Saban's response to Rosen's comments regarding the demands of college football

54 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Dingdingdingding!

Why is our neighbor's top student studying Math at Alabama?  Because they offered him the best scholarship deal at a good price and recruited him.  He was accepted at a more prestigious school and was prepared to go - his math prof. Mom booked herself to teach extra summer classes to earn the extra money - then UA called and said "come here, we'll give you all this $$", they offered him the chance to do math research as a Freshman etc etc....

Confused. So that’s a bad thing?

Was he accepted into the CBH program? It’s an undergrad research program that enrolls about 40 elite students per year.

Edited by Sky Diver

16 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

It’s not a common strategy. Name the “elite” schools that offer super generous merit based scholarships that don’t require any financial reporting.

Well, first of all, I know for a fact that 'bama requires the family submit a financial statement for merit aid.  So the "don't require any financial reporting" requirement is BS you've created that no one who understands the college application process would put up as a criterion.  What I think you must mean is "don't award their merit aid based upon financial need".   And no

Disclosure, as I said before, I have a HS senior so I've been there done that recently and when I say we have a folder, it's because actually we do. 

Second,  you have to provide better definition of what is "elite".    Are you including Alabama as "elite"?  What exactly are your criteria?

Third, there are differences between super generous to the individual (but a small % of the class) and maybe not as much money but offered to a more significant number of students.  A number of elite schools by anyone's standard - Vanderbilt, Johns Hopkins, Northwestern, WUStl - offer full ride merit scholarships that have no dependence on financial need, the catch is they don't offer many - maybe less than 10 per class, maybe only 1 or 2.  They're looking to give the Harvard admit they're competing for a financial incentive, most like.  A number of other selective schools that are perhaps a step down, but most would consider quite selective - U of R, CWRU, Northeastern - also offer generous merit aid money to lure top students.

Now we get to public universities, usually the flagship in the state.  U of Alabama and Ole Miss both offer generous merit aid to lure students   Personally know top students attending both.  Barrett Honors College at ASU is very popular at my daughter's school because of their free ride to National Merit Finalists.  U of Oklahoma has a similar program. U of Texas Dallas has an amazing program, not just tuition and room and board, but stipend for summer internships and study abroad.  We got letters from most of those schools soliciting my kid to apply.  U of Minn TC, a school my kid applied and was accepted at, has not quite a full ride but very very generous merit aid and courts NMF.

This is far from an inclusive list.  The only reason I'm putting it out there at all is as a PSA: in general, Folks, Listen Up: if you're a parent of a teen, encourage them to start prepping for the SAT/PSAT as a freshman in HS.  Doesn't have to be fancy prep, Khan Academy is free (what we used) and the college board tests online are the best.  Doesn't have to be a big deal, average 20 minutes a week starting freshman year with some help figuring out why wrong answers are wrong and extra studying to catch up if the explanations don't make sense.  Because if your kid is a NMSF/NMF they CAN got to college for free these days, and to a very good school too.

The point is, while U of A has clearly made a commitment to raise the upper end of their student population by luring good students from out of state, it's far from unique, even among big, well known public universities. 

I'd love to be disappointed, but I can pretty much guess what I'll get as a response from Sky Diver.  I wouldn't try to construct an argument about "eliteness" based on % admits in the face of 25% of the student body having an ACT <22, let's just say that.  The only ones on my list I think you could make a good argument for being "less selective" than U of A would be Ole Miss and U of T Dallas, maybe U of Az and they're all clearly in the process of trying to do a similar thing.   U of Minn TC, and U of OK are better ranked schools and even ASU has a higher 25% on ACT than 'bama. 

'Ciao!

35 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

Confused. So that’s a bad thing?

It's a great thing from the perspective of increasing the overall level of students at U of A and offering opportunities to smart kids.

I would encourage parents who have top students to look at The Unviversity of Alabama. It’s arguably best value going for students that don’t qualify for need based aid. 

You don’t know what you are talking about. The FAFSA form isn’t required for Alabama’s guranteed merit scholarships.

https://scholarships.ua.edu/faq/

If your daughter is a top student AND has fincial need, that put’s her in great shape. A lot of students don’t have a financial need and most merit scholarships have a financial component.

