When picking a QB guys like Polian look at the following: 

Leadership

Health

Love of the game

Student of the game 

Can make all the throws in the route tree

Floor versus ceiling

Chemistry with Coach

I have my opinions from what the rumors are and everything I have read about his system, but... What I can't seem to find is in regard to Brian Daboll's offensive philosophy is which draft pick would be the best fit? I think it is Darnold or Rosen. If it is Allen, then we will spend on a free agent this week. If it is Mayfield, then we trade to slot #4.

The system looks like a run first philosophy with 5-15 yard throws using and an occasional bomb. Rosen is proven, Allen killed it at the combine and Darnold is pretty good. If Mayfield was 3 inches taller I would take him #1.

Top 3

Darnold seems quiet for a leader and threw a lot of picks, but is an escape artist. Probably a lock to be in the league for a decade.

Rosen may be breakable and for such a smooth accurate passer it wobbles like a Manning. Best floor, but needs protection.

Josh Allen will take sometime to grow into a passer and may have accuracy issues, but has a huge ceiling along with the risk. This guy is huge and athletic.

Next Best

Mayfield is the best leader and reeks of attitude for a smurf. His accuracy and arm is better than I thought. The dude just wins. 

Rosen, Darnold and Mayfield. 

The Erhardt-Perkins Offense is predicated on being smart, quick diagnosis, ball placement and presnap reads. 

Think NE offense 

The backbone of the Erhardt-Perkins system is that plays — pass plays in particular — are not organized by a route tree or by calling a single receiver’s route, but by what coaches refer to as “concepts.” Each play has a name, and that name conjures up an image for both the quarterback and the other players on offense. And, most importantly, the concept can be called from almost any formation or set. Who does what changes, but the theory and tactics driving the play do not. “In essence, you’re running the same play,” said Perkins. “You’re just giving them some window-dressing to make it look different.”

The biggest advantage of the concept-based system is that it operates from the perspective of the most critical player on offense: the quarterback.

http://grantland.com/features/how-terminology-erhardt-perkins-system-helped-maintain-dominance-tom-brady-patriots/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bigblueview.com/platform/amp/2016/7/15/12188564/summer-school-erhardt-perkins-offense-belichick-weis-parcells-brady-patriots

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BBillsWestCoast said:

When picking a QB guys like Polian look at the following: 

Leadership

Health

Love of the game

Student of the game 

Can make all the throws in the route tree

Floor versus ceiling

Chemistry with Coach

I have my opinions from what the rumors are and everything I have read about his system, but... What I can't seem to find is in regard to Brian Daboll's offensive philosophy is which draft pick would be the best fit? I think it is Darnold or Rosen. If it is Allen, then we will spend on a free agent this week. If it is Mayfield, then we trade to slot #4.

The system looks like a run first philosophy with 5-15 yard throws using and an occasional bomb. Rosen is proven, Allen killed it at the combine and Darnold is pretty good. If Mayfield was 3 inches taller I would take him #1.

Top 3

Darnold seems quiet for a leader and threw a lot of picks, but is an escape artist. Probably a lock to be in the league for a decade.

Rosen may be breakable and for such a smooth accurate passer it wobbles like a Manning. Best floor, but needs protection.

Josh Allen will take sometime to grow into a passer and may have accuracy issues, but has a huge ceiling along with the risk. This guy is huge and athletic.

Next Best

Mayfield is the best leader and reeks of attitude for a smurf. His accuracy and arm is better than I thought. The dude just wins. 

Darnold averaged one pick per game in a high scoring offense. The majority of those picks happened early in the season, before he and his receivers settled in. More worrisome is his fumbling but he's the best prospect in years.

Edited by yungmack
  • Like (+1) 1

Fact is we have no system yet.  McD simply blew it with his '17 system and who he hired to develop and implement it and his OC firing puts us at square 1.  McD and the gang also totally mismanaged the player development of Peterman so the O is actually below square 1.

Daboli is a reasonable hire but should not be mistaken for a slam dunk.  The system is run when you can/pass when you have to and most of all be productive with the players you got.

6 minutes ago, KingRex said:

Fact is we have no system yet.  McD simply blew it with his '17 system and who he hired to develop and implement it and his OC firing puts us at square 1.  McD and the gang also totally mismanaged the player development of Peterman so the O is actually below square 1.

Daboli is a reasonable hire but should not be mistaken for a slam dunk.  The system is run when you can/pass when you have to and most of all be productive with the players you got.

The system is an Erhardt-Perkins Offense based system

6 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

The Erhardt-Perkins Offense is predicated on being smart, quick diagnosis, ball placement and presnap reads. 

Think NE offense 

The backbone of the Erhardt-Perkins system is that plays — pass plays in particular — are not organized by a route tree or by calling a single receiver’s route, but by what coaches refer to as “concepts.” Each play has a name, and that name conjures up an image for both the quarterback and the other players on offense. And, most importantly, the concept can be called from almost any formation or set. Who does what changes, but the theory and tactics driving the play do not. “In essence, you’re running the same play,” said Perkins. “You’re just giving them some window-dressing to make it look different.”

The biggest advantage of the concept-based system is that it operates from the perspective of the most critical player on offense: the quarterback.

http://grantland.com/features/how-terminology-erhardt-perkins-system-helped-maintain-dominance-tom-brady-patriots/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bigblueview.com/platform/amp/2016/7/15/12188564/summer-school-erhardt-perkins-offense-belichick-weis-parcells-brady-patriots

Why is everyone excluding Lamar Jackson?? Petrino's system was derived from Perkins-Erhardt

7 hours ago, KingRex said:

That was something I have been fearful of. We seem to have the defensive system down, but the offense is unknown and questionable. 

8 hours ago, yungmack said:

Darnold averaged one pick per game in a high scoring offense. The majority of those picks happened early in the season, before he and his receivers settled in. More worrisome is his fumbling but he's the best prospect in years.

very good to know!

10 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

Think NE offense 

Super informative! thank you. It seems QB friendly and I can't wait to cheat and use a ton of pick plays like the Pat's.