Paul Ryan Retiring

TH3

11 minutes ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

What is coming down the pipe cuts across both major parties.  Paul Ryan is a swamp creature.  He's leaving because he's dirty.

What's Paul Ryan guilty of, other than a generally creepy fetishist obsession with tax cuts?

13 minutes ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

Corruption.  The same as most DC power players.

Too easy.  I hate politicians too, but that's a pretty broad brush.  I wasn't aware that Paul Ryan was the subject of any investigation or suspected of foul play.  Have I missed something?

I'm no fan of Ryan--I don't like his square-headed approach to policy--but my first thought when I saw this new story of him retiring was that it was due to frustration, that he feels handcuffed, unable to get his job done and tired of being put in a position to have to be an apologist for the erratic behavior of the president and all the chaos going on around him.

Edited by Cugalabanza

3 minutes ago, Cugalabanza said:

Too easy.  I hate politicians too, but that's a pretty broad brush.  I wasn't aware that Paul Ryan was the subject of any investigation or suspected of foul play.  Have I missed something?

I'm no fan of Ryan--I don't like his square-headed approach to policy--but my first thought when I saw this new story of him retiring was that it was due to frustration, that he feels handcuffed, unable to get his job done and tired of being put in a position to have to be an apologist for the erratic behavior of the president and all the chaos going on around him.

The stuff Greg has been documenting for over a year now is very wide spread across both major parties, and in the private sector.  You're witnessing an unprecedented level of resignations, retirements, and decisions not to run for re-election.  It's all tied to corruption, and it's being exposed.  Democrats will bear the brunt, as they were the ones caught with their hand in the cookie jar, so to speak, but it's all one big club.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

Corruption.  The same as most DC power players.

That's like saying Trump is guilty of "collusion."

18 minutes ago, Cugalabanza said:

Rumor here is that he's tired of trying to work with Trump.

Personally, I want to suggest it has something to do with Hillary...just because if I don't blame Hillary, garybusey's head will explode.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

The stuff Greg has been documenting for over a year now is very wide spread across both major parties, and in the private sector.  You're witnessing an unprecedented level of resignations, retirements, and decisions not to run for re-election.  It's all tied to corruption, and it's being exposed.  Democrats will bear the brunt, as they were the ones caught with their hand in the cookie jar, so to speak, but it's all one big club.

Can you please provide the data between this re-election cycles and past ones that prove that the unprecedented level of these resignations etc?

1 minute ago, DC Tom said:

That's like saying Trump is guilty of "collusion."

Not at all.  Ryan is dirty.  He's caught up in several arms of the Clinton Foundation scandal currently being investigated.

When I say "not at all" I don't mean to imply that the evidence is available for public consumption, and in that way it's exactly like the "collusion" bit.  However, unlike the collusion canard, with Ryan there is a "there" there.

Also, please understand that I'm not asking you to believe me, as I've presented no evidence.  I'm simply offering my opinion which I have based on other circumstantial happenings.

24 minutes ago, Cugalabanza said:

That was my initial reaction as well. The truth is, it becomes disheartening to have articulate people like Ryan appear on the scene, sounding insightful and poised, only to watch them get smeared beyond necessity, for the sake of shutting them up and down. The same happened with Cruz and Rubio; articulate and smart, but smeared to embarrassment.

Think Rubio and the bottle of water bit when he offered the GOP SOTU after Obama years ago. Just embarrassing the way people trashed him for that.

People like Rubio and Cruz offer much more than tools like MConnell, Graham and McCain, but  the old school stands guard over their keep, and help push these guys to the bottom rung.

9 minutes ago, garybusey said:

Can you please provide the data between this re-election cycles and past ones that prove that the unprecedented level of these resignations etc?

Here's an updated list of noteworthy CEO resignations:  https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1B-95giwldeKgsd0nYiw_sEaSf4kGNLZgEIvEhL2mVAw/edit#gid=0

I'll see what I can do about the Senatorial and Congressional stuff at some point today.

20 minutes ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

Here's an updated list of noteworthy CEO resignations:  https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1B-95giwldeKgsd0nYiw_sEaSf4kGNLZgEIvEhL2mVAw/edit#gid=0

I'll see what I can do about the Senatorial and Congressional stuff at some point today.

I’m not seeing how most of those are noteworthy. The reason is left blank for most of them, and most of the reasons listed are due to a sex scandal or other scandal. Also some on the list have retired or been promoted to chairman. The list seems pretty normal to me aside from all the sex scandal stuff we went through in the last year.

38 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

Rumor here is that he's tired of trying to work with Trump.

Makes sense, if it is true that he never really wanted to be Speaker to begin with.

Of course, no one knows for sure if he did not want the job, or was pulling some George Washington 'I am not equal to the task' fake humility bullschiff.

• Like (+1) 1