what would you do...... ?

Foxx

time for another edition of, what would you do......

okay heres the deal. after our last dog Benteley passed, we went looking for another. we decided to get two this time. we found a brother and sister, same dad different moms, from a breeder that we liked. so we get them home and the little girl is just the most affectionate, loving dog you could ever want. he was more into his own thing, a dude right?

anyways, here we are 4 years later and the dude has become the most affectionate, loving one all while still being into his own thing. very cool, great dog. the girl, she is way too smart for her own good. she is actually a real pain in the ass. pees on the floor, not that she can't help it, but she does it on purpose so she can get yelled at or just to get more attention. she is jealous as all get out. anytime the dude gets petted, she runs up and you have to pet her too. if he runs up after you, she will growl at him and go after his hind legs. she doesn't really bite down hard but this jealously thing is out of control. it's not like she is neglected in anyway, we always try to treat them both equally.

then there is the whole petting thing with her. you start to pet her and it just isn't good enough, she wants to be petted here... no no, pet me here.... no no pet me here... no no now i want to be petted here. it is getting almost impossible to pet her. did i mention that she is on a time delay? you call her to come in, or to do just about anything other than eat and she just sits there and stares at you. it don't matter if you say it 4 or 5 times she will just look at you until you go to get here and get her to do whatever it is you want her to do.

so here is my question.... what would you do? i would never get rid of her, i couldn't though the thought has certainly crossed the mind more than once. i have had a number of dogs and they all have their own little quirks that make them endearing in their own way and you will always remember them for such. i don't want her endearing quality to be that she was a pain in the ass but i fear that there is nothing that can be done at this point.

again, what would you do?

Edited by Foxx

Can’t help but I can relate. In my case it’s a dog and a cat. Dog is always the center of attention. In the evening, cat decides it’s her turn for a little attention.  Dog doesn’t put up with cat getting even a few minutes of attention. Have to get mean with dog so that cat can get a few minutes of attention in peace. 

4 hours ago, Foxx said:

okay heres the deal. after our last dog Benteley passed, we went looking for another. we decided to get two this time. we found a brother and sister, same dad different moms, from a breeder that we liked. so we get them home and the little girl is just the most affectionate, loving dog you could ever want. he was more into his own thing, a dude right?

anyways, here we are 4 years later and the dude has become the most affectionate, loving one all while still being into his own thing. very cool, great dog. the girl, she is way too smart for her own good. she is actually a real pain in the ass. pees on the floor, not that she can't help it, but she does it on purpose so she can get yelled at or just to get more attention. she is jealous as all get out. anytime the dude gets petted, she runs up and you have to pet her too. if he runs up after you, she will growl at him and go after his hind legs. she doesn't really bite down hard but this jealously thing is out of control. it's not like she is neglected in anyway, we always try to treat them both equally.

then there is the whole petting thing with her. you start to pet her and it just isn't good enough, she wants to be petted here... no no, pet me here.... no no pet me here... no no now i want to be petted here. it is getting almost impossible to pet her. did i mention that she is on a time delay? you call her to come in, or to do just about anything other than eat and she just sits there and stares at you. it don't matter if you say it 4 or 5 times she will just look at you until you go to get here and get her to do whatever it is you want her to do.

so here is my question.... what would you do? i would never get rid of her, i couldn't though the thought has certainly crossed the mind more than once. i have had a number of dogs and they all have their own little quirks that make them endearing in their own way and you will always remember them for such. i don't want her endearing quality to be that she was a pain in the ass but i fear that there is nothing that can be done at this point.

She's schooled in her ways now,what did the vet recommend?

Interested.

I have a male and female who act the exact same way.

I don't think there is anything we can do. That's just the dynamic between them. It seems like the female is intent on establishing herself one rank higher than the male in the pack hierarchy. 

As far as her not obeying your orders, that seems like something you can train with positive reinforcement. My female dog has been much harder to train, but she finally just learned to shake. Male dog had all of that down (sit, stay, shake, roll-over; etc.) within a year.

7 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

Interested.

I have a male and female who act the exact same way.

I don't think there is anything we can do. That's just the dynamic between them. It seems like the female is intent on establishing herself one rank higher than the male in the pack hierarchy. 

And given how the female ignores you, I would say she's contending for leader of the pack.  there are a lot of ways to quell this behavior.  i would start there, establishing yourself, and the other hoomans in the pack as higher ranking members of the pack. 

- Always go into a new room or outside first. Never let her go in first. 

- Feed her absolutely last. if she tries to get into the male' food, throw her out of the room.

- If she acts up, hold her down until she stops struggling.

- Have everyone in the family practice the same things.

I know it sounds stupid, but these are some little things that you can do to assert your's and other family member's dominance over her.  Lotsa links like this on the interwebs:

https://www.petful.com/behaviors/how-establish-leadership-over-dog/

17 hours ago, Foxx said:

That's pretty clever.   Hiding the identities of certain Two Bills Drive posters as dogs.