Ravens Sign RGIII to a 1-Year Deal

10 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Its amazing the revisionist history.....

RG III looked outstanding that first year....right up until he got hurt.

You can say he didnt have the intestional fortitude to overcome that.....but that is what happened

Looked good, ‘outstanding’ is a bit much. Very comparable to Tyrod in 2015. 

It takes a bit of time to get film on some of these guys. Once one team find their deficits, so does the rest of the league. 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood

12 minutes ago, SoTier said:

Actually, the Raven's Browns roots are the winning branch of the Cleveland Browns family.  They are the descendents of the original Cleveland Browns of the All American Conference, Jim Brown, NFL Champion Browns.

The current Cleveland Browns are the adopted children who have the name but not the DNA.

They are also the Browns that were terribly bad for a long stretch of time.  They fell victim to The Drive and The Fumble, much like the Ravens fell victim to The Play last year courtesy of Dalton. 

While the Browns did have success long ago, the Ravens have had more current success. And after falling apart Browns style last year and signing an ex Browns QB...

Honestly though - his career was ruined by injuries, and the whole kirk cousins situation.  They decided they wanted to go Cousins - whatever that's fine.  But they picked up the 5th year option so he had to sit out his 4th year as no one wanted him with an injury/release guaranteed extra year, and they wouldn't let him play.  Not only that - but you're guaranteed to NOT get that 5th year money as they'll just release you with no $$. 

I mean, you want to try and learn - be a good teammate so you can catch on somewhere else the next year.  But it was a disaster of a situation for him, and you can only pretend you're happy when in reality you're benched, and they aren't even considering you as an option.  

He essentially had to ride the pine for money he was basically already owed.  He didn't get a chance to catch on somewhere else, and his 5th year situation was held hostage.  I'd have been pissed off too.  

8 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Looked good, ‘outstanding’ is a bit much. Very comparable to Tyrod in 2015. 

It takes a bit of time to get film on some of these guys. Once one team find their deficits, so does the rest of the league. 

He had some absolutely insane game lines.  

14/15 for 200 and 4 TDs with 84 on the ground

19-27 for 304 4 TDs on MNF

17-22 for 182 1 TD and 138(!) on the ground with 2 more TDs

Also he was Offensive rookie of the year, All-rookie team, pro bowler, 3rd highest QB rating, top 5 in YPA, APYA, comp%, Int%, and had 3 Comebacks

For 1 year - he was pretty outstanding....

Edited by dneveu
  • Like (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

OK so your saying you do not remember playing him hurt? 

Yes.  I watched the game where he injured his knee.   Saying that Shanahan ruined RG III though is disingenuous.  Only RG III himself is responsible for his being an afterthought in the NFL. 

Maybe he will catch on again if someone puts him back in an  offense built around a runner who passes. But in a league where pocket passing is best way to succeed,  seems doubtful. 

5 minutes ago, prissythecat said:

Yes.  I watched the game where he injured his knee.   Saying that Shanahan ruined RG III though is disingenuous.  Only RG III himself is responsible for his being an afterthought in the NFL. 

Maybe he will catch on again if someone puts him back in an  offense built around a runner who passes. But in a league where pocket passing is best way to succeed,  seems doubtful. 

Read this... https://www.sbnation.com/2015/9/1/9232961/robert-griffin-iii-washington-jay-gruden-dan-snyder-mike-shanahan-injury-concussion

and tell me that the Redskins shouldn't shoulder some of the blame.  

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, dneveu said:

Honestly though - his career was ruined by injuries, and the whole kirk cousins situation.  They decided they wanted to go Cousins - whatever that's fine.  But they picked up the 5th year option so he had to sit out his 4th year as no one wanted him with an injury/release guaranteed extra year, and they wouldn't let him play.  Not only that - but you're guaranteed to NOT get that 5th year money as they'll just release you with no $$. 

I mean, you want to try and learn - be a good teammate so you can catch on somewhere else the next year.  But it was a disaster of a situation for him, and you can only pretend you're happy when in reality you're benched, and they aren't even considering you as an option.  

He essentially had to ride the pine for money he was basically already owed.  He didn't get a chance to catch on somewhere else, and his 5th year situation was held hostage.  I'd have been pissed off too.  

He had some absolutely insane game lines.  

14/15 for 200 and 4 TDs with 84 on the ground

19-27 for 304 4 TDs on MNF

17-22 for 182 1 TD and 138(!) on the ground with 2 more TDs

Also he was Offensive rookie of the year, All-rookie team, pro bowler, 3rd highest QB rating, top 5 in YPA, APYA, comp%, Int%, and had 3 Comebacks

For 1 year - he was pretty outstanding....

Again, very similar to Tyrod in 2015. Jus saying. 

38 minutes ago, Gugny said:

No one can deny that he had a fantastic rookie campaign.  But the fact is that he was never good again after that season.  Whether he was hurt, or healthy, he was still horrible.

Are we still talking about RGIII, or did the conversation shift to Vince Young when I wasn't looking.

7 hours ago, dneveu said:

Read this... https://www.sbnation.com/2015/9/1/9232961/robert-griffin-iii-washington-jay-gruden-dan-snyder-mike-shanahan-injury-concussion

and tell me that the Redskins shouldn't shoulder some of the blame.  

I was just about to post this link, but you beat me to it. RGIII wasn't completely blameless, but in no way deserved the hellish dysfunctional mess that was the Redskins. When your own coach uses you as a sacrificial pawn to get fired (and collect all the money left on his contract), you know you're in a crap situation. When Dan Snyder decides to adopt you as his best buddy, good luck. One of interesting things about the link is you get to see Cousins come in for Griffin and soon after get benched for Colt McCoy.

No matter how good Cousins played afterwards the team (and many fans) could never entirely forget back when they decided he didn't measure-up. That lingering perception fueled years of bungling until they eventually drove Cousins off.

Edited by grb

10 hours ago, NewEraBills said:

Roman run game + RG III.  Griffin is young enough to turn his career around.  The Ravens have re-established the running game.  Maybe nothing comes of it.  Maybe something does.  Decent flyer for them.

Agreed.  But, glad we aren’t the Ravens though.

18 hours ago, Limeaid said:

$nyder is the most gungy owner in NFL.  He was part of problem of RGIII.

When he was benched for cousins, he needed to be released.  They barely let him practice because of the injury money.  Goes a long way to ruining someones development when they're basically banished from practice/film study and unable to be released until he can pass a physical a season later.  

21 hours ago, Rob's House said:

Sounds like a good move for the Ravens. Some poor sucker's going to spend a valuable draft pick on Lamar Jackson and the Ravens just picked him up for next to nothing.

I guess?  Jackson is a far more dynamic running threat than griffin.  In his last 2 years of college griffin had about 1200 yards rushing and 18 TDs.  Jackson had about 3000 yards rushing and 39 TDs in his last 2 years.  Jackson needs called runs to be really dangerous though.  You don't run for 3000 yards on scrambles.