Alabama LB Rashaan Evans Will Have a Pre-Draft Visit with the Bills

3 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

As a Bama fan who loves defense, any other year I'd be pumped to get a guy like Evans.

Unfortunately, this year, if we end up drafting Evans it will most likely mean we missed on a top QB prospect.

3 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

As a Bama fan who loves defense, any other year I'd be pumped to get a guy like Evans.

Unfortunately, this year, if we end up drafting Evans it will most likely mean we missed on a top QB prospect.

I think there are some mocks that have him going to the Bills at 22, but that seems like a stretch.

17 hours ago, {::'KayCeeS::} said:

Incognito retiring really f'ed us.  I was all for trading up for a QB until then.  But it was kind of the straw that broke the Camel's back, imo.  Think about it:

Linebackers?  Milano has potential, sure.  We resigned Humber, but he's just okay.  Alexander is not a linebacker, really, let's be honest.  We have no MLB.  Anyone else on the roster I know so little about that it's pointless to speculate.

But we could draft 6 players in the first three rounds without trading up, including LB's and OL's, which are our two really dire needs.

Rock and a Hard Place.  I don't envy McBeane this draft, but, at the same time, they have a lot of options, so we shall see.

If this regime let's the loss of an aging guard on a one year deal affect their long term plan to find a QB, I will be pissed.

• Like (+1) 2

18 hours ago, {::'KayCeeS::} said:

Incognito retiring really f'ed us.  I was all for trading up for a QB until then.  But it was kind of the straw that broke the Camel's back, imo.  Think about it:

Linebackers?  Milano has potential, sure.  We resigned Humber, but he's just okay.  Alexander is not a linebacker, really, let's be honest.  We have no MLB.  Anyone else on the roster I know so little about that it's pointless to speculate.

But we could draft 6 players in the first three rounds without trading up, including LB's and OL's, which are our two really dire needs.

Rock and a Hard Place.  I don't envy McBeane this draft, but, at the same time, they have a lot of options, so we shall see.

Their draft plans should not have been altered at all by the retirement of a 34 year old G in the last year of his contract with the Bills asking him to accept a pay cut.   That tells you they were perfectly willing to move on from him had he not taken the cut in the 1st place.  Plans unchanged. 

• Like (+1) 3

I'd prefer the team keep a quota when it comes to Bama players.  They're very cliquish.  Kind of like how the Sabres avoid Russians.    

Based on Beane's moves thus far, he seems to agree with me.  Two out the door, with only one brought back in.  It'll force McCarron to mingle.   

Kounanjio landed with Denver. He was 20 yrs old when he was drafted and had injury problems with the Bills. He got off to a slow start, but seemed to have picked up his game.

https://predominantlyorange.com/2017/12/23/cyrus-kouandjio-future-investment-denver-broncos/

Dareus played with the Bills for 6 seasons and clearly had maturity issues.

9 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

Kounanjio landed with Denver. He was 20 yrs old when he was drafted and had injury problems with the Bills. He got off to a slow start, but seemed to have picked up his game.

https://predominantlyorange.com/2017/12/23/cyrus-kouandjio-future-investment-denver-broncos/

Dareus played with the Bills for 6 seasons and clearly had maturity issues.

How many National Championships does Bama need to win in order for you to stop being so sensitive and easily triggered by any criticism?

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Their draft plans should not have been altered at all by the retirement of a 34 year old G in the last year of his contract with the Bills asking him to accept a pay cut.   That tells you they were perfectly willing to move on from him had he not taken the cut in the 1st place.  Plans unchanged. 

Well, my point was more of a personal opinion on what the overall situation is now, as opposed to before his retirement.  Now if you asked me, do I think the Bills' draft board/plan has changed because of Incognito retiring?  That's a different and a good question, and you're probably right: they're going to stick to the plan.  Which makes sense, as you say.  Me, personally, however, it gives me pause.  I would still love a QB but if they don't/can't trade up for whatever reason, I'm not going to throw things against the wall like I would have before.  Perhaps that's being short-sighted, but it's just what strikes me now.

Edited by {::'KayCeeS::}

On 4/16/2018 at 6:48 PM, DrDawkinstein said:

I dont think it's the right move to abandon your year long plan to get a franchise QB as a knee jerk reaction to losing a Guard. The time is now. Git'r'dun.

How do you know that drafting a first round QB was the Bills' "plan" since last year?  Acquiring draft capital is NEVER a bad idea, especially with a new regime that has clear ideas about how to build a winning roster, and many players who didn't fit their requirements.  Your claim is nothing but fantasy in your first-round QB obsessed brain.