And ASU is another popular school for value minded students, but I don’t think they have a scholarship comparable to Alabama’s Presidential Scholarship. Ole Miss and Alabama are the best deals for guaranteed merit scholarships. I am familiar with both schools and I prefer UA personally, but Ole Miss has some good programs.

NMF is a different category, but more schools have special scholarships.

Edited by Sky Diver

8 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

I would encourage parents who have top students to look at The Unviversity of Alabama. It’s arguably best value going for students that don’t qualify for need based aid. 

You don’t know what you are talking about. The FAFSA form isn’t required for Alabama’s guranteed merit scholarships.

https://scholarships.ua.edu/faq/

If your daughter is a top student AND has fincial need, that put’s her in great shape. A lot of students don’t have a financial need and most merit scholarships have a financial component.

And ASU is another popular school for value minded students, but I don’t think they have a scholarship comparable to Alabama’s Presidential Scholarship. Ole Miss and Alabama are the best deals for guaranteed merit scholarships. I am familiar with both schools and I prefer UA personally, but Ole Miss has some good programs.

Every California National Merit Scholar has a UC spot waiting for him or her.  Every Finalist as well.

On 4/3/2018 at 3:51 PM, Sky Diver said:

My understanding is that all financial aid is need based. Do they bend the rules for athletes?

Ivy league schools have a "needs blind" admission policy. They don't ask for your financial information until after they've accepted you. They then put together a package of aid, work-study, loans, etc. (depending on the university) so that you can theoretically afford to go there. So athletes are recruited and then get aid when they are accepted to the school. It's not exactly a scholarship, which they don't offer, but it can be a lot of cheap money.

On 4/3/2018 at 3:01 PM, horned dogs said:

This is typical of D1 coaches more now than ever. As a former D1 hockey player at an IVY league school 30-35 years ago, and having my son take the same path in the last few years, let me shed a little perspective on it.

When I played, we had practice at 5:00 and it ended at 6:30-6:45. You headed over to the rink about 4:15- a short walk.  Shower and dinner after practice back home no later than 7:45. Total time per day 3.5 hours. Occasional community service commitments on weekend.

My son's experience was like a job and is viewed like that by the players and coach. Between meetings with coaches, lifting , special instruction ,watching film, practice, time with the trainer and doing many community type events, he had way more time invested. Hell after the games they were required to ride exercise bikes while family members waited for them. He easily averaged 6 hours a day on his sport. During this 6 hours, people who are not playing sports have a huge time advantage.

Summers are different too. My sons coach does NOT permit players to do summer internships! He wants them to be in town and working out. On more than couple occasions the coach screamed at the team ," I thought I was getting hockey players and instead I got students!" This is no kidding and at an IVY league institution. People have no idea how different it is.

People who think it is no different now, have  forgotten how big a business college sports have become. Careers, big contracts, egos, getting a better job, high stakes all play into it more than ever. And, Nick Saban is one of the worst I'm sure. Josh Rosen 1000% correct. Hell when i played we had some engineers on the team (I was one), Now-none..nadda..it doesn't work period end of it.

This is unquestionably true. I went to an Ivy league school as well and I used to marvel at the student athletes. I mean, I was getting 6 hours sleep a night as it was and these kids were practicing and training per the schedule you indicate and then trying to do the same academic work as me on top of it. Most of the ones that I knew struggled. It's not just tough time wise, but physically. You are tired enough in college, forget after all the practicing and working out...

Edited by vincec
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

Geezus Frickin Freck!  Sky Diver, you are WAY over the top.  Seek professional help.

First of all, I did not say "FAFSA was required".  Your words were "don't require ANY FINANCIAL REPORTING".   I said that's bogus, because it is.

Now YOU bring up something that you didn't initially (FAFSA), and insult me as "you don't know what you're talking about" because this thing that was never part of your initial post OR my response, the FAFSA, is not required. 

Pure straw man.  And you've been doing it Over.  And Over.  And Over.  again in this thread.

