Scariest thing you've ever done?

boyst

12 hours ago, Gordio said:

Yeah we were 20 years old & drinking tequila shooters all day.  I don't think we had enough sense to look for a tow rope.  Let me ask you a question, what were the odds of me trying to swim back to shore & making it back alive in your expert opinion?  I did have a life jacket on.  I was probably about a mile out or so. 

I don't know... Most certainly best to stay with the vessel. A mile swim in shark waters is a haul.  Drunk, deadly, even with vest.  I am staying with the boat.  I did the mile swim in Scouts, it takes a little bit of time.  You were drunk, you may have been a goner, even with PFD... They'd just find you easier because your body would be floating. You cramp up, turn face down... Bye bye.  Most likely you weren't wearing a Type I, offshore vest (even Type II near shore), that will almost always (Type II most of time) turn you face up if you become unconscious.  You made a wise choice.  You go unconscious because of your drunkenness, you are a goner if that Type III vest (what you were most likely wearing) doesn't turn you face up.

Couldn't you have hopped on the water bike with one of your friends?

Betcha you all sobered up fast! ;)

3 hours ago, Greybeard said:

They have a variety of preps.   My last one was much less followed by a lot of water.  Worked just as well.   Don't have any idea why some doc's make you drink a gallon of that stuff and others don't.

The first time I had one, I drove my self so I was awake for the entire thing.  Very interesting.

They don't want a poopy scope.  Some Docs more anal retentive, excuse the pun. ;):D

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

6 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

I don't know... Most certainly best to stay with the vessel. A mile swim in shark waters is a haul.  Drunk, deadly, even with vest.  I am staying with the boat.  I did the mile swim in Scouts, it takes a little bit of time.  You were drunk, you may have been a goner, even with PFD... They'd just find you easier because your body would be floating. You cramp up, turn face down... Bye bye.  Most likely you weren't wearing a Type I, offshore vest (even Type II near shore), that will almost always (Type II most of time) turn you face up if you become unconscious.  You made a wise choice.  You go unconscious because of your drunkenness, you are a goner if that Type III vest (what you were most likely wearing) doesn't turn you face up.

Couldn't you have hopped on the water bike with one of your friends?

Betcha you all sobered up fast! ;)

They don't want a poopy scope.  Some Docs more anal retentive, excuse the pun. ;):D

Yeah we thought about that but we didn't want to leave the jet ski floating out in the water.  This was Mexico back in the 90's, & I have been to Cancun also for spring break.   Acupulco had different feel to it.   It wasn't the safest place like I felt Cancun was.  Hotel people warned us to be careful as the crooked cops would look for any little thing to arrest the American college kids hoping to extort money out of them so I pictured me getting arrested for stealing a jet ski or something like that.  I don't remember what kind of life jacket I had.  Young & stupid. 

20 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

I am going to say the scariest thing was being deployed in the Middle East and having scuds coming down in my location.   I was standing right next to a Patriot missle battery trying to shoot them down.

An experience

/EndThread

Thank you for your service. :thumbsup:

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Gordio said:

Yeah we thought about that but we didn't want to leave the jet ski floating out in the water.  This was Mexico back in the 90's, & I have been to Cancun also for spring break.   Acupulco had different feel to it.   It wasn't the safest place like I felt Cancun was.  Hotel people warned us to be careful as the crooked cops would look for any little thing to arrest the American college kids hoping to extort money out of them so I pictured me getting arrested for stealing a jet ski or something like that.  I don't remember what kind of life jacket I had.  Young & stupid. 

CAUTION: Public Service Announcement!

It was probably a Type III vest... 1990s the higher type hybrids were just starting to come out.  But only I and lesser extent II will face-up an unconscious, in this Mexico case, a passed out drunk!  Most activities, are Type III.  Action sports, etc... Like waterskiing, they fit with less restriction.  I guarantee it wasn't Type I... That's a "Mae West", kind what you you see in old war movies, the one's they wear hydroplane racing, etc...  See: Below.  Type II is:

10076552.jpg

Notice the collar around neck... That SHOULD turn an unconscious person face up out of the water.

If it doesn't have a collar, most likely a Type III... Or higher... IV, hydrids...

Being Mexico, I am surprised they allowed you to have OR gave you anything to begin with. ;)

Anyway... We all know our vests now! :DIf you ever put a small child in one, go Type I or Type II.  They make Type II that look like Type III... That neck ring, loop is a life saver... Just snatch them outta water.

mustang-lil-legends-100-child-nbsp-nbsp-

Again, II is near shore and will MOST of the time turn you face up.  Type I is off-shore and almost always right you face up.  Type III, mostly for conscious persons in the water, older than little children.

Type I:

A67K_1_20150304288131211.jpg

Now don't swim drunk, even with a PFD!  You might pass out and turn face down.  You only have a bunch of minutes to wake up! :D

1 minute ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Also: Teaching them to drive... Son wasn't so bad, he played video games!  Daughter... ¡Ay Caramba!

:lol:

I dread more talking her driving after school today!

Yeah that would be scary too!

Have you entered the daughter dating stage yet?

On March 23, 2018 at 9:00 PM, Misterbluesky said:

When I decided to leave the Marine Corps...I spent a little to much time with a fellow from Nevada...we tripped on peyote...I was attacked by a horse...but the horse was never there..so I heard.I woke to a penis in my face when I was in Lebanon..not sure which episode would rank higher on my list.

