Flutie To Be Released!!!

After reading some of the posts after the release of Flutie, I am really amazed at how much people don't like that guy. How soon people forget that he came in a time when there was talk of the Bills maybe moving. He came off the bench and saved the season. The Bills made the playoffs and alas we never had to potentially heard of the LA Bills. There aren't too many QBs who have gotten a rawer deal that Flutie. Think about it: he was coming off a pro bowl season, possibly saved the Bills, light up a Dolphins secondary that was considered one of the best in league and had the team in a position to win or tie (don't remember offhand) til our hall of fame wr makes a bonehead play. So he comes back again the next year, leads the team to the playoffs again, sits out a meaningless regular season game, RJ shines, and Flutie is told he would be benched. Are you kidding me??? That may have been the single biggest insult to a player in NFL History. I hated the Bills at the point. And in my opinion, as much as it hurts to say, the lateral was poetic justice. You wouldn't complain about seating behind RJ after all that? Freakin' RJ!!! He wanted to play and knew he was behind a guy who didn't give two craps about this team or city. And ofr hte record head to head, Flutie 1, RJ 0. Come on now. Flutie never got a fair shot because of his size (and by the way I'm 6'1" and I'm not canadian, so I'm not biased). If JP has a season like Flutie had in 1998, we all would be doing back flips. People are too blinded by size and arm strength. Me personally, I like winners. Flutie has been a winner at every level. I believe the guy has a 58 -60% winning percentage in the NFL. And trust me, I'm the biggest Bills fan there is and I want them to finally win the Super Bowl. But karma is a serious thing and I believe the curse of Flutie may be upon us. So hopefully if we give the guy the proper respect for what he did for this team, perhaps we can lift this thing and make the playoffs. Sorry for the vent but I need to get that off my chest. :blush::D

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After reading some of the posts after the release of Flutie, I am really amazed at how much people don't like that guy.  How soon people forget that he came in a time when there was talk of the Bills maybe moving.  He came off the bench and saved the season.  The Bills made the playoffs and alas we never had to potentially heard of the LA Bills.  There aren't too many QBs who have gotten a rawer deal that Flutie.  Think about it:  he was coming off a pro bowl season, possibly saved the Bills, light up a Dolphins secondary that was considered one of the best in league and had the team in a position to win or tie (don't remember offhand) til our hall of fame wr makes a bonehead play.  So he comes back again the next year, leads the team to the playoffs again, sits out a meaningless regular season game, RJ shines, and Flutie is told he would be benched.  Are you kidding me???  That may have been the single biggest insult to a player in NFL History.  I hated the Bills at the point.  And in my opinion, as much as it hurts to say, the lateral was poetic justice.  You wouldn't complain about seating behind RJ after all that?  Freakin' RJ!!!  He wanted to play and knew he was behind a guy who didn't give two craps about this team or city.  And ofr hte record head to head, Flutie 1, RJ 0.  Come on now.  Flutie never got a fair shot because of his size (and by the way I'm 6'1" and I'm not canadian, so I'm not biased).  If JP has a season like Flutie had in 1998, we all would be doing back flips.  People are too blinded by size and arm strength.  Me personally, I like winners. Flutie has been a winner at every level.  I believe the guy has a 58 -60% winning percentage in the NFL.  And trust me, I'm the biggest Bills fan there is and I want them to finally win the Super Bowl.  But karma is a serious thing and I believe the curse of Flutie may be upon us.  So hopefully if we give the guy the proper respect for what he did for this team, perhaps we can lift this thing and make the playoffs.  Sorry for the vent but I need to get that off my chest.   :blush:  :D

272501[/snapback]

The main reason Flutie was so hated was because we had a great defense-one that was responsible for most of our wins-yet week after week in the national media, all you heard about was Flutie. Many fans of the team, not just Flutie, started getting PO'd that the team became Flutie in the media.

