Saban's response to Rosen's comments regarding the demands of college football

UCLA SAT:

Overall Male: 1307

Male Athlete: 998

https://thehuskyhaul.com/2012/05/16/comparing-the-acceptance-rates-of-athletes-to-the-general-public/

The irony in Rosen’s comments, of course, is that UCLA is one of the worst offenders in bending the rules for athletes.

As far as I can tell, no media outlet has picked up on this. But that is the sorry state of journalism these days.

19 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

You keep missing the point....

And the article you posted doesn't have any football players.  It's swimmers, divers, softball and gymnasts.

And what does swimming, diving, softball and gymnastics have in common, and how do they differ from football?

20 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

Economics isn't a difficult major? What planet are you from? 

Yea but what about Economic?  I think they offer that at 'Bama.....

12 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Every Alabama football player should just be enrolled as Criminal Justice majors to prepare them for their time at Bama and afterwards. It would be the most practical degree offered

Yea their criminology course is practical lessons only.  

30 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

UCLA SAT:

Overall Male: 1307

Male Athlete: 998

https://thehuskyhaul.com/2012/05/16/comparing-the-acceptance-rates-of-athletes-to-the-general-public/

The irony in Rosen’s comments, of course, is that UCLA is one of the worst offenders in bending the rules for athletes.

As far as I can tell, no media outlet has picked up on this. But that is the sorry state of journalism these days.

And what does swimming, diving, softball and gymnastics have in common, and how do they differ from football?

Did you really ask how they differ from football?  You never played or know the environment  it’s obvious.  So you’re completely ignorant on the subject and yet you’re arguing about it....which makes you ignorant.  

Geezus dude, you’ve been acting like a stubborn 12 year old about all this....it’s pretty unbelievable.  You’re the “Leave Brittany Alone” guy when it comes to Alabama.

Edited by Royale with Cheese
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Name calling isn't becoming to you. I thought we were supposed to be thanking Rosen for sparking a debate? Isnt that what the article at Al.com says that you keep linking? Now that there is a debate you are having a hissy fit.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2017/08/instead_of_hating_josh_rosen_f.html

As a group, what is different between swimming, diving, softball and gymnastics and football?

Even though the 75th percentile ACT results between UCLA and Alabama are nearly identical, why do you think that the 25th percentile results are so different?

Put on your thinking cap.

Edited by Sky Diver
typo

Joshua Dobbs played QB for a big time college program and earned a degree in Aerospace Engineering, arguably the most difficult engineering degree. 

http://espn.com/blog/sec/post/_/id/115511/joshua-dobbs-aerospace-engineering-and-five-more-cfb-players-with-crazy-majors

6 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Can I play? 0:)

Rosen said that it’s too hard to play football and do academics, so it must not be true. We all know that Rosen is god-like with his superior intelligence and intellect.

Edited by Sky Diver

On 4/4/2018 at 5:38 PM, Sky Diver said:

Rosen thinks he is special because he attends UCLA and is majoring in Economics. For some reason, in explaining why playing football and doing academics is difficult, he chose to express his disdain for Alabama and Clemson and those who choose to major in subjects that he doesn’t think are difficult.

The guy appears to be a major snowflake.

He was using himself as an example but Rosen was talking to the larger picture of college athletes.   At major programs he feels that the players are steered to take easier course loads to ensure eligibility over taking classes that challenge them mentally.   He than again used an issue he faced that with his athletic obligations there were programs and majors he was not eligible for.  With that kind of institutional control its naive to then hide behind its all about receiving a higher learning when the majority of the time it is not.  There are outliers in every school.  That players had a goal going in and wanted to obtain a higher learning.  The point is not to look at the high achievers, its to look at the median .  The majority of the players are not pushed to achieve more, they are pushed to stay eligible. 

Grizzled "old school coach" to his player (with spit flying everywhere): NOW RUN THROUGH THAT BRICK WALL SON! Knock that sumofagun over! Hit it straight on, full speed!

Player: Coach, I could just walk around it. Save my body from taking that type of impact...

Coach: Damn millennials! I SAID BASH YOUR SKULL INTO THOSE BRICKS SON! DO IT NOW! Scramble those two brain cells you have in there! I want to be able to scoop custard out of your ears!

Player: I'm already past the wall coach!

Edited by TheFunPolice
  • Haha (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

I don’t really what Rosen feels, or that he allegedly couldn’t register for a course he needed. He’s a 21 yr old that can throw a ball.

Where are the facts and data?

I have not played top collegiate football or basketball so I can only go off a player who has lived it.  His perception and experience is more viable and relevant to me than a SEC media guide.

Multi Billion dollar business model artificially design to keep the money in the pockets of a few over the individuals that  create the product themselves.  Ballsy for a 21 year old to throw some shade at it.  An entitled rich kid doesn't show empathy for less fortunate teammates.  Being smart is not red flag to me. 

Edited by Mat68

8 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

I have not played top collegiate football or basketball so I can only go off a player who has lived it.  His perception and experience is more viable and relevant to me than a SEC media guide.

Multi Billion dollar business model artificially design to keep the money in the pockets of a few over the individuals that  create the product themselves.  Ballsy for a 21 year old to throw some shade at it.  An entitled rich kid doesn't show empathy for less fortunate teammates.  Being smart is not red flag to me. 

Please enlighten me on what he said that so smart and insightful and then perhaps we can have an intelligent discussion.

9 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

Please enlighten me on what he said that so smart and insightful and then perhaps we can have an intelligent discussion.

Indentured Servitude. Many docs about how NCAA designed the system to push Billions to school at the expense of the college athlete. 

Just go watch “Schooled” 

Edited by MAJBobby

5 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

You would need to read the whole interview about his feelings toward big time college athletics.  Its been discussed.  You disagree with his assessment of big time college athletics.  I tend to agree with him and have no problem about what he said.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

You would need to read the whole interview about his feelings toward big time college athletics.  Its been discussed.  You disagree with his assessment of big time college athletics.  I tend to agree with him and have no problem about what he said.  

That would require him actually reading the article, instead of formulating an opinion without, you know, reading it.

The football program at Alabama is adding money to the general fund and is helping the university attract elite students from all over the country. The majority of students are from out of state.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-met-illinois-students-brain-drain-20180405-story.html

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/06/education/edlife/survival-strategies-for-public-universities.html

About 84% of the football players at Alabama graduate with their degrees.

"Alabama is one of seven programs that recorded a 100-percent graduation rate for members of its 2010 freshman football class. Joining the Tide this year are Cincinnati, Middle Tennessee, Northwestern, Utah, Utah State and Virginia."

http://www.rolltide.com/news/2017/12/6/alabama-football-shares-2017-afca-academic-achievement-award.aspx

Great football and great academics.

Edited by Sky Diver