[Incomplete Title] Sabres (21-12-5) & NHL 2018-19 - Game 39 (MSG-B) vs. BOS (20-14-4) at 7 PM ET on 12/29

Florida made it interesting at the end, but Buffalo hung on for the win. Those were 2 very important points earned tonight, especially with Montreal up by 2 with 4 mins left and the NYI tied at 2 headed into OT.  It keeps Buffalo in a playoff spot (for now).

24 minutes ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

Phew, another freaking one goal game wtf

Right?!  All these 1 goal games are not good for my blood pressure... lol. 

26 minutes ago, shrader said:

If those two are able to score a bit more without Jack, it’s pretty much a given that they should experiment and see if Eichel can kickstart Thompson/Sheary. 

Under no circumstances should the Jack line be changed to help fix another line. You just do the best you  can with the secondary lines and hope that they can at least marginally contribute with added scoring produced by the defensemen. 

I thought that Tage played well in this game. In a year or so when his body fills out he is going to be a productive weapon for us. Let's hope that Mitts will develop more fully after a full season. This is far from being a complete team. I prefer not mortgaging any of our future assets for a short-term gain. Trust the process. 

40 minutes ago, Boca BIlls said:

Big Hands, ...............Fast Eyes, Fast Legs, Rocket Arm...

yea,, chicks be thinking something different.

Lord i hate my tiny hands!!!

5 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Under no circumstances should the Jack line be changed to help fix another line. You just do the best you  can with the secondary lines and hope that they can at least marginally contribute with added scoring produced by the defensemen. 

I thought that Tage played well in this game. In a year or so when his body fills out he is going to be a productive weapon for us. Let's hope that Mitts will develop more fully after a full season. This is far from being a complete team. I prefer not mortgaging any of our future assets for a short-term gain. Trust the process. 

dude, we are in a position to make some moves. A #2 center is desperately needed..and this team and fan base needs a playoff appearance. 3 number 1s..eh. Get me one so for a combination of picks and decent prospect like Olufson or Smith..i all good.

BTW, Ullmark should be the #1 at least for the time being

Edited by plenzmd1

5 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

dude, we are in a position to make some moves. A #2 center is desperately needed..and this team and fan base needs a playoff appearance. 3 number 1s..eh. Get me one so for a combination of picks and decent prospect like Olufson or Smith..i all good.

BTW, Ullmark should be the #1 at least for the time being

Nope, I'm not panicking and selling off assets. For what you are offering you are not going to get a #2 center unless it is a rental. I see Mitts being our future #2 center. He won't be an authentic #2 this year but I believe he will be by next year. 

The Sabres are going to be vying for a wild-card playoff spot. That's the caliber of team they are right now. In my mind they are positioned where they should be. Be patient and let players such as Mitt and Tage develop. I'm counting on them to make a significant leap next year. Trust the process. 

1 minute ago, JohnC said:

Nope, I'm not panicking and selling off assets. For what you are offering you are not going to get a #2 center unless it is a rental. I see Mitts being our future #2 center. He won't be an authentic #2 this year but I believe he will be by next year. 

The Sabres are going to be vying for a wild-card playoff spot. That's the caliber of team they are right now. In my mind they are positioned where they should be. Be patient and let players such as Mitt and Tage develop. I'm counting on them to make a significant leap next year. Trust the process. 

Screw the process   You like to hold assets for future , ala Kane two years ago  ?I like to recognize an opportunity today. As you are fully aware , I am not a huge Risto fan going back to two years where the numbers said he was a net nagative, and you and everyone in this thread killed me. . include him and a prospect and first and get a # 2 center now. 

We we need some fun and hope, not more staybthe freaking course for a day that may never come. 

All IMHO of course?

1 minute ago, plenzmd1 said:

Screw the process   You like to hold assets for future , ala Kane two years ago  ?I like to recognize an opportunity today. As you are fully aware , I am not a huge Risto fan going back to two years where the numbers said he was a net nagative, and you and everyone in this thread killed me. . include him and a prospect and first and get a # 2 center now. 

We we need some fun and hope, not more staybthe freaking course for a day that may never come.

All IMHO of course?

You are exaggerating what the Kane return could bring because he was a player who was entering his free agent year and was also a player who had character issues. We got what we could for him and retained cap space. The market wasn't as rich as you think it was. 

You may not be enamored with Risto but the organization thinks highly of him. He is our anchor defenseman who gets more ice time than any player on the team. 

