[Incomplete Title] Sabres (21-12-5) & NHL 2018-19 - Game 39 (MSG-B) vs. BOS (20-14-4) at 7 PM ET on 12/29

13 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

1. Rasmus Dahlin, LHD, 18 (Buffalo Sabres — 1st overall, 2018)

This wasn’t up for debate. As good as the trio of players who follow him on this list really are, I believe Dahlin has the ability to become the best defenceman in the world, taking the mantle from Erik Karlsson in the process. I don’t love the term ‘generational talent’ but that would make him one. Dahlin can break a game open offensively as a shooter, passer, and handler, and he can impact it at a high level defensively (a newer development) with his gap control and an emerging physical game. Dahlin has some of the best puck skills I’ve ever seen for a player his age, let alone a defenceman. His game will take him as far as he wants it to. For more on what makes Dahlin so special, read my stylistic breakdown of his game here.

4. Casey Mittelstadt, C, 19 (Buffalo Sabres — 8th overall, 2017)

Casey Mittelstadt is that rare mix of already-incredibly-talented and yet still super, super raw. I rarely leave a viewing in awe of young players anymore, but I remember feeling that way after watching Mittelstadt play in the 2016-2017 All-American Prospects Game at the start of his draft year. He was, in a game with players like Kailer Yamamoto and Jason Robertson, peerless. And he has just exploded ever since. Today, he’s more of a playmaker than a passer. There are spurts in games where he looks like he can create scoring chances at will and we got a brief taste of that in his end-of-year stint with the Sabres. He’s going to be a terror at the NHL level within a year or two.

This is from The Athletic.

TopProspects-1024x643.jpg

Pretty cool to have 2 of the top 4 prospects in hockey. 

Disappointing to see Nylander, a recent top 10 pick,only make it way down the list as an honorable mention. 

Even more disappointing ting not to see Tage Thompson on the list at all, even as an honorable mention. Especially with both Kyrou and Thomas in the top 17, and Klim Kostin as an honorable mention (all 3 are Blues prospects). 

But I am not sure if Thompson didn’t qualify for the list, due to playing in the NHL for a good chunk of last year. Or if he just didn’t make the cut... 

Wheeler is kind of vague about his criteria - 

That also means it’s time for my annual top 50 drafted prospects ranking. The criteria align with my team rankings. They are as follows:

• The players must be 23 and under. Data suggests that a player is largely done developing by the time he turns 23. As a result, a few players I quite like, such as Blackhawks draftee (Dylan Sikura who turned 23 in June), are excluded.
  • Players approaching that age cutoff who spent the bulk of last season in the NHL, including young talents like Sonny Milano and Travis Sanheim, were also excluded.
  • Some other players (primarily those closer to the 23-year-old cutoff) who finished the year in the NHL and look poised to return this fall, such as the Maple Leafs’ Travis Dermott and Kasperi Kapanen, were also arbitrarily excluded.

Thompson is only 20 and not yet a full time NHLer. 

But the author may have concluded that he does look poised to return to the NHL. 

Then again, he’s not really close to the age 23 cutoff.

But Wheeler leaves the age cutoff kind of open by using the word “primarily”. 

I guess it really doesn’t matter anyway. I am just curious if Thomspon didn’t make the cut or was left off. 

Edited by BillsFan4

TICKETS ON SALE FOR FOURTH ANNUAL PROSPECTS CHALLENGE

BUFFALO, N.Y. (July 31, 2018) — The Buffalo Sabres today announced tickets are on sale for the team’s annual Prospects Challengefrom Sept. 7 to 10 at Harborcenter.

The Sabres will be joined by the Boston Bruins, New Jersey Devils and Pittsburgh Penguins to compete in a round-robin challenge featuring prospects from each team. The participating teams will each play three games during the course of the event, which will be held entirely at Harborcenter.

Tickets for the games are $10 and are available for purchase in person at the KeyBank Center Box Office, by phone at 1-888-223-6000 or online at Sabres.com.

• 26CornerBlitz changed the title to Sabres & NHL 2018-19 - Jeff Skinner Acquired from Carolina
37 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Skinner eh? Have not seen the terms.

Wow, Pu and picks..and not even a 1st. I am in!

$5.7 this year..UFA at end of year. Hmm

On the bright side, he had to waive his no trade clause and agree to come here, so perhaps that bodes well for him to re-sign with the Sabres?

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, K-9 said:

On the bright side, he had to waive his no trade clause and agree to come here, so perhaps that bodes well for him to re-sign with the Sabres?

Botts must be confident he can get an extension done.   

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Botts must be confident he can get an extension done.   

If he was turning thumbs down on other trades, that bodes very well for an extension to get done here. 

• Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, stony said:

Worst case scenario, he's got good resale value at the deadline.  Like this a lot.

That's what I am thinking. I'd love to re-sign him to a decent deal, but a Skinner at the trade deadline would get you at least what we just gave up.

I liked Pu but we don't really need him and Asplund. Skinner is just what we need with Kane gone.

Canes seemed to be stuck with him turning down trades.

I think I'd like to see:

Skinner-Eichel-Reinhart

Sheary-Middlestadt-Okposo