PFT Live: Chris Simms Lists His Top 5 QB Prospects and Their "Fatal Flaws"

Exploring the fatal flaws of the top five quarterbacks

Tuesday’s PFT Live included an effort by co-host Chris Simms to identify the fatal flaws for each of the top prospects.

So here’s the assessment from Simms of the biggest areas of concern regarding Josh Allen, Josh RosenBaker MayfieldLamar Jackson, and Sam Darnold — which is the precise order in which Simms has ranked the top five quarterbacks.

Am I the only one who noticed that they video they showed of Allen's highlights while Simms was defending his accuracy, included an air mailed swing pass that his RB had to jump for, a missed crossing route to a WR and a ball thrown too close to the sideline that his receiver wasn't able to get 2 feet in bounds for? 

All of those throws were from his "amazing" pro day with no defenders on the field. 

11 hours ago, Blokestradamus said:

If they all have fatal flaws, why draft any of them?

That Simms gene pool needs a little chlorine.

:lol: 

Plus whenever I hear "spleen" I think, in this order:

1. Shah of Iran. http://www.journalacs.org/article/S1072-7515(10)01157-9/abstract

2. Chris Simms. http://www.complex.com/sports/2013/06/the-25-gutsiest-performances-in-sports-history/chris-simms-loses-his-spleen

His comment regarding Mayfield: “size is a skill”.  Huh?  No dummy, size is a physical attribute.  Skills can be developed.  He likely is not going to grow anymore.  He can’t do anything about it except maybe wear lifts in his shoes as somebody here had mentioned.

Although I didn’t agree with some of what Simms said, it still tempers the enthusiasm of this draft class of QBs.

I agree that the best pick of them may be Allen due to his size and arm strength.  During an interview with Mayock at his pro day, Allen said he had been working with Jordan Palmer on his footwork and establishing his base and had already felt improvement. This is good as opposed to a prior big strong armed QB in Jamarcus Russell who in the first practice after he signed his contract told his teammates he could now retire.

6 hours ago, #34fan said:

Chris Simms... Jordan Palmer... Ryan leaf.... All over the networks with their damn opinions... Why would anyone give ear to suck-butt QB wash-outs?

Say what you want, even to just get a cup of coffee in the NFL takes a great deal of skill

6 hours ago, #34fan said:

Chris Simms... Jordan Palmer... Ryan leaf.... All over the networks with their damn opinions... Why would anyone give ear to suck-butt QB wash-outs?

Much better to listen to guys who think Riley Ferguson is the answer. 

21 hours ago, whatdrought said:

I am not a believer that those who fail at something cannot give good analysis of that thing, but man, I cannot stand this guy. 

I saw a recent Dan Patrick segment where he didn't answer immediately and acted as if it was a tough question when asked if Blake Bortles was better than him... I then knew everything that came out of his mouth was to be disregarded.

21 hours ago, Blokestradamus said:

I'm curious as to whether Ben Roethlisberger was considered an accurate passer coming out of college? And is Roethlisberger in an offense where there are multiple progressions and rhythm throws or is the passing game simplified so it accentuates his abilities? I'm asking these questions because the issue comes down to can you design an offense to accommodate both the weaknesses and strengths of a qb. It's safe to say that Rosen and Allen won't/shouldn't be expected to play in the same type of offense.

It seems that you and many others are dismissing Allen as a prospect while so many others are enticed by his raw talents. My feeling is if the selecting organization is willing to be patient with him and take the time to groom him I don't see it as a poor pick. I would be very receptive to selecting him if the other premier prospects such as Darnold, Rosen and Mayfield were off the board. 

Sometimes when you are on a high diving board and you start to get butterflies the solution is not to look down and get more queasy. Just jump and then find out that what you worried about didn't come to pass. Sometimes taking action can remedy the common ill of over-analyzing. Just jump!

23 hours ago, Blokestradamus said:

Good point! He should choose his words more carefully in that context.Good point! He should choose his words more carefully in that context.