Additionally, since the reality is that the defense saved the team on the field, not Flutie, fans like me would go friggin nuts every time we heard "He saved the franchise". The real guy who saved the franchise was Erkie Kailbourne, who rallied the business community to buy the club seats & boxes.

Without the defense, Flutie would have lost most of the games he played in because, with the exception of 1998, the Flutie led offense put too few points on the board. In 1999, the team made the playoffs in spite of Flutie, not because of him-The result was very similar to our win strak this year with Drew Bledsoe at QB.

In retrospect, nobody can deny that Flutie was the better player over Rob Johnson. Heck, AVP proved to be better than RJ, but that didn't mean we were set at QB with AVP. Flutie was better than Johnson, but once again, with the exception of 1998, both were below average NFL quarterbacks.

Another aspect was that we cut Bruce, Thurman & Andre for cap relief within 1 year that Flutie got a huge raise. Here was a guy with the team two years who got rewarded while guys who got us to the Super Bowl were thrown to the curb after over a decade each of service to the Bills.

Chargers | To Cut Flutie - from www.KFFL.com

Fri, 11 Mar 2005 11:08:41 -0800

Jay Glazer, of FOXSports.com, reports the San Diego Chargers have told QB Doug Flutie he will be released.

Git 'er done, TD!! <_<

271375[/snapback]

Flutie has expressed interest in Tampa Bay according to Kffl. Backing up Brian Griese?

The NFL network said that New England, Carolina, Indy, and Seattle could all be interested.

I think Denver could also make a move here. I'd welcome that. Because if Plummer can't get it together all the time, Flutie could play some spot duty.

After reading some of the posts after the release of Flutie, I am really amazed at how much people don't like that guy.  How soon people forget that he came in a time when there was talk of the Bills maybe moving.  He came off the bench and saved the season.  The Bills made the playoffs and alas we never had to potentially heard of the LA Bills.  There aren't too many QBs who have gotten a rawer deal that Flutie.  Think about it:  he was coming off a pro bowl season, possibly saved the Bills, light up a Dolphins secondary that was considered one of the best in league and had the team in a position to win or tie (don't remember offhand) til our hall of fame wr makes a bonehead play.  So he comes back again the next year, leads the team to the playoffs again, sits out a meaningless regular season game, RJ shines, and Flutie is told he would be benched.  Are you kidding me???  That may have been the single biggest insult to a player in NFL History.  I hated the Bills at the point.  And in my opinion, as much as it hurts to say, the lateral was poetic justice.  You wouldn't complain about seating behind RJ after all that?  Freakin' RJ!!!  He wanted to play and knew he was behind a guy who didn't give two craps about this team or city.  And ofr hte record head to head, Flutie 1, RJ 0.  Come on now.  Flutie never got a fair shot because of his size (and by the way I'm 6'1" and I'm not canadian, so I'm not biased).  If JP has a season like Flutie had in 1998, we all would be doing back flips.  People are too blinded by size and arm strength.  Me personally, I like winners. Flutie has been a winner at every level.  I believe the guy has a 58 -60% winning percentage in the NFL.  And trust me, I'm the biggest Bills fan there is and I want them to finally win the Super Bowl.  But karma is a serious thing and I believe the curse of Flutie may be upon us.  So hopefully if we give the guy the proper respect for what he did for this team, perhaps we can lift this thing and make the playoffs.  Sorry for the vent but I need to get that off my chest.  0:)  :P

272501[/snapback]

Thanks C. Biscuit...and to all the others above who made positive comments...instead of moronic ones.