Go look at your own U of A web page.  It says right there "The value of institutional scholarship funds, or the combination of institutional scholarships with the faculty/staff Educational Benefit may not exceed the cost of attendance as outlined at http://financialaid.ua.edu/cost/. This does not affect any outside sources of aid such as veteran benefits, PACT, external agency and scholarships, privately funded scholarships, federal grants and loans"  How do they know that the value of institutional scholarship funds doesn't exceed the cost of attendance?  By requiring financial reporting.  Sheesh.

I thought it was just Rosen, but it appears you can't be rational about anything involving Alabama.  It's not that it isn't a decent school, even a good school - it is.  But it's far from unique in the merit scholarships it offers.

Telling someone who explains that they just completed the whole "looking for college" process and have friends and family who just went through it as well, that they don't know what they are talking about, goes WAY beyond silly.

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Well, first of all, I know for a fact that 'bama requires the family submit a financial statement for merit aid.  So the "don't require any financial reporting" requirement is BS you've created that no one who understands the college application process would put up as a criterion.  What I think you must mean is "don't award their merit aid based upon financial need".   And no

Disclosure, as I said before, I have a HS senior so I've been there done that recently and when I say we have a folder, it's because actually we do. 

Second,  you have to provide better definition of what is "elite".    Are you including Alabama as "elite"?  What exactly are your criteria?

Third, there are differences between super generous to the individual (but a small % of the class) and maybe not as much money but offered to a more significant number of students.  A number of elite schools by anyone's standard - Vanderbilt, Johns Hopkins, Northwestern, WUStl - offer full ride merit scholarships that have no dependence on financial need, the catch is they don't offer many - maybe less than 10 per class, maybe only 1 or 2.  They're looking to give the Harvard admit they're competing for a financial incentive, most like.  A number of other selective schools that are perhaps a step down, but most would consider quite selective - U of R, CWRU, Northeastern - also offer generous merit aid money to lure top students.

Now we get to public universities, usually the flagship in the state.  U of Alabama and Ole Miss both offer generous merit aid to lure students   Personally know top students attending both.  Barrett Honors College at ASU is very popular at my daughter's school because of their free ride to National Merit Finalists.  U of Oklahoma has a similar program. U of Texas Dallas has an amazing program, not just tuition and room and board, but stipend for summer internships and study abroad.  We got letters from most of those schools soliciting my kid to apply.  U of Minn TC, a school my kid applied and was accepted at, has not quite a full ride but very very generous merit aid and courts NMF.

This is far from an inclusive list.  The only reason I'm putting it out there at all is as a PSA: in general, Folks, Listen Up: if you're a parent of a teen, encourage them to start prepping for the SAT/PSAT as a freshman in HS.  Doesn't have to be fancy prep, Khan Academy is free (what we used) and the college board tests online are the best.  Doesn't have to be a big deal, average 20 minutes a week starting freshman year with some help figuring out why wrong answers are wrong and extra studying to catch up if the explanations don't make sense.  Because if your kid is a NMSF/NMF they CAN got to college for free these days, and to a very good school too.

The point is, while U of A has clearly made a commitment to raise the upper end of their student population by luring good students from out of state, it's far from unique, even among big, well known public universities. 

I'd love to be disappointed, but I can pretty much guess what I'll get as a response from Sky Diver.  I wouldn't try to construct an argument about "eliteness" based on % admits in the face of 25% of the student body having an ACT <22, let's just say that.  The only ones on my list I think you could make a good argument for being "less selective" than U of A would be Ole Miss and U of T Dallas, maybe U of Az and they're all clearly in the process of trying to do a similar thing.   U of Minn TC, and U of OK are better ranked schools and even ASU has a higher 25% on ACT than 'bama. 

'Ciao!

It's a great thing from the perspective of increasing the overall level of students at U of A and offering opportunities to smart kids.

UT-Dallas scholarships aren’t guaranteed and there is a financial need component. I know Minn. They have nothing similar to UA. Oklahoma made recent change to their program. Don’t recall the details, but it is far less generous.