FTR, It couldn't have been a "plan" because Beane wasn't even hired then, and McDermott was too busy with his new responsibilities as HC and the 2017 draft to worry about the 2018 draft.  Only QB obsessed fans would believe that teams determine that they're going to draft a first QB in a draft more than a year away when they don't even know who will be available.  The Bills traded back because they didn't like any of the players left on the board at #10 in 2017 enough to take them there, including Mahomes and Watson.   The Bills traded Watkins because they didn't think they could sign him and wanted to get something for him, and they traded Dareus because he and McDermott didn't seem to work well together as well as the fact that Dareus hadn't been playing well.

Furthermore, any draft is unpredictable, and drafts never go the way all these supposed "draft experts" in the media claim it will unless there's an Andrew Luck available.  Drafts don't always even go the way teams expect them to, either.  Teams trade up and/or reach in every draft.  Every competent FO needs to have a contingency plan that includes "what if A is gone?" and "what if B (who was expected to be gone in the top 5) is available at 12?"   Should the Bills pass on Barkley if he fell to #12 for Mason Rudolph just because they need a QB?  That, sir, is a Tom Donahoe or Marv Levy/Dick Jauron type move.

Edited by SoTier
  • Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, maryland-bills-fan said:

Is it true that when the UoA players get their football cleats, it is the first pair of shoes they've worn in their lives?

True, and they use them to walk all over their opponents.

Image result for alabama national championships

Edited by Sky Diver
  • Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, SoTier said:

Blahblahblahblahblah

Nah, dude, it's been the plan since last year. Pegula was ready to move on from Tyrod in 2016, it's why Rex was fired. They've been looking for a QB for a while, and by passing over good prospects last year, anyone with half a brain could see what was coming. Dont have to be QB-obsessed.

2 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Nah, dude, it's been the plan since last year. Pegula was ready to move on from Tyrod in 2016, it's why Rex was fired. They've been looking for a QB for a while, and by passing over good prospects last year, anyone with half a brain could see what was coming. Dont have to be QB-obsessed.

That's not the case. Rex was fired because he didn't work hard as Bills' HC and his defense failed the team.  Tyrod was with the Bills last season because the new HC wanted him as the QB. 

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, SoTier said:

How do you know that drafting a first round QB was the Bills' "plan" since last year?  Acquiring draft capital is NEVER a bad idea, especially with a new regime that has clear ideas about how to build a winning roster, and many players who didn't fit their requirements.  Your claim is nothing but fantasy in your first-round QB obsessed brain.

FTR, It couldn't have been a "plan" because Beane wasn't even hired then, and McDermott was too busy with his new responsibilities as HC and the 2017 draft to worry about the 2018 draft.  Only QB obsessed fans would believe that teams determine that they're going to draft a first QB in a draft more than a year away when they don't even know who will be available.  The Bills traded back because they didn't like any of the players left on the board at #10 in 2017 enough to take them there, including Mahomes and Watson.   The Bills traded Watkins because they didn't think they could sign him and wanted to get something for him, and they traded Dareus because he and McDermott didn't seem to work well together as well as the fact that Dareus hadn't been playing well.

Furthermore, any draft is unpredictable, and drafts never go the way all these supposed "draft experts" in the media claim it will unless there's an Andrew Luck available.  Drafts don't always even go the way teams expect them to, either.  Teams trade up and/or reach in every draft.  Every competent FO needs to have a contingency plan that includes "what if A is gone?" and "what if B (who was expected to be gone in the top 5) is available at 12?"   Should the Bills pass on Barkley if he fell to #12 for Mason Rudolph just because they need a QB?  That, sir, is a Tom Donahoe or Marv Levy/Dick Jauron type move.

Yep, acquiring the draft capital had more to do with determining that some players on the roster at the time had no fit in terms of future plans so get something for that player while you can versus an organized attempt to move up for a specific player.

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

That's not the case. Rex was fired because he didn't work hard as Bills' HC and his defense failed the team.  Tyrod was with the Bills last season because the new HC wanted him as the QB. 

We're both right. All of that went into Rex's firing. But Rex has said he had the phone call with Pegula and TP wanted to move on. That was as far back as 2016. The HC wanted him last year because there wasnt any better alternatives on short notice in FA, and he wasnt going to use Whaley to draft a QB.

edit: All that said, I dont want to derail thread into another QB discussion.

Anyone have a 40 time on Evans?

Edited by DrDawkinstein