Westworld

I watched Season 1 and greatly enjoyed it.  Also caught the @ 1973 (?) movie the show is based on a few weeks ago.

Am watching Season 2 with interest but have found it a big disappointment so far.

The show has acquired an overly artistic, moody look and feel. Too much dramatic music softly playing during dialogue scenes, with characters speaking slowly and dramatically in a way people don't speak.  The whole thing feels detached. 

I'm afraid the base concept of the show worked for a single season, but not more.  The old west motif was interesting and the character arc the robots went through as they gained sentience was interesting to see develop.  

But now the narrative tension has been resolved, the robots know who they are what the deal is, and they have rebelled and killed everyone.  Not sure where you can go from there.

Also, the old west thing is apparently running thin, hence the "British colonial India" theme being briefly introduced and now we are moving into Feudal Japan Land based on the last scene of the last episode!  I'll enjoy that aspect of the show if it sticks around as I have an interest in that period of history. 

I will keep watching but I hope the show improves.

1 hour ago, Fadingpain said:

I watched Season 1 and greatly enjoyed it.  Also caught the @ 1973 (?) movie the show is based on a few weeks ago.

Am watching Season 2 with interest but have found it a big disappointment so far.

The show has acquired an overly artistic, moody look and feel. Too much dramatic music softly playing during dialogue scenes, with characters speaking slowly and dramatically in a way people don't speak.  The whole thing feels detached. 

I'm afraid the base concept of the show worked for a single season, but not more.  The old west motif was interesting and the character arc the robots went through as they gained sentience was interesting to see develop.  

But now the narrative tension has been resolved, the robots know who they are what the deal is, and they have rebelled and killed everyone.  Not sure where you can go from there.

Also, the old west thing is apparently running thin, hence the "British colonial India" theme being briefly introduced and now we are moving into Feudal Japan Land based on the last scene of the last episode!  I'll enjoy that aspect of the show if it sticks around as I have an interest in that period of history. 

I will keep watching but I hope the show improves.

But it's like the robots are turning human and having human emotions. When Teddy was going execute the soldier, but then shot beside his head and let him go instead. Dolores saw it and seemed disappointed. Also, when the writer told Maeve or Logan (I cant remember which one) they we supposed to love someone else and not each other. I'm wondering if Ford didn't plan this from the beginning.

• 4 weeks later...

I am behind in watching.  Just caught the first episode centered on "Shogun World" last night.  Thought it was the best episode of Season 2 by far.  Will watch another episode tonight.  

Anyone else enjoying the switch to feudal Japan?  I prefer that backdrop much more than the old west theme.

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

Is it possible that this show outsmarted itself and got so convoluted that people gave up?

Not me. Thoroughly enjoyed S2. 

On 5/11/2018 at 6:46 PM, RaoulDuke79 said:

But it's like the robots are turning human and having human emotions. When Teddy was going execute the soldier, but then shot beside his head and let him go instead. Dolores saw it and seemed disappointed. Also, when the writer told Maeve or Logan (I cant remember which one) they we supposed to love someone else and not each other. I'm wondering if Ford didn't plan this from the beginning.

most certainly, he is the puppet master

On 5/10/2018 at 10:04 PM, RaoulDuke79 said:

I know there was a thread. And I tried searching for it but couldn't find it. Is anybody watching it this year? Im more confused than ever.

I thought the show ended but apparently there is a season 3 coming. That's nice. I won't watch it. I gave Westworld two seasons. It was classic JJ Abrams. Confuse the f### out of you and call it art. I'm done.

15 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I thought the show ended but apparently there is a season 3 coming. That's nice. I won't watch it. I gave Westworld two seasons. It was classic JJ Abrams. Confuse the f### out of you and call it art. I'm done.

Not enough sex in S2 for you?

10 hours ago, Cripple Creek said:

Not enough sex in S2 for you?

You know, now that you mention it, there has definitely been less nudity/sex in S2 compared to the first season.

I also enjoyed the many scenes back at the lab last year where the various "Robots" were sitting around nude!  The women who worked at the brothel were pretty hot.  Hasn't been nearly as much of that sort of thing this year.

This reminds me: for some who have not seen Game of Thrones, some of the episodes/seasons were so heavily filled with strong sexual content...it was just fantastic.  Worth watching on that basis alone.

2 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

You know, now that you mention it, there has definitely been less nudity/sex in S2 compared to the first season.

I also enjoyed the many scenes back at the lab last year where the various "Robots" were sitting around nude!  The women who worked at the brothel were pretty hot.  Hasn't been nearly as much of that sort of thing this year.

This reminds me: for some who have not seen Game of Thrones, some of the episodes/seasons were so heavily filled with strong sexual content...it was just fantastic.  Worth watching on that basis alone.

There was a lot more sex in the early Game of Thrones.   For some reason, most shows do this.   At the moment, I can't think of any that had more as the series went on.  And I would have though there should be a couple in an effort "to save the series."

I agree the sex is used early to help build the fan base, then it tends to go away.

I am a fan of both of these women below.

How do others feel about the woman on the right?  She has an interesting look.  She's from Armenia.

image.jpg

On 6/28/2018 at 10:01 PM, RaoulDuke79 said:

Is it possible that this show outsmarted itself and got so convoluted that people gave up?

Yeah.  The ratings for the season finale were down 30% on the final episode compared to last year.  Too many timelines/unsolved mysteries (reminds me of "Lost") and not enough character development to get any emotional response from me when a character died.  There were still some excellent stand alone episodes though so it's still worth watching.  Bringing Anthony Hopkins back helped.