NFL.com rating grades and analysis of QB draft prospects

BobbyC81

NFL.com does a great job of providing rating grades and analysis of all of the draft prospects.  The grades are on a scale of 10 and Darnold was given a grade of 7.0.  To put that in perspective, their legend shows that a grade between 7.00 and 7.49 classifies a player as "Pro Bowl to All-Pro Ability".   His NFL comparison is Andrew Luck.

The grades for the other top QBs and their comparisons are as follows:

Rosen- 6.1, comp- Trent Green

Mayfield- 6.0, Doug Flutie 

J.Allen- 6.0, Locker

L.Jackson- 5.9, M.Vick

Grades between 6.0 and 6.49 are noted as "Chance to become good NFL starter".

Comparing Darnold's grade of 7.0 to other position players, only 4 players (Barkley, Nelson, Chubb and Edmunds) were given a higher grade with Barkley the highest at 7.4

So, the NFL.com analysis supports the position that Darnold is probably the only QB that should be taken in the first few picks, and to me, the only one worth the Bills trading a king's ransom to move up for.

I appeciate Lance Zierlein giving is something to read, but,

these profiles were completed before the scouting combine and subsequent pro days.

This material was added to NFL.com over a month ago, thus, they are outdated.

Not to mention, teams don't rely on Lance Zierlien to pick the QB (and most important player on their team) for their billion dollar franchise.

50 minutes ago, Bag of Milk said:

these profiles were completed before the scouting combine and subsequent pro days.

Not to mention, teams don't rely on Lance Zierlien to pick the QB (and most important player on their team) for their billion dollar franchise.

Right, that's why they have their combine results displayed.

16 minutes ago, LittleJoeCartwright said:

Right, that's why they have their combine results displayed.

The combine information is completely seperate from the grades.

These profiles (with ratings unchanged) have been up WAY before the combine and was not added by Lance.

Thanks  for playing.

1 hour ago, LittleJoeCartwright said:

NFL.com does a great job of providing rating grades and analysis of all of the draft prospects.  The grades are on a scale of 10 and Darnold was given a grade of 7.0.  To put that in perspective, their legend shows that a grade between 7.00 and 7.49 classifies a player as "Pro Bowl to All-Pro Ability".   His NFL comparison is Andrew Luck.

The grades for the other top QBs and their comparisons are as follows:

Rosen- 6.1, comp- Trent Green

Mayfield- 6.0, Doug Flutie 

J.Allen- 6.0, Locker

L.Jackson- 5.9, M.Vick

Grades between 6.0 and 6.49 are noted as "Chance to become good NFL starter".

Comparing Darnold's grade of 7.0 to other position players, only 4 players (Barkley, Nelson, Chubb and Edmunds) were given a higher grade with Barkley the highest at 7.4

So, the NFL.com analysis supports the position that Darnold is probably the only QB that should be taken in the first few picks, and to me, the only one worth the Bills trading a king's ransom to move up for.

The comparison part IS NOT based on play style and projection... it's based almost strictly on a physical, height/weight comparison 

Look at who they compare Chad Kelly too... Andy Dalton... they are nothing alike style wise except that they are both 6'2 220

1 hour ago, Buffalo716 said:

The comparison part IS NOT based on play style and projection... it's based almost strictly on a physical, height/weight comparison 

Look at who they compare Chad Kelly too... Andy Dalton... they are nothing alike style wise except that they are both 6'2 220

Yes, and they had to overemphasize Mayfield's lack of height by giving him a comparison of Flutie.

I found the following interesting.  Gives me some hope we can get a QB without trading everything.

Darnold......... 7.0.

Rosen............ 6.1.

Mayfield........ 6.0.

Allen.............. 6.0.

Jackson........ 5.9.

Rudolph........ 5.6.

White............ 5.6.

Lauletta........ 5.2.

Ferguson...... 5.1

Woodside..... 4.9.

2 hours ago, Bag of Milk said:

You see, that is PRECISELY why I think they are valuable. The only thing that is of value is the tape. And I say that knowing that my NFL treats my favorite college QB less favorably. 

9 minutes ago, PIZ said:

I found the following interesting.  Gives me some hope we can get a QB without trading everything.

Darnold......... 7.0.

Rosen............ 6.1.

Mayfield........ 6.0.

Allen.............. 6.0.

Jackson........ 5.9.

Rudolph........ 5.6.

White............ 5.6.

Lauletta........ 5.2.

Ferguson...... 5.1

Woodside..... 4.9.

If that is the case, then why worry?
McCarron .... 5.7 (which was in the same year as Garrapolo, 5.8)

Just now, Bag of Milk said:

Yes, I misspoke. The tape isn't the only thing of value. 

But the importance that people put on the combine is absurd and what is more on Pro Days (even more absurdly valued). Only a few years ago the combine wasn't even fully attended. The draft process now is a money making machine and less connected to the truth than ever it was.

At the end of the day, the process after the last game will recede in value from here. Computer analysis of tapes will increase in value and the only thing that will persist will be the interviews.

Agreed though - they aren't the only thing of value.

• Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, Tyrod's friend said:

You see, that is PRECISELY why I think they are valuable. The only thing that is of value is the tape. And I say that knowing that my NFL treats my favorite college QB less favorably. 

If that is the case, then why worry?
McCarron .... 5.7 (which was in the same year as Garrapolo, 5.8)

The NFL is  valued at over 75 billion dollars.

Trust me, if the tape was the only thing that mattered they would not bother with the scouting combine and individual visits to team facilities.

The fact is, tape shows who dominated at the college level, a level with less athleticsm and total skill.

The combine and visits help teams project which of these players will be able to transfer their skills to play against the best of the best every game

Edited by Bag of Milk

44 minutes ago, Green Lightning said:

Dak Prescott's ranking was 5.4 or thereabouts. So I tend to discount those rankings every year.

What I have found is that the rankings are actually pretty correct in terms of when the top QBs will go off the board - especially at the top of the board. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Tyrod's friend said:

What I have found is that the rankings are actually pretty correct in terms of when the top QBs will go off the board - especially at the top of the board. 

I'll have to keep an eye out for that. I'm a little surprised that Darnold was a whole point better than Rosen, considering Darnold's Loopy delivery.

• Like (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, Green Lightning said:

I'll have to keep an eye out for that. I'm a little surprised that Darnold was a whole point better than Rosen, considering Darnold's Loopy delivery.

Well, the loopy delivery doesn't matter at all. Franchise QBs have all sorts of different deliveries.

4 hours ago, Bag of Milk said:

So does the combine & pro day performance outweigh the  prospects seasonal evaluation and game film review ?