[Incomplete Title] Sabres (21-12-5) & NHL 2018-19 - Game 39 (MSG-B) vs. BOS (20-14-4) at 7 PM ET on 12/29

51 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

I think Marty is great!  They ripped the heart and soul out of that team when they traded him!!!

Marty has that lovable infectious personality. But that shouldn't distract from the fact that he is a terrific analyst who can clearly explain with his endearing french accent the point he wants to make about the play. He is also someone who is well plugged in to what is going on in the league. 

I also like Rob Ray for his sarcasm and Paul Hamilton for his knowledge of the Sabres. But because of his knowledge of the game and engaging personality I like the talkative Marty the most. 

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Marty has that lovable infectious personality. But that shouldn't distract from the fact that he is a terrific analyst who can clearly explain with his endearing french accent the point he wants to make about the play. He is also someone who is well plugged in to what is going on in the league. 

I also like Rob Ray for his sarcasm and Paul Hamilton for his knowledge of the Sabres. But because of his knowledge of the game and engaging personality I like the talkative Marty the most. 

I love Marty, but he is so hard to listen to I wish they would move on from him.

15 hours ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

Now that was a fun game to watch. And that pass from Eichel to tie it at 5 in the third - that was straight-up filthy.

That entire face-off play was so perfectly executed and showed off so much skill from both guys I was honestly stunned for a moment watching it.

I greatly enjoyed that game. It occurred to me that the team is now good enough that it can impress with raw talent in a way that I do not think has been possible for like the last 6+ years.

I don't know how it happened, but the team seems to have rounded some type of momentous corner and is FINALLY on the rise.

I think we have a genuine shot to make the playoffs this year, and that's something I didn't think would happen during the pre-season.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

I love Marty, but he is so hard to listen to I wish they would move on from him.

To each their own. Everyone has their own preference. He's not as well polished as some but that is one of the reasons why I like him. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, JohnC said:

To each their own. Everyone has their own preference. He's not as well polished as some but that is one of the reasons why I like him. 

He seems to be a little hard to please, but there are quite a few like that around here.  I agree with you, I love Marty on the Sabres broadcast as well as on the instigators.  I don't find him difficult to listen to at all.

25 minutes ago, Bray Wyatt said:

So why did Carolina trade Skinner again??

Edit: didnt mean to quote

There were a couple reasons, I think. At least from what I’ve read. 

They have a new owner (Tom Dundon). 

He is VERY involved in the day to day decisions (and is even included in roster decision making from what has been written/said). 

He was really gung-ho about making changes - everywhere from the front office to the coaching staff to the roster. 

Dundon felt the team needed a culture change since they have the longest playoff drought in the NHL. Skinner was one of their longest tenured players. So I think they targeted him as a guy to move. Plus their new coach (who was their asst. coach for years) was rumored to not be the biggest Jeff Skinner fan. 

He fired their long tenured GM (Ron Francis) who was overly cautious about making moves (hardly ever made a trade) and hired the only guy he could find to take the job for what Dundon was willing to pay (Don Waddell). So that helped open up the ability to make moves. 

What really helped buffalo is that Skinner had a full no movement clause. He is from the Toronto area and Supposedly was only willing to come to a couple of teams (mainly buffalo and Toronto). So we got him cheaper than if there was an open bidding war. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, ricojes said:

He seems to be a little hard to please, but there are quite a few like that around here.  I agree with you, I love Marty on the Sabres broadcast as well as on the instigators.  I don't find him difficult to listen to at all.

Putting aside his accent and communications skills (which I think is good) he is an excellent analyst and is good at communicating his point. And as I said in the prior post he is knowledgeable not only about the Sabres but also about the league. There is nothing phony about Marty. Marty is Marty. And that is why I like the lively little rascal.