What if no QB with first pick

mattstev

13 minutes ago, dlonce said:

It’s a failure of a plan because of the trade down with KC because McDermott was enamored with Andy Reid.

Houston wanted our pick offering the same first this year but we chose the team that’s been a historical playoff team instead of Houston. Pick 4 sure would look nice right now.

These rookie managers are going to learn,likely too late, that you don’t make deals because someone helped you out in coaching.

Very,very stupid trade in hindsight, not to mention who we actually could have drafted.

Houston made the playoffs in 2016 just like the Chiefs did. Their defense was excellent even without Watt. No reason to think they wouldn't be good again , in the mediocre AFCS. While the KC pick wasn't expected to be a high one, a pick from HOU wouldn't have been expected to be much different. Certainly not 4th overall. 

1 hour ago, Inigo Montoya said:

This fan base is just hungry for a great QB, myself included.  For years now when the Bills are down 10 points in the fourth quarter you just know that we are going to lose. Contrast that with watching the Pats and Brady when they are down 10,  you know they are going to pull it out somehow.  It's frustrating.

I just hope that the Bills front office doesn't draft a QB in the first round just to draft a QB.  If they can trade up and get their man that's fantastic, and I'll be happy no matter who it is.  If their guy(s) are gone though, I really hope they spend those draft picks on great players that will stock their young roster with talent and hopefully they can make a successful run at a QB next year.  We have given up a lot to amass this draft capital, I don't want to see them use it frivolously.  

No one is really talking much about this, and I think it would be a minority opinion around here, but I couldn't agree with you more.

If we can't one of the big names this year, go in a different direction and re-group for another year.

We don't need another EJ Manuel draft where we take a lame QB for the sake of taking a lame QB.

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/23/2018 at 8:20 PM, noacls said:

For the people who know everything on here can you tell me who killed Kennedy, Tupac, and Biggie. 

The CIA, Orlando Anderson or Lil Half Dead, and Amir Mohammad. (Contract hit by Reggie Wright Jr. on behalf of Death Row.) Who the Bills will select on Thursday is MUCH harder to figure out. 

Edited by Vod Kanockers
  • Like (+1) 1

On 4/23/2018 at 5:53 PM, mattstev said:

What if everything goes against us and we miss the top 4 qbs or don't want to trade up for the one that's left. If we were not going to take a qb with our first pick this draft, what should we do?

Is there anyone else you would trade up for if they were sliding to 8-10, or who would you want to see drafted at 12.

I personally would love if Nelson were slipping to move up a couple picks and grab him. I don't think that's likely but there is a decent chance either he or one of the elite lb's (Edmunds, Smith) will fall a bit.

First of all, there is only a top 3. Not a top 4 (sorry Bandit). And only two QBs actually deserve to be picked anywhere near the top 10 and I am being incredibly generous.

Let's say 4 QBs go before 8. This means the 4th best positional player is available at 8,9,10 and you simply have a mass of drafting capital. There are worse things in the world, believe me. Like using 3 draft picks to maneuver to take Josh Allen.

Among your possibilities: it's possible that the best interior lineman in 25 years is waiting. You could have a shot at Derwin James, who isn't just "some cornerback". Do you have any use for a guy that is nearly 6-6", weighing 255, that runs nearly a sub 4-five with wingspan like Antonio Gates playing LBer (by the way, he hasn't finished growing yet!).

I'm betting that between those three guys alone you have a better shot at altering the future angle of your organization than you do even picking my favorite player, Baker Mayfield or Josh Rosen. And oh yeah. It's not like there are NO quarterbacks left. Chances are pretty good the most explosive, game changing athlete in the draft at QB will be waiting at 22. 

Edited by Tyrod's friend

4 hours ago, Rocky Landing said:

If we can't negotiate a trade into top 5, and lose out on the top tier, I don't care if we don't get the best value at 12, as long as it's a QB. That's assessment is probably about 77% emotional. Maybe more.

No, you have to have the guts NOT to reach for a QB, just to get a QB. We have gotten into trouble in the past by doing this.  The 6,7,8 guys all have about the same chance on being a good player when they get to the pros. If it comes to that, Plan C is to draft them where they warrent.

On 4/23/2018 at 6:23 PM, MAJBobby said:

And when the colts Move again??? 

So again a trade happened. A package could have been made even at 2 as Gettlmen is saying essentially it is for sale. 

