Rules of Being a Sports Fan

I refer to it whenever I get into arguments about people being a "true fan" or not. I switched baseball allegiances from the Indians to the Astros. But in perfect accordance with these rules because

A: I moved from Buffalo, which doesn't have a local MLB team to root for. 
B: I rooted for the Indians because they were the Bisons' parent club. Then switching farm teams on us, is the equivalent of a team abandoning a city. 

I like leaving friends alone and wait for them to call first

this column was in 2002 though, Bill wrote a few later columns about Social Media friends by the dozen zinging him a half second after his team was obviously going to lose that game.

2 minutes ago, row_33 said:

I like leaving friends alone and wait for them to call first

this column was in 2002 though, Bill wrote a few later columns about Social Media friends by the dozen zinging him a half second after his team was obviously going to lose that game.

My brother is a Dolphins fan. He's the one exception I make for this rule. I'll call him right away.

16 minutes ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

My brother is a Dolphins fan. He's the one exception I make for this rule. I'll call him right away.

By all means that's fine to rip into him endlessly  :D

older fans need a break from discussing their team's disappointments.

5 minutes ago, row_33 said:

By all means that's fine to rip into him endlessly  :D

older fans need a break from discussing their team's disappointments.

I live in Houston now. Last time my brother came to visit it happened to be a Bills/Dolphins weekend. We went to the bar, and drank on one tab. Loser (which ended up being him) paid. 

I tuned out Bill Simmons many years ago, due to his whiny voice and Boston homerism.    Just one of those guys I can't stand.   So it's been at least a few years since I read or listened to anything he produced.   

But I will give him credit, that this is a pretty good list of rules.   Don't agree with number 9 that it's OK to root against your team and  bet against your team (generally a bad idea to bet real money in either direction involving your favorite team).   Otherwise it's  a consistent and well reasoned rules of fandom. 

3 minutes ago, Reks Ryan said:

I tuned out Bill Simmons many years ago, due to his whiny voice and Boston homerism.    Just one of those guys I can't stand.   So it's been at least a few years since I read or listened to anything he produced.   

But I will give him credit, that this is a pretty good list of rules.   Don't agree with number 9 that it's OK to root against your team and  bet against your team (generally a bad idea to bet real money in either direction involving your favorite team).   Otherwise it's  a consistent and well reasoned rules of fandom. 

I'll admit to rooting against the Sabres in the McEichel race. But never any other time. And I never put money on my own team. Unless it's a low wager friendly one with a friend that roots for the opposing team. 

32 minutes ago, Jay_Fixit said:

On some bizarro planet you reside on?

and you are suggesting in his place, whom and what????

this board only talks about the media to attack Buffalo News writers and radio locals

• Thank you (+1) 1

We had season's tickets for the local AAA baseball team in the late 80s - early 90s, and I always found it 'bush league' that the scoreboard and sound system would be playing 'Hit the Road, Jack' or something similar when the opposing pitcher would get into the 8th or 9th inning on a one hitter, and be relieved.  You could look around and see the true baseball fans applauding his efforts.  A small point, but I guess baseball has these gaps in the action to fill.  Football only has penalties for 'too many men on the field'. ?

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013

7 & 9 can sometimes go together on message boards.  When fans call other fans losers because we are rooting for a 4 or 5 win team not to win game 5 or 6 in December, I feel like I have to keep reminding them that they are not part of the team.  Only the team's players & management have to try to win every game, even when the games don't matter & it's better to lose & get a higher pick.  As a fan, I'm rooting for anything that will bring a championship to my team.  If losing one extra game for an out of the playoffs team gives the Bills a shot at a better player I'm all for it.  To those who say it doesn't matter where you draft, but who you draft, remember the next time you complain that the Bills gave up too much draft capital to move up for a player they want, that if they hadn't won that 5th game in December, they might have been drafting high enough that there was no need to trade up.   Obviously this wasn't the case in 2017 since they were trying to make the playoffs & you don't root against a team in playoff contention, but some really lousy Bills teams have won one extra meaningless game in an otherwise dreadful season and the win set the team back for years.  

..in today's climate, it's hard to get the "warm & fuzzy" safe feeling about being a fan in attendance....look at soccer worldwide.......murders, assaults and stampedes over a bad call or "L"?....closer to home, how about the assaults, fights, etc at NFL & MLB games OVER A GAME, some have which resulted in death?.....many folks here have proudly discussed Bills jerseys in their closet...do you really feel safe wearing one to an away game, or more importantly wearing one with your wife and kids accompanying you?.....

2 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

..in today's climate, it's hard to get the "warm & fuzzy" safe feeling about being a fan in attendance....look at soccer worldwide.......murders, assaults and stampedes over a bad call or "L"?....closer to home, how about the assaults, fights, etc at NFL & MLB games OVER A GAME, some have which resulted in death?.....many folks here have proudly discussed Bills jerseys in their closet...do you really feel safe wearing one to an away game, or more importantly wearing one with your wife and kids accompanying you?.....

You can wear a Bills jersey to a game in Jacksonville, you’ll be in the majority from my experience.  ?

How does a Bruins fan tell himself it is righteous to stop cheering because of owner--manager disasters.  Did they have a few bad years?  He doesn't go back to pre-Bobby Orr incompetence.

Has he never heard of the loyalty of Leafs fans?

23 minutes ago, row_33 said:

and you are suggesting in his place, whom and what????

this board only talks about the media to attack Buffalo News writers and radio locals

Bill Simmons is good at knowing basketball.

That’s it. His knowledge of other sports rivals a deaf monkey.

1 minute ago, Augie said:

You can wear a Bills jersey to a game in Jacksonville, you’ll be in the majority from my experience.  ?

...LMAO.....Hefty Bag's best customer to cover seats and issue a "sellout proclamation"....maybe Marrone wears Bills underwear............