The fallacy of Allen being the bigger "risk" than Rosen

Magox

38 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

YEAH, WE ONLY WANT HE-MAN QB!  SIGN BROCK OSWEILER!

https://tinyurl.com/ybjg8t4s

Well Thank you Very Much Now I'm so confused! 

If it's instinctive and can't be taught - sounds innate

If it can be learned, given some level of "ability to learn it" - sounds like it should be able to be taught?

If something can be learned, why can't it be taught?

This is a very confusing subject and I would sum it up to game time experience is the only way to learn what you are doing right and wrong in the pocket 

its innate because you either have a good feel for the pocket or you don’t. At age 18 or 27

Someone who has a good feel will get much better with experience 

someone who is oblivious  in The pocket but plays a lot will get better and improve but will never become a master manipulator of the pocket

Brees has had it since he was young and he even needed to take some lumps and figure out how to manipulate an NFL pocket

Someone like Bortles has improved 10 fold but he will never have the same feel as Brees... he will always be a scrambler instead of manipulating the pocket 

16 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

YEAH, WE ONLY WANT HE-MAN QB!  SIGN BROCK OSWEILER!

https://tinyurl.com/ybjg8t4s

Well Thank you Very Much Now I'm so confused! 

If it's instinctive and can't be taught - sounds innate

If it can be learned, given some level of "ability to learn it" - sounds like it should be able to be taught?

If something can be learned, why can't it be taught?

It is leaned from experience.  I can't teach someone what it's like to be in a war zone but they can learn it.  Not the best example but hopefully it helps.  It's instinctive not skill.    

The risk had more to do with Raw Talent and more Molded Pro Style Offense experience. I don't like the term pro style offense because I feel allot of elements from college have been brought up to the NFL with some success. You could clearly see in college Rosen was better at seeing plays and reading defenses and setting protections which made him head and shoulders readier to play sooner. Allen who has an incredible arm showed some flashes of reading progressions , but seemed to let his arm talent make up for his other shortcomings (things that haven't been fully developed).

I was a big Rosen for QB proponent and was seriously disappointed during the draft. That being said I am full in on Allen now and really hope he can be a great QB for the future and lead us to the big dance and finally get that Lombardi monkey off our backs.

• Like (+1) 2

Not quite sure this fits here, but close enough...

FWIW, Ben McAdoo had Allen ranked as his top QB and Rosen as his 4th.  

Also, interesting comments on Darnold "“I think the kid the Jets drafted has a lot of magic in his game,’’ McAdoo said. “I think he’s special. He’s obviously a talented guy, he can make plays with his feet. I’d just have a hard time drafting a guy in the first round where you don’t necessarily like the way he throws."

https://nypost.com/2018/07/13/ben-mcadoo-doesnt-like-the-way-sam-darnold-throws-the-football/

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Heitz said:

Not quite sure this fits here, but close enough...

FWIW, Ben McAdoo had Allen ranked as his top QB and Rosen as his 4th.  

Also, interesting comments on Darnold "“I think the kid the Jets drafted has a lot of magic in his game,’’ McAdoo said. “I think he’s special. He’s obviously a talented guy, he can make plays with his feet. I’d just have a hard time drafting a guy in the first round where you don’t necessarily like the way he throws."

https://nypost.com/2018/07/13/ben-mcadoo-doesnt-like-the-way-sam-darnold-throws-the-football/

Ranked for what, his upcoming fantasy football roster?  He was fired before the end of last season.  Who was he ranking QBs for?

He was a laughing stock in NY.

On ‎4‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 6:07 AM, Magox said:

A) This was a down-the-field sort of throwing offense which is more susceptible to producing higher incompletion rates

B)  His offensive line was very weak and he was constantly under duress. 

C) His WR's were very poor and they weren't able to get a lot of separation.

A, B, and C, are all issues Allen is likely to face if he starts this year....  For the record I wasn't a fan of either QB.... I believe in swinging for the fences for sure, but only when you get your pitch...  We had a full count when Allen came in low and wide... I would have gotten on base with foundation players.   You play that way, and you set yourself up for a 2-run,  -3-run, or even grand slam...  By contrast, striking out here could mean the ball game. -At least until we get another at-bat. -Which could be years.

Edited by #34fan