After reading some of the posts after the release of Flutie, I am really amazed at how much people don't like that guy.  How soon people forget that he came in a time when there was talk of the Bills maybe moving.  He came off the bench and saved the season.  The Bills made the playoffs and alas we never had to potentially heard of the LA Bills.  There aren't too many QBs who have gotten a rawer deal that Flutie.  Think about it:  he was coming off a pro bowl season, possibly saved the Bills, light up a Dolphins secondary that was considered one of the best in league and had the team in a position to win or tie (don't remember offhand) til our hall of fame wr makes a bonehead play.  So he comes back again the next year, leads the team to the playoffs again, sits out a meaningless regular season game, RJ shines, and Flutie is told he would be benched.  Are you kidding me???  That may have been the single biggest insult to a player in NFL History.  I hated the Bills at the point.  And in my opinion, as much as it hurts to say, the lateral was poetic justice.  You wouldn't complain about seating behind RJ after all that?  Freakin' RJ!!!  He wanted to play and knew he was behind a guy who didn't give two craps about this team or city.  And ofr hte record head to head, Flutie 1, RJ 0.  Come on now.  Flutie never got a fair shot because of his size (and by the way I'm 6'1" and I'm not canadian, so I'm not biased).  If JP has a season like Flutie had in 1998, we all would be doing back flips.  People are too blinded by size and arm strength.  Me personally, I like winners. Flutie has been a winner at every level.  I believe the guy has a 58 -60% winning percentage in the NFL.  And trust me, I'm the biggest Bills fan there is and I want them to finally win the Super Bowl.  But karma is a serious thing and I believe the curse of Flutie may be upon us.  So hopefully if we give the guy the proper respect for what he did for this team, perhaps we can lift this thing and make the playoffs.  Sorry for the vent but I need to get that off my chest.   0:)  :P

272501[/snapback]

and how soon people forget how well RJ was playing prior to Flutie replaced him. As RJ threw for 231 yards and 3 TDs against the Rams in Week 3 yet the Bills lost because of a defensive collapse late in the game. Then he helped us defeat the 49ers passing for 254 yards and 1 TD. Flutie came in the next week and "saved the season". Stats courtesy of Mr Sports.com

Flutie,Chargers say farewell

If Flutie does return to the field, New England appears to be his only option. He grew up in Natick, Mass., is an icon at Boston College, and remains friends with Patriots coach Bill Belichick. Early last season, when his name was linked with the Patriots in talks, Flutie said he had no interest in playing for a team other than the Chargers, then added that the Patriots "would be the only exception."

I have just finished reading the thread entitled: "Flutie to be released".

Thanks to C.Biscuit97 and all those who made positive, intelligent comments...not moronic ones.

One of the main reasons that I seldom post on this board or visit it anymore is because I got tired of wading through the all the crap (5 pages in the topic mentioned above) just to find a little bit of good reading.

I honestly have never been able to understand why so many members of the Buffalo media and fans of this board have insisted that Doug Flutie was "a cancer in the locker room" (despite positive comments from guys who were part of the team...on offense...like Eric Moulds, Steve Christie, and Ruben Brown, to name a few. Some Bills fans have even insisted that Flutie ripped apart every locker room he was ever a part of...which is just part of the absolute B***S**T that some insist on propagating on this board. Such posters have no credibility...and are just a waste of everyone's time.)

Would John Butler and A.J. Smith have welcomed Doug Flutie to San Diego if it were true that he was a cancer?

Now I think the conjecture over this can OBJECTIVELY be put to rest as we have some definitive statements from A.J. Smith and Marty Schottenheimer about their evaluation of Doug's value as a team player, as included on the web sites listed below.

Please notice that A.J. includes the words "...in Buffalo" in his assessment.

http://www.chargers.com/news/headline_deta...m?news_key=2107

http://www.chargers.com/news/pr_headline_d...release_key=460

And, Doug has accepted his release in a very classy way.

http://www.chargers.com/news/pr_headline_d...release_key=462

I have always said that Doug is one of the most competitive players that I have ever seen...and it was great to have my observations affirmed by people as close to the scene and as knowledgeable as A. J. Smith and Marty Schottenheimer. Also, notice Marty's comment: "It was a pleasure to work with him."

I am glad that Flutie was picked up by the Chargers after being stupidly released by the Bills.

