USC EDGE Uchenna Nwosu visiting Bills

15 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

This dude needs a new name with more vowels in the right places.

I really hope we draft him so we can see how many different ways his name is spelled in posts here.

And then, as NO PLACE TO HYDE suggests, we are going to have to have a naming competition for this guy with votes.

We'll go with the best anyone can come up with.

LOL!!:D:P

1 minute ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I agree, I’m concerned with their ability to get to the passer. The secondary is good to great but could be even better with pressure.

I think DT is a bigger need at this point.  Between Hughes, Murhpy, LorAx, Yarbrough, and the group of darts they brought in like Odighizuwa and Fede, I feel like they can put together a decent EDGE rush.

Kyle is a year older and losing his ability to impact the run game, Star is fine as a run-stopper but so-so as an interior rusher, and after that you've got Adolphus and something named Ricky Hatley.  Not good.

6 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

I think DT is a bigger need at this point.  Between Hughes, Murhpy, LorAx, Yarbrough, and the group of darts they brought in like Odighizuwa and Fede, I feel like they can put together a decent EDGE rush.

Kyle is a year older and losing his ability to impact the run game, Star is fine as a run-stopper but so-so as an interior rusher, and after that you've got Adolphus and something named Ricky Hatley.  Not good.

The DT position is thin but at the same time I think that they can be okay if healthy. Shaq May kick inside on passing downs. The pass rush was brutal last year with those guys (minus Murphy). Hughes and Lorax are potentially in their last year(s) with the Bills as it is. Neither is in great shape imo but I think pass rush is more important. I wouldn’t be mad about improving either though.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

9 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

The DT position is thin but at the same time I think that they can be okay if healthy. Shaq May kick inside on passing downs. The pass rush was brutal last year with those guys (minus Murphy). Hughes and Lorax are potentially in their last year(s) with the Bills as it is. Neither is in great shape imo but I think pass rush is more important. I wouldn’t be mad about improving either though.

Yeah...truth is that they need both.  I may end up wrong, but I've almost completely written off Shaq.

Just now, ChanticleerBillsFan said:

Agreed and a lot of 1st /2nd Corners which scares me. Do they not think LB/QB/OL/DT/WR are bigger needs?

They're actually returning 3 LBs that started a fair number of games for them in 2017--Milano, Humber, and LorAx.  They also have Vallejo, Stanford, and Lacy backing them up.

Now, those aren't exactly household names, and I definitely would like an upgrade, but with improvements in the front 7, it's conceivable to think that they could get by with that group in an ever-increasingly-pass-happy league.

As for CB, they're returning Tre White.  Aside from him, you're looking at a guy that's been largely hurt the last two years in Davis, a guy that fell to 5th on his previous team's depth charge in Phillip Gaines, and Lafayette Pitts...also, both Davis and Gaines are UFAs after 2018.

18 minutes ago, ChanticleerBillsFan said:

Agreed and a lot of 1st /2nd Corners which scares me. Do they not think LB/QB/OL/DT/WR are bigger needs?

They are going corner in the first two rounds for sure. It is a need though, we only have two capable corners on the roster. They are bringing in a lot of LBs as well, so they will probably take one high. 

It it seems like they are content on surviving the season with Star and Kyle. Which makes sense because they have a lot of needs. I also think they are hoping a serviceable WR is released from another team following the draft.

2 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I can't say I disagree with your point.  

If it's strictly depth....wouldn't you say we could get a solid DT in the 3rd/4th rounds?  Maybe an edge rusher earlier like in round 2?

Depth for a year and then starter when Kyle retires.  Is Washington viewed as the heir apparent to Kyle?  Doubtful.  It just seems to me that we have Hughes and Murphy, who are good pass rushers.  Our pass rush sucked last year but Jerry was toward the top of the league in pressures and he was the only viable threat.  Murphy will help that and we’ve added lots of DE depth.  While it would be nice to add another pass rusher I just think it’s nearly as critical with our current roster.

2 hours ago, NewDayBills said:

It would be nice if we could draft BPA at every position of need and just check off all the boxes but it doesn't work that way. I'd rather take a difference maker at a strong area than to draft an average prospect at a position of need. Go with BPA every time. Wait for the June 1st cuts to fill in the weak spots.

I agree that you take the best players available but who’s to say that the guy we draft over Nwoso won’t be a difference maker.  Nwoso isn’t just automatically deemed BPA because the thread is about him.  You can’t just disqualify a DT because they aren’t an edge pass rusher.  Is harrison Phillips not good enough for ya?  I’d take him over nwoso any day.  

3 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

I have Nwosu graded as an off-ball 'backer moreso than an EDGE guy.

He'd be a nice fit for this defense

Can you elaborate a little?  Off the ball as in any coverage ability?  Can he cover under against a TE in shallow coverage at all?  Can he get his body on a TE for chips and be effective?

1 hour ago, Boyst62 said:

Can you elaborate a little?  Off the ball as in any coverage ability?  Can he cover under against a TE in shallow coverage at all?  Can he get his body on a TE for chips and be effective?

I'd say yes on both accounts.

not going to be elite in either phase, but plenty capable in both

I think he's going to struggle a bit against the run. He gets caught in the trash when moving laterally and scraping to the boundary from off-ball alignment 

58 minutes ago, NewEra said:

So he’s strictly a DE in our scheme right?  No chance at dropping weight and playing the Sam and pass rushing on 3rd?

I think thats his position to be honest.    Kinda poor mans Barr or Reddick.  I think he would be a SAM.  More an athlete than natural pass rusher.  Highschool saftey so he has range.

5 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

With Kyle coming back, Star signed....would you say a bigger need is edge rusher over DT?  IMO...yes.  Get to the QB....

Maybe because we will be trading Hughes/Lawson?

2 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

I'd say yes on both accounts.

not going to be elite in either phase, but plenty capable in both

I think he's going to struggle a bit against the run. He gets caught in the trash when moving laterally and scraping to the boundary from off-ball alignment 

3-4 Jack in an average defense capable? (Wade Phillips). 

Or 43 de with wide 9 (Schwartz?)

Btw. Amazing how Philips 20 yrs ago made defenses (forget if he was under marchebroda (sp?) To stop a NFL run centric league and now is great against the pass. I need to study him more. He is HOF worthy.