Were you in Lebanon on business or pleasure?

Changes the context of the story considerably.

Scariest thing I ever had to do is wait for a heartbeat.

When my wife was 3 months into her first pregnancy, she started bleeding a bit. We went to emergency room, and the first thing they did was look for the baby's heartbeat. They found it in no time, put my wife on bed rest for a while, but then she bled again. We went back to the hospital where they found the heartbeat pretty quickly, sent my wife home for more bed rest, but explained that we don't need to overly worry about the bleeding until she passes what they called the toe test: when she's bleeding to the extent that she can feel the blood between her toes.

Seven months in, she was bleeding to the extent that she was going to pass the toe test.

We raced  to the hospital, my wife still bleeding a bit in the car, as scared as we had ever been. They saw the blood and immediately rushed us to the back, and again, they went looking for the heartbeat, but found nothing this time. I leaned next to my wife, putting my right arm around her head and both of us holding left hands, and we could barely breath through the anxiety and tears.

The nurse kept moving the scope, saying "C'mon, now, I know you're there. C'mon now. Where are you?" You could feel the time slipping, and we just kept holding each other tightly until I was certain it was over, and suddenly the nurse stopped a second and calmly said "There you are. We found you. Thatta boy."

He turned 13 in November.

• Like (+1) 6

5 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

Were you in Lebanon on business or pleasure?

Changes the context of the story considerably.

He woke up with a dick in his face.  Obviously, he was there on pleasure!

5 minutes ago, LABillzFan said:

Scariest thing I ever had to do is wait for a heartbeat.

When my wife was 3 months into her first pregnancy, she started bleeding a bit. We went to emergency room, and the first thing they did was look for the baby's heartbeat. They found it in no time, put my wife on bed rest for a while, but then she bled again. We went back to the hospital where they found the heartbeat pretty quickly, sent my wife home for more bed rest, but explained that we don't need to overly worry about the bleeding until she passes what they called the toe test: when she's bleeding to the extent that she can feel the blood between her toes.

Seven months in, she was bleeding to the extent that she was going to pass the toe test.

We raced  to the hospital, my wife still bleeding a bit in the car, as scared as we had ever been. They saw the blood and immediately rushed us to the back, and again, they went looking for the heartbeat, but found nothing this time. I leaned next to my wife, putting my right arm around her head and both of us holding left hands, and we could barely breath through the anxiety and tears.

The nurse kept moving the scope, saying "C'mon, now, I know you're there. C'mon now. Where are you?" You could feel the time slipping, and we just kept holding each other tightly until I was certain it was over, and suddenly the nurse stopped a second and calmly said "There you are. We found you. Thatta boy."

He turned 13 in November.

That is !@#$ing heavy.  Glad everyone was/is okay.

On 3/24/2018 at 11:49 AM, ExiledInIllinois said:

Oh... Just remembered... You know what is scary:

Colonoscopy/Endoscopy

The good old ass-scope is worse!

Had both in 1994... But turning 50 this year has me on pins & needles.  It's not the Demerol, that's the joy ride...;) IT'S that humongous jug of "butt-sweep" you have to drink.  Last time I was at work...:lol: Thank God on midnights.  I was prepared to answer marine radio and end the call with a big flush... Hey, job related: "Call Water District, tell them we are opening super secret sluice gate #5..." :lol:

Had that last year.  Need to go back in 2020.  Pre-procedure, I asked the Doc what they were giving me?  He said Propofol.  I said isn't that what did in Michael Jackson?  He said, well yes it is!  The big difference here, is that you do not have a quack administering it.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

Had that last year.  Need to go back in 2020.  Pre-procedure, I asked the Doc what they were giving me?  He said Propofol.  I said isn't that what did in Michael Jackson?  He said, well yes it is!  The big difference here, is that you do not have a quack administering it.

The other big difference is that they will be administering it TO a quack... Me! :D

The most scared I’ve been in a while would be driving on the Thruway in a whiteout. What do you do? If you stop, you could get stuck, and you might get rammed from behind. If you keep going you could hit another car, or hit the guardrail, or go into a ditch. I was able to slowly keep going until I could see again, but the pucker factor was huge.

I’ve had a colonoscopy three times, and the prep has gotten easier.  More water and less awful jug of sludge.  The anesthesia has also gotten easier; with the Michal Jackson drug there isn’t much of a hangover.

I’ve also put a teen age daughter on a plane for a trip to France by herself.  I don’t want to think about that again.  That was an awful summer without her around and not really knowing how it was going for her.  That was before the internet was ubiquitous so we weren’t able to check in with her very often. 

January 2000, still living in Rochester. Wife and I had been to Mendon Ponds Park with our 10 months old son for some sledding. On the I-390 back to Rochester road conditions were not ideal, about an inch of snow/ice/slush. Traffic was, on average, perhaps a bit too fast for the conditions, but everything went smoothly... Until a state trooper who had been parked on the side of the road saw something that must have caught his attention (I do not know what). He turns on all his lights and accelerates toward the driving lanes. Panic ensues. A crash ahead of us on the lane left of us, another one right of us. I just stay on my lane and get through it safely.

In the end, I do not think that anybody was seriously injured. Even in case of a crash, we should have been relatively safe as I was driving my second "Yank Tank" (as the Aussies would call it), a Pontiac Safari full-size station wagon (the first had been an Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser).    

Edited by DrW