My Latest Mock Draft with Bills Picks

The most gaping hole on the team is qb.  They are not going to risk losing out on a potential franchise qb by waiting to 22 to draft one.  The pick at 12 will be qb or they will trade up.  Still think the latter is most likely.  I suspect in the end a fortune is paid to the Gmen to secure #2.  They will pick a Josh, but I'm not sure which one.

Browns at 1 and Jets at 3 are the only QB's I see going to the teams in the top third of the draft.  Giants and Broncos I see trying to build for now.

Noboby is gonna wanna pay the exhorbitant price the Giants will demand to go up to the 2nd pick.  So I believe they will draft DE Bradley Chubb.

The trade sweet spot is with the 4th pick.  So let's look at the QB landscape.  Browns take Darnold at 1, Jets take Rosen at 3.  Leaving all the rest of the QB's available at 4.  The team with the most draft capitol is the Bills and the team with the greatest long term need is Arizona.

Do the Browns stay at 4 and draft Barkley?  Do they field offers for the pick?

For Arizona to go up it will cost them their 1st and 3rd in 2018 and their 1st in 2019.  Browns could use at DT, CB and OT and also have three 2nd round picks to address those needs.

The Bills to go from 12 to 4 could offer pick 12 and next years 1st to lock in their choice of QB.  It really depends on how the Bills have them rated.

I'd prefer to let Arizona come up to 4, save the picks and draft who falls to us.  Nobody between picks 7-10 needs a QB, Dolphins at 11 just modified monies paid to Tannehill and moving on from him is no feasible for two years and have huge holes at DT and LB.

Then, what time between 13-21 has a QB need at the top of their board, well let's see:

13. Redskins Alex Smith - No

14. Packers Aaron Rogers - No

15. Cardinals  Yes (May trade up)

16. Ravens Joe Flacco No

17. Chargers Phillip Rivers No

18. Seahawks Russell Wilson No

19. Cowboys Zak Prescott No

20. Lions Matt Stafford No

21. Bengals Andy Dalton No

If Mayfield, Rosen, Jackson and Rudolph slip past 11 which I think is going to happen, don't see a reason for Bills or Cardinals to give away future draft picks when a QB is gonna fall to them anyways unless they are locked in on "their guy"

These are my thoughts, looking forward to yours.

1 minute ago, RPbillsfan said:

Browns at 1 and Jets at 3 are the only QB's I see going to the teams in the top third of the draft.  Giants and Broncos I see trying to build for now.

Noboby is gonna wanna pay the exhorbitant price the Giants will demand to go up to the 2nd pick.  So I believe they will draft DE Bradley Chubb.

The trade sweet spot is with the 4th pick.  So let's look at the QB landscape.  Browns take Darnold at 1, Jets take Rosen at 3.  Leaving all the rest of the QB's available at 4.  The team with the most draft capitol is the Bills and the team with the greatest long term need is Arizona.

Do the Browns stay at 4 and draft Barkley?  Do they field offers for the pick?

For Arizona to go up it will cost them their 1st and 3rd in 2018 and their 1st in 2019.  Browns could use at DT, CB and OT and also have three 2nd round picks to address those needs.

The Bills to go from 12 to 4 could offer pick 12 and next years 1st to lock in their choice of QB.  It really depends on how the Bills have them rated.

I'd prefer to let Arizona come up to 4, save the picks and draft who falls to us.  Nobody between picks 7-10 needs a QB, Dolphins at 11 just modified monies paid to Tannehill and moving on from him is no feasible for two years and have huge holes at DT and LB.

Then, what time between 13-21 has a QB need at the top of their board, well let's see:

13. Redskins Alex Smith - No

14. Packers Aaron Rogers - No

15. Cardinals  Yes (May trade up)

16. Ravens Joe Flacco No

17. Chargers Phillip Rivers No

18. Seahawks Russell Wilson No

19. Cowboys Zak Prescott No

20. Lions Matt Stafford No

21. Bengals Andy Dalton No

If Mayfield, Rosen, Jackson and Rudolph slip past 11 which I think is going to happen, don't see a reason for Bills or Cardinals to give away future draft picks when a QB is gonna fall to them anyways unless they are locked in on "their guy"

These are my thoughts, looking forward to yours.

I am technically at work, so I can't do justice to your thoughts.  They seem rational and plausible to me at first glance, though I still suspect Cards or Chargers are more likely to trade up for qb than you suspect.  I personally would trade up to four under this scenario and take Josh Allen or Baker Mayfield.  I am torn on trading a 2019 1st, because the fellas who seem to know something say next year is a superlative year for DL in the first round.  I do like the idea of hanging on to 22 where I would probably target lb.

IMO - it all really depends on what Cleveland does with the first pick, if they take Darnold then I think the Giants will take Barkly and then the Jets would get Rosen but if Clev takes Rosen, then I see the Giants taking Darnold and the Jets taking Allen, leaving Barkly to go 4th.  This is going to be the most interesting draft in a long time. 