Again, NMF is a different category with unique scholarships.

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Geezus Frickin Freck!  Sky Diver, you are WAY over the top.  Seek professional help.

First of all, I did not say "FAFSA was required".  Your words were "don't require ANY FINANCIAL REPORTING".   I said that's bogus, because it is.

Now YOU bring up something that you didn't initially (FAFSA), and insult me as "you don't know what you're talking about" because this thing that was never part of your initial post OR my response, the FAFSA, is not required. 

Pure straw man.  And you've been doing it Over.  And Over.  And Over.  again in this thread.

Go look at your own U of A web page.  It says right there "The value of institutional scholarship funds, or the combination of institutional scholarships with the faculty/staff Educational Benefit may not exceed the cost of attendance as outlined at http://financialaid.ua.edu/cost/. This does not affect any outside sources of aid such as veteran benefits, PACT, external agency and scholarships, privately funded scholarships, federal grants and loans"  How do they know that the value of institutional scholarship funds doesn't exceed the cost of attendance?  By requiring financial reporting.  Sheesh.

I thought it was just Rosen, but it appears you can't be rational about anything involving Alabama.  It's not that it isn't a decent school, even a good school - it is.  But it's far from unique in the merit scholarships it offers.

Telling someone who explains that they just completed the whole "looking for college" process and have friends and family who just went through it as well, that they don't know what they are talking about, goes WAY beyond silly.

What other financial reporting is there other than FAFSA? 

Again, you don’t know what you are talking about. You do not have to file any financial documents to qualify for and receive UA’s guaranteee merit scholarships. You don’t even have to file a scholarship application.

No, students only need to have the completed application for admission, application fee, official high school transcript (grades 9-11), and official ACT or SAT scores submitted by December 15. A submitted scholarship application before December 15 is still encouraged, as it allows a student to be considered for additional scholarships through academic departments and the National Alumni Association.

You have X ACT/SAT and X GPA and you get X dollars.

The Presidential used to be 32 or greater ACT and starting this year it’s 33. It used to be full tuition and starting this year it’s $25K/yr. Engineering majors get another $2500K/yr.

I don’t care what process you went through. You clearly don’t understand how UA’s scholarship program works or how it compares to programs at other schools.

Edited by Sky Diver

2 hours ago, Sky Diver said:

2012 article. They have made significant changes since then.

I quit counting at 100. When you say “significant” is that something you can put a number to?

https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/rankings/most-merit-aid

Oh wait, here are only public institutions because I know that’s where you’d go. Help me on this one, will you please, what number are they?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.road2college.com/public-universities-with-largest-merit-scholarships/%3fwpamp

13 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

I quit counting at 100. When you say “significant” is that something you can put a number to?

https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/rankings/most-merit-aid

Oh wait, here are only public institutions because I know that’s where you’d go. Help me on this one, will you please, what number are they?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.road2college.com/public-universities-with-largest-merit-scholarships/%3fwpamp

Not sure what some people can’t understand about  guaranteed merit scholarships. 

There used to be a quite a few schools that offered them. Now it’s a handful and they are less generous than they used to be.

A lot of high stat students are taking advantage of UA’s incredibly generous guaranteed merit scholarships. No school is for everyone though.

Edited by Sky Diver

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Curious what schools have better NMF packages than Alabama. My friend’s son who will be going to UW-Madison is a NMF and he got nothing. UA is generous with AP/dual enrollment credit, so with the University Scholars Program, it’s possible to get a MS in 4 yrs. If not, the NMF scholarship covers tuition for a 5th year.

packages iconNational Merit Finalist Package

• Value of tuition for up to five years or 10 semesters for degree-seeking undergraduate and graduate (or law) studies
  • Four years of on-campus housing at regular room rate* (based on assignment by Housing and Residential Communities)
  • $3,500 per year Merit Scholarship stipend for four years.
  • One-time allowance of $2,000 for use in summer research or international study (after completing one year of study at UA)
  • $2,000 book scholarship ($500 per year for four years)

8 hours ago, Sky Diver said:

A lot of high stat students are taking advantage of UA’s incredibly generous guaranteed merit scholarships. 

