Bills sign QB AJ McCarron

5 minutes ago, #34fan said:

The guy was born to throw the f____ing football...   We need mofos that can get separation at WR.... What do you guys think about a trade for Amari Cooper?

I do not care how they are acquired. The Rec core needs to be solidified. some steady reliable guys. Hope Benjamin is healthy. Beyond that? Not sure 

BEANE ! BEANE ?

Get that running game back to where it once was or better as well.

Go Bills

10 hours ago, Teddy KGB said:

Goodwin got with QBs who pass footballs 

KB and Zay will be good.   Add another speedster and it’s on.  The anchor is gone 

AJ ain’t gonna go into a shell and cower from throwing 50/50 balls. 

AJ is a notoriously conservative QB, he was known as a game manager in Alabama and is his limited starts in Cincy he played pretty conservative. I don't know why people expect McCarron to be a gunslinger when that isn't his reputation at all? So unless this team drafts a rookie high and he comes in and performs light a stud I would expect conservative QB play to continue. 

.-ff4eab83f27b1ca9.jpg

AJ McCarron 'absolutely a starter' in the NFL, Nick Saban says

Posted Apr 11, 2017

Nick Saban has a 210-61-1 on-the-field record as a college football coach, good for a .774 winning percentage.

Take out the games in which AJ McCarron was Saban's starting quarterback, and the coach's career winning percentage dips to .752. While at Alabama, McCarron compiled a 36-4 record as the Crimson Tide's quarterback.

Alabama won the 2011 and 2012 BCS national championships with McCarron as its signal-caller.  Along the way, he became the Tide's career leader in passing yards, touchdown passes and total offense.

Saban appeared on SiriusXM NFL Radio on Tuesday and was asked about McCarron's pro career.

"I loved AJ," Saban said. "I always thought he did a great job. He's a football junkie. He really prepares for the game, understands the game well. He's got a confidence about him that some people might mistake for a little bit of cockiness, but when you get to know him, you know that's not the case.

I think, and I always thought, that I could not believe he did not get drafted higher than he got drafted relative to the success that he had here in terms of winning. If you just look at how much we won when he was the quarterback, how many championships we won and did it at an early age.

And every time he's had an opportunity to play with the Bengals, he's, to me, proven that he's absolutely a starter.

In the playoffs, McCarron rallied Cincinnati from a 15-0 deficit to a 16-15 lead over Pittsburgh with less than two minutes to play with three straight scoring drives in the fourth quarter. A fumble and a meltdown by the Bengals' defense kept Cincinnati from picking up its first postseason victory since 1990 as the Steelers came back for an 18-16 win.

an older article but words from Saban. he's definitely a competitor. a nd should be a good mentor to the rookie

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

AJ is a notoriously conservative QB, he was known as a game manager in Alabama and is his limited starts in Cincy he played pretty conservative. I don't know why people expect McCarron to be a gunslinger when that isn't his reputation at all? So unless this team drafts a rookie high and he comes in and performs light a stud I would expect conservative QB play to continue. 

On a college team full of NFL players, -what else do you need a QB to do? :blink:

I don't mind a game manager as long a s he manages to hit open WR's, and the team manages to win games as a result.

On 3/15/2018 at 9:48 AM, Mr. WEO said:

He must have made quite an impression on you 3 years ago.

You're Ralph Wilson to his Rob Johnson...

Never heard of him 3 years ago. I don't pay much attention to college football or the draft. I just looked at the film on him in the NFL. Don't you like pocket passers? I don't mind being called Ralph Wilson, but Rob Johnson sucked.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, #34fan said:

On a college team full of NFL players, -what else do you need a QB to do? :blink:

I don't mind a game manager as long a s he manages to hit open WR's, and the team manages to win games as a result.

My point was that his career in college and so far in the pros has been that of a risk-averse QB. Now there are some fans that think that McCarron is going to be this big time gunslinger which given the profile of McCarron isn't likely. Hell given the nature of McD as a coach (very conservative football turnover averse) I don't know why people's expectations of McCarron being anything different than a conservative game manager exist. I honestly think that a lot of the same complaints people had about Tyrod (never throws downfield checks down on third and long) will exist about McCarron.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

My point was that his career in college and so far in the pros has been that of a risk-averse QB. Now there are some fans that think that McCarron is going to be this big time gunslinger which given the profile of McCarron isn't likely. Hell given the nature of McD as a coach (very conservative football turnover averse) I don't know why people's expectations of McCarron being anything different than a conservative game manager exist. I honestly think that a lot of the same complaints people had about Tyrod (never throws downfield checks down on third and long) will exist about McCarron.

He's only started 3 NFL games... And it's part of backup's job to avert risks so you don't F___-up leads in big games...

He's always performed well at the job given to him.  There's no cause to doubt he'll keep on doing that.

Edited by #34fan

13 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

I got no problem with a him being conservative as long as he makes some plays when needed. That was Tyrods biggest weakness. 

We won’t know what we got until he’s on the field. He looked pretty solid in the short stint Dalton was out, made some big plays down the stretch in that playoff game and had them in position to win. He could be more refined now after extra time on the bench. 

• Like (+1) 2

29 minutes ago, BananaB said:

I got no problem with a him being conservative as long as he makes some plays when needed. That was Tyrods biggest weakness. 

We won’t know what we got until he’s on the field. He looked pretty solid in the short stint Dalton was out, made some big plays down the stretch in that playoff game and had them in position to win. He could be more refined now after extra time on the bench. 

Iirc he’s 2-1 as a starter.  