Let's Go Buffalo!!!!! 

That mock would be a complete fail. We have a shot at Rosen and Mayfield and missed on both. 

I would not not be surprised if Edmunds is the only long term starter from this mock. We need to come out of this draft with 4

starters.

Washington is not a good route runner and got exposed at the senior bowl, Jewel does not have NFL athleticism and should be a late round pick, McFadden would probably be a good 3rd or 4th corner, Penny has a shot to be a starter but may end up being a change of pace guy.

I still think Jackson would be a step back from Taylor.

Edited by billspro

1 hour ago, billspro said:

That mock would be a complete fail. We have a shot at Rosen and Mayfield and missed on both. 

I would not not be surprised if Edmunds is the only long term starter from this mock. We need to come out of this draft with 4

starters.

Washington is not a good route runner and got exposed at the senior bowl, Jewel does not have NFL athleticism and should be a late round pick, McFadden would probably be a good 3rd or 4th corner, Penny has a shot to be a starter but may end up being a change of pace guy.

I still think Jackson would be a step back from Taylor.

Rosen is injury prone and has had two concussions last year.  His upper body needs work and for as pretty a pass he throws he locker room intangibles are questionable.  With his opionins he may be a locker room problem and may rub teammates the wrong way.  I'm concerned that with his families financial stability he may simply retire after another concussion.

Mayfield is short and as we have seen over the past three seasons leads to issues seeing over larger players and he has nowhere the movement of Tyrod.  Yes he is very accurate and is an inspirational leader, but short dosent get any better over time and I'm not sure he has the arm to succeed in Buffalo.

My Mock had Washington because I believe DJ Moore is more of a slot guy, Ridley, Sutton and Kirk are going higher and my preferred receiver would be DJ Chark but I don't think he will be available.

The rest of my picks fill needs and are based on the type of players the Bills covet.

Give me your trade up offer for what you give up.  Then mock the rest of our draft on the choices we have left.

11 hours ago, RPbillsfan said:

I guess I don't see what Rosen brings that is so much better then Jackson.  Have you ever watched the game tape on both these guys.  When under duress in the pocket, Rosen takes the hits while Jackson has that ability to move his feet, reset and throw.  He dosent take big hits and has escapability that Rosen dosent have.

Jackson has a better arm and is behind Rosen only in accuracy.  That's important, in fact critical but in a Daboll offense the RPO will be a very big aspect of what we do and I think an athletic QB with escapability is essential to our future success.

If I was to rate the QB's in relation to what I've seen through their college careers, combine and pro days is:

1.  Darnold

2.  Jackson - Pro Day to come

3.  Mayfield

4.  Rosen

5.  Rudolph

6.  Allen

Because they see what they want to see!! I'm in agreement with you by the way?

18 hours ago, RPbillsfan said:

Buffalo at 53 - James Washington - WR

Buffalo at 56 - Josey Jewell - LB

Buffalo at 65 - Tarvarus McFadden - CB

Buffalo at 96 - Rashard Penny - RB

I have real doubts James Washington lasts until 53 and almost zero chance Penny makes it out of 2nd round after his combine, and 100% he will be long gone before 96 IMO.  

However, if this all happened I would LOVE this draft.  But I have real doubts about Lamar lasting to 22 as well.  

9 hours ago, Zebrastripes said:

Yes I have watched game tape on both of these guys.  Accuracy is the single most important trait for a QB.  In an RPO offense it's even that much more important because of the short quick throws.  Athleticism is pretty much irrelevant when evaluating a QB look at Brady and Manning.  As for arm strength Rosen has plenty strong enough arm to hit all NFL throws.  What good does it do Jackson if he can throw the ball a mile but not hit his target?  

The problem is that most people who claim Lamar isnt accurate haven't really watched him play much and focus on comp %.  And his comp % was massively impacted by being among the most dropped passes in college football last year...I think they may have even led the league.  Those dropped passes only hurt one stat...his comp %...and it was a ton of dropped passes.  

His WR group was weak and did him no favors.  Lamar is a better passes than most think just because they look at a stat without seeing all the stats, or they jump to that conclusion just on assumption because he is a dual threat QB.

28 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I have real doubts James Washington lasts until 53 and almost zero chance Penny makes it out of 2nd round after his combine, and 100% he will be long gone before 96 IMO.  

However, if this all happened I would LOVE this draft.  But I have real doubts about Lamar lasting to 22 as well.  

The problem is that most people who claim Lamar isnt accurate haven't really watched him play much and focus on comp %.  And his comp % was massively impacted by being among the most dropped passes in college football last year...I think they may have even led the league.  Those dropped passes only hurt one stat...his comp %...and it was a ton of dropped passes.  

His WR group was weak and did him no favors.  Lamar is a better passes than most think just because they look at a stat without seeing all the stats, or they jump to that conclusion just on assumption because he is a dual threat QB.

No he is inaccurate because he sails passes over WRs probably 4 times per game.