OBD put this plan in motion they either finish it or it is a failure what is so hard to see about that 

Well, my favorite bamboo trout fishing rod is for sale as well.  Do you have $750,000?   The Giants are not going to turn down 6 first round and 6 second round picks.

On 4/23/2018 at 8:22 PM, Bleedingreennc said:

Didn't they say Allen had sub par receivers as well? How about that great wonderlic score?

Heh?   Look at the schedule they played.  He was playing against subpar defensive backs.    How many DB from Gardner-Webb have made the NFL?

The Bills have the QB prospects ranked and have allotted the price they are willing to pay for each of them.  There is a possibility that the 4th QB left at 5 is not worth the price The Bills are willing to pay.  There are those on this board that say just wait and take Jackson, or Rudolph at 12, but there is also the possibility that a team like Arizona/ Miami would be willing to jump to 6 or 7 or 8 and take the 5th ranked QB.  

I believe there are 2 QBs the Bills are interested in that they are willing to overpay for to position themselves to get one of them.  If it doesn't happen, regroup, stay true to your board and maybe move up to take the best LB available.  Unless they get "their guy" I don't think they will overspend to get another developmental guy.  They have 2 already.

I just have this weird feeling that somehow, Bills end up with a CB/ safety at 12.

Edited by richardb1952

9 minutes ago, richardb1952 said:

The Bills have the QB prospects ranked and have allotted the price they are willing to pay for each of them.  There is a possibility that the 4th QB left at 5 is not worth the price The Bills are willing to pay.  There are those on this board that say just wait and take Jackson, or Rudolph at 12, but there is also the possibility that a team like Arizona/ Miami would be willing to jump to 6 or 7 or 8 and take the 5th ranked QB.  

I believe there are 2 QBs the Bills are interested in that they are willing to overpay for to position themselves to get one of them.  If it doesn't happen, regroup, stay true to your board and maybe move up to take the best LB available.  Unless they get "their guy" I don't think they will overspend to get another developmental guy.  They have 2 already.

I just have this weird feeling that somehow, Bills end up with a CB/ safety at 12.

Get a grip.

If they stay at 12, they will pick a QB, and get a linebacker or whatever at 22. This is no time to !@#$ around. McCarron and Peterman (geezus!)  are 5th round picks, while the top guys in this draft are all way more highly regarded, different level prospects. They are not the same type of "developmental" guys. Even the "2nd tier" guys like Lamar Jackson are WAY more highly regarded prospects than McPetarron.

1 hour ago, OJABBA said:

Get a grip.

If they stay at 12, they will pick a QB, and get a linebacker or whatever at 22. This is no time to !@#$ around. McCarron and Peterman (geezus!)  are 5th round picks, while the top guys in this draft are all way more highly regarded, different level prospects. They are not the same type of "developmental" guys. Even the "2nd tier" guys like Lamar Jackson are WAY more highly regarded prospects than McPetarron.

My point was that if the top 4 guys are gone, and Bills don't decide to move up for Jackson or Reynolds because they have determined these two to be worth moving up for,  there is the possibility that even these could be gone if Arizona/ Miami do move up and take them.  If the Bills choose not to overpay, for the "top 6", I doubt they will take any of the remaining QBs at 12.  I would hope the Bills would not take a QB at 12 just to have taken one if they don't feel he is going to be the one.  Do everything you can to get the guy you want but if it doesn't work out, regroup and go to plan B, which might be to take Smith at LB.  

5 hours ago, richardb1952 said:

My point was that if the top 4 guys are gone, and Bills don't decide to move up for Jackson or Reynolds because they have determined these two to be worth moving up for,  there is the possibility that even these could be gone if Arizona/ Miami do move up and take them.  If the Bills choose not to overpay, for the "top 6", I doubt they will take any of the remaining QBs at 12.  I would hope the Bills would not take a QB at 12 just to have taken one if they don't feel he is going to be the one.  Do everything you can to get the guy you want but if it doesn't work out, regroup and go to plan B, which might be to take Smith at LB.  

Basically, my point is if 11 QB's are taken in front of them, the Bills will take the 12th.

Anyone they would select at 22, they would select at 12.

They aren't going to play that game, it would be dumber than dumb to pass on a guy, thinking they could get him 10 picks later.

Edited by OJABBA