Are We As Adults Creating A Society Of Kittys?

I'm honestly not concerned if individuals believe me or not, but I have no motivation to be untruthful about this, and I'm not sure why it's hard to believe.

The world was a very different place in the early 80's.  We were not as litigious as a society.  The same school did things like call in the local fire department at the beginning of winter to completely flood the recess yard so that we could ice skate all winter.  When kids slipped and broke bones the school would call the parents who would come get them and have a good laugh, with the "kids will be kids, and sometimes they slip and fall, but I'm glad they were outside having fun" mentality.

• Like (+1) 2

18 minutes ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

I'm honestly not concerned if individuals believe me or not, but I have no motivation to be untruthful about this, and I'm not sure why it's hard to believe.

The world was a very different place in the early 80's.  We were not as litigious as a society.  The same school did things like call in the local fire department at the beginning of winter to completely flood the recess yard so that we could ice skate all winter.  When kids slipped and broke bones the school would call the parents who would come get them and have a good laugh, with the "kids will be kids, and sometimes they slip and fall, but I'm glad they were outside having fun" mentality.

I don't find that hard to believe at all. That's a lot what it was like when I was in grade school back in the 60's.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

I remember in the '70s when we not only walked to school by ourselves, but we knew how to cross the street on our own.

Now, the crossing guard at the school down the road cites me if I try to cross by myself.  Because it sets a bad example for the kids.  Literally, I, as an adult, am not allowed to cross the street by myself because "think of the children!"  

• Like (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

I remember in the '70s when we not only walked to school by ourselves, but we knew how to cross the street on our own.

Now, the crossing guard at the school down the road cites me if I try to cross by myself.  Because it sets a bad example for the kids.  Literally, I, as an adult, am not allowed to cross the street by myself because "think of the children!"  

You, as a crossing guard need to set a good example for the kids. Didn't they teach you that at orientation?

4 hours ago, DC Tom said:

Sorry to hear this, Tom. Your life is so hard! 

Even the Puritans worried that the younger generation was going to hell in a handbasket.  The dumbasses would slip and fall around the hearth and get an andiron upside their skull.  Nothing a few leeches could fix. <_<

8 hours ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

Drinking age was 18... My brother was hosting keggers at 17 in the basement... Where were my parents... Home of course. Only rule in winter was: no boots, shoes in house... LoL... Mudroom looked like a shoe store.  Where was my father, of course drinking with them.

Damn lawyers!!!  They wreck everything!

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

13 hours ago, DC Tom said:

So the generation gap is now manifesting itself with recollections of the "Glory Days" of the 60's, 70's and 80's. :rolleyes:

We had crossing guards in the 1970's at School 66 in Buffalo. Fran, our guard,  even helped me out once. I was in 2nd grade and was walking out of school when I found a couple stop watches sitting on a pillar and grabbed them. They were just sitting there with no one around. I thought they were cool. So it turns out the gym teacher had left them there and was all pissed they were gone. So I was scared and told Fran and she took them and gave them back to him. 

My friend was a jerk to her though. He'd never wait for her to give the signal and was all cool so he would go across by himself just to disrespect her. Jerk! 

6 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

We won't need crossing guards in the future, we'll have self-driving cars that will always stop for the Kidlets in the crosswalk!

Will there be schools in the future? I mean the kids could just do all their work at home online. We could have about 50 teachers cover every student in the country. All work would be graded by programs and we all could save a lot of money B-)

29 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

So the generation gap is now manifesting itself with recollections of the "Glory Days" of the 60's, 70's and 80's. :rolleyes:

We had crossing guards in the 1970's at School 66 in Buffalo. Fran, our guard,  even helped me out once. I was in 2nd grade and was walking out of school when I found a couple stop watches sitting on a pillar and grabbed them. They were just sitting there with no one around. I thought they were cool. So it turns out the gym teacher had left them there and was all pissed they were gone. So I was scared and told Fran and she took them and gave them back to him. 

My friend was a jerk to her though. He'd never wait for her to give the signal and was all cool so he would go across by himself just to disrespect her. Jerk! 

Will there be schools in the future? I mean the kids could just do all their work at home online. We could have about 50 teachers cover every student in the country. All work would be graded by programs and we all could save a lot of money B-)

Wow, you've just solved the problem of mass shootings in schools.

• Haha (+1) 1

On 3/27/2018 at 3:07 PM, TakeYouToTasker said:

The school that I attended had a unique and incredibly effective stance on bullying.

Students were encouraged to physically engage bullies in groups, and pummel them into submission whenever they would act, and only the bullies were punished after the fact.  It led to a culture in which bullies never emerged, and groups collaborated to solve problems.

My son was bullied more than once.It was mostly little things but relentlessly annoying. The last time it happened, he was having his face pushed into a drinking fountain in the hall way. He finally had enough, grabbed the kid, and tossed him into a classroom door. The kid "spilled" into the classroom. The teacher looked at the kid on the floor and then at my son. He sent the bully to the office and told my son to go back to his class. :lol:

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, rockpile said:

My son was bullied more than once.It was mostly little things but relentlessly annoying. The last time it happened, he was having his face pushed into a drinking fountain in the hall way. He finally had enough, grabbed the kid, and tossed him into a classroom door. The kid "spilled" into the classroom. The teacher looked at the kid on the floor and then at my son. He sent the bully to the office and told my son to go back to his class. :lol:

But the bully cries and acts like the perfect victim and the liberal principal takes his side.

11 minutes ago, rockpile said:

Not this time.

a stupid bully, one with an IQ over 70 knows how to play adults with power who don't really give a crap

i had a file a few years ago with a scumbag who stole millions from senior citizens and got a shrink to write a 100 page report for his defense over how he was a bully and beat everyone up on the playground so this made him insecure and caused him to be shy as an adult leading to him stealing all this money