It gave me a chance to meet a lot of great and knowledgeable Chargers football fans on the Internet that I probably would never have met.

It also gave me a chance to watch a down-and-out Chargers team be transformed by new management into an exciting young team with a lot of upside for the future...KUDOS to A.J Smith...even though I was also disappointed by the departure of Jr. Seau and Rodney Harrison.

Through this process, I have become a H-U-G-E fan of Ladainian Tomlinson and will continue to watch Charger games at every opportunity on the NFL Sunday Ticket.

Thanks to all the Chargers fans, on the Internet, who have mentioned Doug's good influence in the locker room. Flutie was dealt a rotten hand by owner Ralph Wilson in Buffalo after Doug gave the Bills such a huge boost in his first 2 years here. The cancer in the Bills locker room was NOT Doug Flutie.

All the best to Doug Flutie. If he lands with the Patriots, as is being rumored, then good for him...and me...I'll get to see him again in person in Buffalo next season...you can bet the Flutie fans will be there by the thousands!

I will definitely be at the ceremonies when Doug is inducted into the Canadian Football Hall of Fame. I'll be the one wearing the Chargers #7 jersey...my son

will be wearing the Boston College #22 jersey.

I have met Doug Flutie in person in a very public setting surrounded by many other fans and he was extremely kind, appreciative, and accommodating in our requests for autographs.

AND HERE IS JUST ONE OF THE MANY OBSERVATIONS POSTED BY CHARGERS FANS:

When we first got Flutie, I didn't have a good feeling about it. It was the whole Rob Johnson vs Doug Flutie hype that kind of got me going. But now, seeing Flutie with this team of ours, I believe it was Rob Johnson who was the problem, the Bills cut the wrong player.

Flutie was and is a team player and it showed here. I wish him well wherever he goes, he brings excitement every time he steps on the field, the guy is a player

and is in unreal shape for a man of his age.

Even when he retires, I don't think he will be done with the game. He seemed like he would make a good coach by the way he was always talking to Brees and

Rivers on the sideline. It looked like he was always trying to help the guy that had the job that he wanted to have.

Good luck Little Dougie, wherever you end up playing or coaching. 0:)

I don't get wound up over it, but there was a perception during the whole Flutie Johnson debacle that when Flutie was not starting he was doing nothing to try and support/mentor Rob Johnson, that in essence he said to those who would listen that he should be starting. That's all there is to it. I don't know how much was perceived on top of that, and I certainly can't verify that it was true.

I have just finished reading the thread entitled: "Flutie to be released".

Thanks to C.Biscuit97 and all those who made positive, intelligent comments...not moronic ones.

One of the main reasons that I seldom post on this board or visit it anymore is because I got tired of wading through the all the crap (5 pages in the topic mentioned above) just to find a little bit of good reading.

I honestly have never been able to understand why so many members of the Buffalo media and fans of this board have insisted that Doug Flutie was "a cancer in the locker room" (despite positive comments from guys who were part of the team...on offense...like Eric Moulds, Steve Christie, and Ruben Brown, to name a few. Some Bills fans have even insisted that Flutie ripped apart every locker room he was ever a part of...which is just part of the absolute B***S**T that some insist on propagating on this board. Such posters have no credibility...and are just a waste of everyone's time.)

Would John Butler and A.J. Smith have welcomed Doug Flutie to San Diego if it were true that he was a cancer?

Now I think the conjecture over this can OBJECTIVELY be put to rest as we have some definitive statements from A.J. Smith and Marty Schottenheimer about their  evaluation of Doug's value as a team player, as included on the web sites listed below.

Please notice that A.J. includes the words "...in Buffalo" in his assessment.

http://www.chargers.com/news/headline_deta...m?news_key=2107

http://www.chargers.com/news/pr_headline_d...release_key=460

And, Doug has accepted his release in a very classy way.

http://www.chargers.com/news/pr_headline_d...release_key=462

I have always said that Doug is one of the most competitive players that I have ever seen...and it was great to have my observations affirmed by people as close to the scene and as knowledgeable as A. J. Smith and Marty Schottenheimer. Also, notice Marty's comment: "It was a pleasure to work with him."

