Our oline is in shambles...

I'm a bit perturbed that we haven't addressed our oline yet.  We lost 3 starters from last year and haven't done much to fill those holes. We don't have a starting center on our roster currently.  I hope we can find some diamonds in the rough in the remaining of this draft and/or find some talent in FA.

The offense is a project but this team has way too many holes to draft for need.  The offensive line was picked over by the time we selected.  We can pick up more guys in FA after the draft and players that don't make other teams.  You can't address every hole in one offseason.

• Like (+1) 1

Glenn only played three games last year and Dawkins was fine at LT, Groy is capable of filling in at center or guard we added Bodine and Newhouse and Miller could rebound.    The loss of wood and Incognito hurt and there are question marks, but shambles it a bit of an exaggeration. 

An interior lineman can easily be found in mid rounds.  There is also time to add a free agent between now and when the season starts.

Edit-I am more concerned about wide receiver, Kerley is a nice veteran but should not be the second best option on a team.

Edited by dgrochester55

I agree with your concerns, but think "shambles" is over the top.  Normally when you no answer for LT, your line is in shambles.  We have an answer there with Dawkins. 

4 minutes ago, Green Lightning said:

Well to be fair, Groy did fill in pretty well for Eric Wood when he was out.

Agreed, Groy did good/well at center.  Concerned in terms of center depth, but not starter.

Next we have Vlad and Mills, who aren't unknown quantities and serviceable.

We have 5 picks coming up today barring trades.  Let's see if they can find some help.

And finally, the nuclear option is to offer RI some more cash to come out of retirement if he is willing.

8 minutes ago, napmaster said:

I agree with your concerns, but think "shambles" is over the top.  Normally when you no answer for LT, your line is in shambles.  We have an answer there with Dawkins. 

Agreed, Groy did good/well at center.  Concerned in terms of center depth, but not starter.

Next we have Vlad and Mills, who aren't unknown quantities and serviceable.

We have 5 picks coming up today barring trades.  Let's see if they can find some help.

And finally, the nuclear option is to offer RI some more cash to come out of retirement if he is willing.

Yeah I'm hoping for some good news in the draft today. I don't know about RI, he seems to be off the rails right now.

6 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Trading up for the QB and D-QB was absolutely necessary. We got great players. 

Taking Phillips was because there was no O-line value there (maybe Crosby) and Phillips is a beast. We still have 5 picks. 

I agree but the opportunity cost was high.  We've lost out on some good players who could have filled important holes.

Really hoping Allen and Edmunds prove to be worth the price we paid.

1 minute ago, hondo in seattle said:

I agree but the opportunity cost was high.  We've lost out on some good players who could have filled important holes.

Really hoping Allen and Edmunds prove to be worth the price we paid.

Obviously their production is necessary for this to be a successful draft, but if they reach their potential (franchise QB, franchise Defensive leader) it won't matter what we gave up. 

We also got both of them without giving up next year capital which is huge!

I just don’t see any OL help worth spending a pick when there’s still RB/WR/Defense talent on the board.  

Is there a draft pick out there that people feel are better prospects than our young guys G John Miller and T Connor McDermott?  We then have two starters LT Dawkins and C/G Groy and then vets competing for spots in G Ducasse, G/C Bodine, T Newhouse, and T Mills. 

Id rather not take OL just to take one when there’s some Matt Milano’s out there at LB still. 

Edited by SCBills

I have no idea what is going on with RI, but I really hope he comes back.  Without him, I agree that the o-line is in shambles.  I don't think it will be so easy to find a starting guard in the middle rounds of the draft.  We certainly have not been able to over the last number of years.

We have a lot of needs on offense.  You can make an argument that we need a new starting caliber center, starting quality guards (2), starting caliber right tackle, quality number 2, 3 and 4 wide receivers, number 2 TE and another back-up running back.  No way that we adequately fill these needs with our remaining draft picks, underrated free agents or what is left on the free agent market.

Just now, jahnyc said:

I have no idea what is going on with RI, but I really hope he comes back.  Without him, I agree that the o-line is in shambles.  I don't think it will be so easy to find a starting guard in the middle rounds of the draft.  We certainly have not been able to over the last number of years.

We have a lot of needs on offense.  You can make an argument that we need a new starting caliber center, starting quality guards (2), starting caliber right tackle, quality number 2, 3 and 4 wide receivers, number 2 TE and another back-up running back.  No way that we adequately fill these needs with our remaining draft picks, underrated free agents or what is left on the free agent market.

Looks like a failed move to get back the money he gave up to help the team.  It appears the Bills have moved on so forget about him.  But yes, replacing a Pro Bowl LG won't be easy.