Funny, I can find no list that agrees with you.  Perhaps you can help with a link?

They did come in at #50 on one 2018 list of top public schools that I saw.  We have 50 states plus DC & PR so that's something.

1 hour ago, Cripple Creek said:

Funny, I can find no list that agrees with you.  Perhaps you can help with a link?

They did come in at #50 on one 2018 list of top public schools that I saw.  We have 50 states plus DC & PR so that's something.

75th Percentile ACT is 32. 40% of students have at least a 30 ACT.

NYT article about how Alabama is attracting top students nationally.

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/11/06/education/edlife/survival-strategies-for-public-universities.html

Chicago Tribune article about how Alabama is attracting top students from IL.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-met-illinois-students-brain-drain-20180405-story,amp.html

Business Insider article about a kid who turned down all 8 Ivies for Alabama and why it was a great decision.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.businessinsider.com/ronald-nelson-turned-down-every-ivy-league-school-for-university-of-alabama-2015-5

Alabama engineering teams win awards.

https://www.ua.edu/news/2017/08/engineering-students-bring-home-international-prize/

https://www.ua.edu/news/2017/05/a-three-peat-for-ua-robotics-team-at-nasa-contest/

https://www.nasa.gov/feature/2017-rmc-award-winners

One of only 16 schools invited to partipate in 

National  vehicle program.

https://www.ua.edu/news/2018/03/ua-student-team-ready-for-finals-of-national-vehicle-program/

First in enrollment of National Merit Scholars.

https://www.ua.edu/news/2013/02/ua-ranks-first-among-public-universities-in-enrollment-of-national-merit-scholars/

Number 1 in the nation in Goldwater Scholars.

https://www.ua.edu/news/2017/04/four-ua-students-named-goldwater-scholars-in-2017/

Forensics Council wins 21st National Championship.

https://www.ua.edu/news/2017/03/alabama-forensics-council-wins-21st-national-championship/

Edited by Sky Diver

11 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

So if you don’t like the numbers you post a link to why the numbers are meaningless. You like the numbers you post a link to prove that the numbers matter. Priceless.

3 hours ago, Cripple Creek said:

So if you don’t like the numbers you post a link to why the numbers are meaningless. You like the numbers you post a link to prove that the numbers matter. Priceless.

Of course I like numbers. I’m an engineer. 

Is that really what you got from all the links I sent regarding Alabama attracting top students?

The methodology behind college rankings is sketchy, to say the least.

On 4/12/2018 at 8:45 PM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

'Ciao!

You mentioned Minnesota. Have you compared their NMF package to Alabama’s?

https://admissions.tc.umn.edu/nationalmerit/

https://scholarships.ua.edu/nationalscholars/

Seeing any differences? :)

Your student is NMF. Congrats, but a lot of the scholarship money you are taking about is based on financial need and are not guraranteed.

Alabama’s merit scholarships are automatic, guaranteed and not based on financial need.

I know that you and others here don’t get it and probably never will but UA’s scholarships are unique. Only a handful of schools have anything similar and they aren’t as generous, perhaps with the exception of Ole Miss.

On 4/12/2018 at 7:07 PM, Mr. WEO said:

Cost of Attendance

The table below shows in-state and out-of-state tuition and fees for the 2017-2018 academic year. These amounts reflect the estimated costs for a full-time dependent undergraduate student. For additional information, visit studentaccounts.ua.edu.

Direct Cost In-State Out-of-State
Indirect Cost In-State Out-of-State
Tuition $10,780 $28,100
Fees Estimate $800 $800
Room $8,900 $8,900
Board $4,324 $4,324
Total Direct Cost $24,804 $42,124
Books $1,200 $1,200
Transportation $1,740 $2,870
Miscellaneous $2,380 $2,380
Loan Fee Estimate $60 $60
Total Indirect Cost $5,380 $6,510
TOTAL (Direct + Indirect) $30,184

$48,634

....any idea what the SALARY CAP is at 'Bama versus UCLA??..........

• Like (+1) 1