I don't understand your lamentations about hope? The Sabres were the worst team in the league last year. They were dreadful and unwatchable. Now they are serious wild-card playoff contenders and for the most part entertaining to watch. The competition to get in the playoffs will probably go to the wire. If that isn't progress then I don't know what is. Be patient and you will be rewarded. Trust me, I will not lead you astray. ?

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

All IMHO of course?

I generally agree with you, but I think you're undervaluing Risto. He's a keeper, especially since he's got a better defense crew around him.  Two years ago, who did he have to help him out?

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, JohnC said:

This team will go nowhere as long as essentially all production comes from one line. If Reinhart/Skinner are able to generate steady offense in Jack’s absence (a huge if), there is absolutely zero harm in throwing him on a new line when he gets back. It’s not like it would be permanent. You see if he can spark a second line and if not, you move him back. He won’t auddenly lose his chemistry with those two if he’s away from them for a couple games. Then there’s the Pittsburgh model of throwing the big guns together during a game when a goal is badly needed. There’s absolutely nothing to lose in the big picture by testing this out.  

Again, it’s all one huge if. And quite frankly, I don’t see them producing consistently while he’s out. 

• Like (+1) 1

Dear Phil:

Nice, much needed win. Well done.

Now, get your head out of your ass and get Dahlin back on the left side where he belongs. Doesn’t matter what you do with Scandella. 

Thanks.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, shrader said:

This team will go nowhere as long as essentially all production comes from one line. If Reinhart/Skinner are able to generate steady offense in Jack’s absence (a huge if), there is absolutely zero harm in throwing him on a new line when he gets back. It’s not like it would be permanent. You see if he can spark a second line and if not, you move him back. He won’t auddenly lose his chemistry with those two if he’s away from them for a couple games. Then there’s the Pittsburgh model of throwing the big guns together during a game when a goal is badly needed. There’s absolutely nothing to lose in the big picture by testing this out.  

Again, it’s all one huge if. And quite frankly, I don’t see them producing consistently while he’s out. 

I understand your position but I still resolutely say no. I agree with you that the Sabres are very unbalanced in scoring. The obvious reality is that this is simply not a complete team. The Pittsburgh model of spreading out the big boy talent won't work here because even with their secondary lines they have more talent. My hope is that Tage and Mitts and others can marginally increase their production with the contribution from the defensemen to spread out the scoring a little more. 

The Sabres are a team that is going to fight for a wild-card spot up to the end of the season. That's what they are and that's where they are at. This team has made a quantum leap from last year to this year. I'm not totally satisfied yet I'm not complaining. Don't take the expedient route and the expense of the future more rewarding route. We are not there yet but we are not that far away from being a serious team. Trust the process and you will be rewarded.  

50 minutes ago, JohnC said:

You are exaggerating what the Kane return could bring because he was a player who was entering his free agent year and was also a player who had character issues. We got what we could for him and retained cap space. The market wasn't as rich as you think it was. 

You may not be enamored with Risto but the organization thinks highly of him. He is our anchor defenseman who gets more ice time than any player on the team. 

I don't understand your lamentations about hope? The Sabres were the worst team in the league last year. They were dreadful and unwatchable. Now they are serious wild-card playoff contenders and for the most part entertaining to watch. The competition to get in the playoffs will probably go to the wire. If that isn't progress then I don't know what is. Be patient and you will be rewarded. Trust me, I will not lead you astray. ?

I wanted Kane gone  the the middle of his second year, a full year before his walk year. I know you remember those arguments?

The Sabres have been the worst team in the league 3 of the last 5 years. Every year for the last 3 has had a plan on how next year would be our year. Next year is now! 3 first rounders , I would rather have a 2nd line center now.  We need some freaking hope and olayoff games! 

Edited by plenzmd1

10 hours ago, snafu said:

I generally agree with you, but I think you're undervaluing Risto. He's a keeper, especially since he's got a better defense crew around him.  Two years ago, who did he have to help him out?

The individual analytics that Plez used for Risto when he was playing on an expansion caliber team do not reflect the actual talent and his potential. Right now Risto is the anchor on that much upgraded unit. In addition, because of the increase in talent it has allowed him to expand his offensive game. Risto represents the hope of this franchise in that younger players getting better and growing together. 

If one compares our defensive unit of a few years back to the current defensive unit (which will get even better) then one would be optimistic about the upward trajectory of this unit and team. When the plan is starting to work that is not the time to get frustrated and impatient and deviate from what is working.