1 hour ago, Don Beebe said:

Never heard of him 3 years ago. I don't pay much attention to college football or the draft. I just looked at the film on him in the NFL. Don't you like pocket passers? I don't mind being called Ralph Wilson, but Rob Johnson sucked.

You never watched him in college, but you reviewed film of his handful of Bengals games from 3 years ago?

1 hour ago, #34fan said:

He's only started 3 NFL games... And it's part of backup's job to avert risks so you don't F___-up leads in big games...

He's always performed well at the job given to him.  There's no cause to doubt he'll keep on doing that.

I think the team can be successful with a game manager QB. Provided the defense fixes a couple of issues (2 new starting linebackers, a nickel CB, and possible issues with the pass rush if Hughes and Lorax get old and Shaq can't hack it.) And if the team doesn't trade up for a QB (If they take a QB at 12 they have 22, 53, 56, 65, and 96) there certainly exists plenty of draft capital to address various defensive and offensive issues. 

But I think that Tyrod at times was a game manager and people hated him for it. Complaints of general conservative play, checkdowns on 3rd and long, rushing attempts short of 1st downs on third down, and not "getting the ball downfield enough" will continue with McCaron. But this team did win with Tyrod who wasn't the most aggressive QB. Tyrod has a winning record the last three seasons not being the best QB but one that makes a few plays here or there and not turning the ball over. Of course a strong ground game and decent to good defense helps but there is no reason to think that the team can't have a decent defense again and Shady has 1 more good season. 

But I am more knocking the idea that McCarron will be this gunslinger or that because he isn't Tyrod all the QB issues go away. 

1 hour ago, billsfan89 said:

But I think that Tyrod at times was a game manager and people hated him for it. Complaints of general conservative play, checkdowns on 3rd and long, rushing attempts short of 1st downs on third down, and not "getting the ball downfield enough" will continue with McCaron. But this team did win with Tyrod who wasn't the most aggressive QB. Tyrod has a winning record the last three seasons not being the best QB but one that makes a few plays here or there and not turning the ball over. Of course a strong ground game and decent to good defense helps but there is no reason to think that the team can't have a decent defense again and Shady has 1 more good season. 

But I am more knocking the idea that McCarron will be this gunslinger or that because he isn't Tyrod all the QB issues go away. 

Whatever it is you think Tyrod brought to the game,  McBeane & co. were over it... It's why they benched him to check out the rookie. -And,  why the team

traded him without evenhaving a replacement....There's no way they even LOOK at McCarron if they think he represents more of the same...

Edited by #34fan

19 minutes ago, #34fan said:

Whatever it is you think Tyrod brought to the game,  McBeane & co. were over it... It's why they benched him to check out the rookie. -And,  why the team

traded him without evenhaving a replacement....There's no way they even LOOK at McCarron if they think he represents more of the same...

Tyrod wasn't functioning well in the pocket, the system that McD wants to implement is one where a QB functions as a pocket pass. I don't think McD viewed Tyrod's mobility as a negative but they weren't going to build a system around his best asset if Tyrod just wasn't able to work effectively in the pocket. But I think that just because McCarron will function better in the pocket doesn't mean that all of these issues at QB are fixed. 

I think that McD and Beane feel as though McCarron is a better fit for the system they plan to run. But just because a QB might be a better fit to run the offensive scheme you plan to implement doesn't guarantee results. McCarron might work better out of the pocket but he likely isn't going to generate the same plays with his legs and who knows how aggressive the offense will be? McD is a conservative coach, in general, why wouldn't his offense be risk averse? 

5 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

You never watched him in college, but you reviewed film of his handful of Bengals games from 3 years ago?

Why do you find that hard to believe? , I will explain you are probably a man who studies football all year long and searches everywhere looking for players who would help the Bills. I am not. I am only interested in players on the Bills roster until they signed him I had no interest in him at all. I told you I don't watch college ball I don't think that what they did in college matters that much. I have seen to many college stars come to the NFL and suck. I am interested in the Bills when they play but I don't worry about them all year long. If I see they have picked up someone I check them out. From what I saw he is a pocket passer.

Edited by Don Beebe

1 hour ago, billsfan89 said:

Tyrod wasn't functioning well in the pocket, the system that McD wants to implement is one where a QB functions as a pocket pass. I don't think McD viewed Tyrod's mobility as a negative but they weren't going to build a system around his best asset if Tyrod just wasn't able to work effectively in the pocket. But I think that just because McCarron will function better in the pocket doesn't mean that all of these issues at QB are fixed. 

I think that McD and Beane feel as though McCarron is a better fit for the system they plan to run. But just because a QB might be a better fit to run the offensive scheme you plan to implement doesn't guarantee results. McCarron might work better out of the pocket but he likely isn't going to generate the same plays with his legs and who knows how aggressive the offense will be? McD is a conservative coach, in general, why wouldn't his offense be risk averse? 

It's McD's first HC gig... We really don't know what "type" of coach he is yet... -Not when it comes to offense... 

He's probably still trying to figure that out... The fact that he'd been trying to move on from Tyrod  since week 11 of last season, suggests

that he, at least, knows what he DOESN'T want...  If you're calling TT a "game manager", then McBeane seems to be looking for something more.

• Like (+1) 2

Game manager is a bit subjective for me.

One of the best game managers over the past 6 years has been Russell Wilson. If a guy is a game manager there will be a point where he has to step up and win the game. The quarter back needs to be able to lead a team down the field for a TD when that’s what is called for. 

Edited by atlbillsfan1975
  • Thank you (+1) 1