

so do you want Portugal to face Russia or Uruguay in the first elimination game???

[Portugal is NOT losing to Iran, don't worry all that much]

Im pretty nervous to be honest. Portugal has a habit of not showing up when it counts.

I would rather play Russia 

4 hours ago, BritBill said:

Our Grandfather passed away early yesterday morning. He was a huge soccer fan and yesterday's result would have put a massive smile on his face.

The sun was shining all day and our national soccer team brought us a moment where our grief stopped for a few minutes. I'd like to think that victory was for my Grandad Harold. 

:beer:

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I just noticed that they scheduled the final games in each group at the same time this week.  I like that -- of course they can scoreboard watch but it makes every game meaningful.

• Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, eball said:

I just noticed that they scheduled the final games in each group at the same time this week.  I like that -- of course they can scoreboard watch but it makes every game meaningful.

they've done that since the 1978 fiasco

1 hour ago, BritBill said:

Its has 1-0 Portugal with Ronaldo scoring the goal written all over it.

fans of Portugal can tremble, nobody else thinks this will be a challenge...  :D

14 minutes ago, Canadian Bills Fan said:

Sure hope you are right!

I will expect to avoid LIttle POrtugal on the drive home tonight to avoid the celebration in the streets.

1 hour ago, eball said:

the last straw of rigging games through different starts was the 1978 WC where Argentina knew it needed a 4-0 win over Peru to advance to the final and was handed a 6-0 win, taking out Brazil.

The 1978 WC took place in Argentina still under the pressure of a military coup, so things were very edge.

Edited by row_33
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 6/23/2018 at 2:45 PM, RaoulDuke79 said:

Die Deutschen sind in Schwierigkeiten.

Group F chances of advancing (according to Ladbrokes odds)
- 83.79% Germany
- 82.48% Mexico
- 31.42% Sweden
- 02.30% South Korea

On 6/23/2018 at 1:22 PM, Pete said:

German-Sweden match was excellent.  Germany was behind most of the game.  Sweden got jobbed out of a penalty kick, and played great.  Chippy play.  All 3 goals excellent.  Game winner game scored with less than a minute of stoppage time left.  Just an incredible strike!  Sweden-Mexico will be excellent game, and probably an elimination game.  Wednesday should be fantastic soccer

In every sport. NFL, NHL, soccer it always is a bad, bad strategy to circle the wagons and turtle. I understand the concept of protecting against the deep pass and quick strike. The thought of giving up half of the ice or playing field without resistance has always seemed a much worse option. Especially against highly skilled teams. Sweden was so dumb to play passive against the world champs who were down a man! The manager should be fired. No way I would play it that way. I would attack in the German end and force them to work their way out. Tougher when down a guy.

10 minutes ago, Dante said:

In every sport. NFL, NHL, soccer it always is a bad, bad strategy to circle the wagons and turtle. I understand the concept of protecting against the deep pass and quick strike. The thought of giving up half of the ice or playing field without resistance has always seemed a much worse option. Especially against highly skilled teams. Sweden was so dumb to play passive against the world champs who were down a man! The manager should be fired. No way I would play it that way. I would attack in the German end and force them to work their way out. Tougher when down a guy.

but they do it 90% of the time and shrug it off if it backfires. that's soccer.... it's why you get 3 points in club and tourney play, try to encourage them care about offence

Italy is the King of ragging the soccer ball for the last 80 minutes.  And it has backfired often on them.

Sweden turtled the whole playoff game at Italy to knock them out, an ironic reversal, but Italy always scored first, they never played for 0-0.

On 6/23/2018 at 2:54 PM, row_33 said:

It’s not excellent when a team does nothing but try not to let a goal in, rags the puck the whole game

its why North America will never love the game, wussy tactics like this don’t fly if you watch other sports

What has to change, in order for me to become something even close to a fan, is eliminate the phony diving. Not only is it hard to stomach from a competitive point of view (these guys should act more like men :) ) it absolutely sucks any kind of flow or pace out of the game. Once it gets going some guy hits the ground like he just took a Larry Holmes uppercut (see the '79 fight vs Mike Weaver).  Apon replay you see the nearest player contact was a good 2 feet away. And whats even worse the announcers make it seem like it was close. Even they can't, or are not allowed, to say how laughably fake it is.

13 minutes ago, Dante said:

What has to change, in order for me to become something even close to a fan, is eliminate the phony diving. Not only is it hard to stomach from a competitive point of view (these guys should act more like men :) ) it absolutely sucks any kind of flow or pace out of the game. Once it gets going some guy hits the ground like he just took a Larry Holmes uppercut (see the '79 fight vs Mike Weaver).  Apon replay you see the nearest player contact was a good 2 feet away. And whats even worse the announcers make it seem like it was close. Even they can't, or are not allowed, to say how laughably fake it is.

the game goes on as before, and those making suggesting to rescue it don't watch after the WC

the rest of the world thinks it is great as it is....

it's like me as an AL East fan going to a NL game and watching the pitchers strike out pathetically 6 times, and none of the locals think there's anything lousy or dumb about this....

9 minutes ago, Canadian Bills Fan said:

No way that was a red. The guy was trying to get fouled.

2-1 Spain losing to Morocco

spain is fine as long as portugal wins

dude.....  the announcers worldwide are howling at the injustice of a yellow card there....

10 minutes ago, Canadian Bills Fan said:

Oh I know Spain will go through Im just saying wasn't expecting them to be losing to Morocco

Spain slacked it off knowing they were going through.  Wise move.

oh, Iran almost knocked Portugal out!!!!

9 minutes ago, BeginnersMind said:

Spain will win the group now. 

gotta scratch my bracket from 5 minutes ago, switch Porto/Espana

8 minutes ago, Canadian Bills Fan said:

Well no chance Portugal gets passed Uruguay next. Not if they continue to play like they have been 

whole new ball game, will be a good game

Uruguay is dirty, not as dirty as CR7 and his atomic elbow there....