I am glad that Flutie was picked up by the Chargers after being stupidly released by the Bills.

It gave me a chance to meet a lot of great and knowledgeable Chargers football fans on the Internet that I probably would never have met.

It also gave me a chance to watch a down-and-out Chargers team be transformed by new management into an exciting young team with a lot of upside for the future...KUDOS to A.J Smith...even though I was also disappointed by the departure of Jr. Seau and Rodney Harrison.

Through this process, I have become a H-U-G-E fan of Ladainian Tomlinson and will continue to watch Charger games at every opportunity on the NFL Sunday Ticket.

Thanks to all the Chargers fans, on the Internet, who have mentioned Doug's good influence in the locker room. Flutie was dealt a rotten hand by owner Ralph Wilson in Buffalo after Doug gave the Bills such a huge boost in his first 2 years here. The cancer in the Bills locker room was NOT Doug Flutie.

All the best to Doug Flutie. If he lands with the Patriots, as is being rumored, then good for him...and me...I'll get to see him again in person in Buffalo next season...you can bet the Flutie fans will be there by the thousands!

I will definitely be at the ceremonies when Doug is inducted into the Canadian Football Hall of Fame. I'll be the one wearing the Chargers #7 jersey...my son

will be wearing the Boston College #22 jersey.

I have met Doug Flutie in person in a very public setting surrounded by many other fans and he was extremely kind, appreciative, and accommodating in our requests for autographs.

AND HERE IS JUST ONE OF THE MANY OBSERVATIONS POSTED BY CHARGERS FANS:

When we first got Flutie, I didn't have a good feeling about it. It was the whole Rob Johnson vs Doug Flutie hype that kind of got me going. But now, seeing Flutie with this team of ours, I believe it was Rob Johnson who was the problem, the Bills cut the wrong player.

Flutie was and is a team player and it showed here. I wish him well wherever he goes, he brings excitement every time he steps on the field, the guy is a player

and is in unreal shape for a man of his age.

Even when he retires, I don't think he will be done with the game. He seemed like he would make a good coach by the way he was always talking to Brees and

Rivers on the sideline. It looked like he was always trying to help the guy that had the job that he wanted to have.

Good luck Little Dougie, wherever you end up playing or coaching. 0:)

273182[/snapback]

You can try to revise it all you want, Flutie played excellent football in 1998, and Rob Johnson took his demotion like a man, even when Flutie was wasting the best defense in football with his often terrible play in 1999.

In the Bills toughest game of that year, Johnson put the Bills in position to win a playoff game on the road, a position he was put in because Flutie had QB'd the team poorly in several stunning losses against inferior opponents that season.

But being the prick that he is, he somehow found the gall to publicly blame the loss on Johnson. It's hard to quantify how ridiculous that was. Twelve months earlier Flutie had turned the ball over 5 times and fumbled the game away at the goal line in an inexcusable playoff loss to a mediocre Miami team. But as little sense as his self-promotion made, it turned the whole QB situation into an absolute firestorm that tore apart the fan base and split the lockerroom in half and ended up sweeping Wade Phillips and much of the success and continuity the franchise had developed right out the door.

I like to watch Flutie play, but anybody who doesn't see what a weasel he was, and the damage he wrought to the Bills(after being hailed as the salvation of the franchise) is completely blind to the facts.

In the interest of full disclosure, I was a fervent Flute hater, but you must also make such distinctions for your sources:

AJ Smith basicly built his career on the Flutie signing. It is what gave him notoriety, and was eventually a large part of what got him the the SD GM job. AJ has a dog in this hunt, wereas I have simply been able to forget.....unlike some here....