Bills moving up to 5?

1 minute ago, RochesterRob said:

I hope the guy running this site does not give up his day job..............................

We have determined he is certainly a part time insurance salesman. :) 

Just now, Augie said:

I get a kick out of the people who are so “sure” of anything in the draft. NOBODY knows, even the people who do it full time for millions of dollars. “I think” or “I’d bet” is about as far as anyone can reasonably go. I get that some people have strong opinions, but they are just that...opinions. And you might even be right! But you can’t be sure....

Agreed. I like reading Mock drafts though. No one gets them all right, but it makes the draft process very interesting. 

Reuter also has a mock where the Bills move up to #5. What makes this draft so interesting is the quarterbacks. Anything can really happen. 

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000917695/article/fourround-mock-draft-allen-goes-no-1-bills-cardinals-trade-up

46 minutes ago, bobobonators said:

Lets trade every first round pick for the next 10yrs to move up to #1. You cant get anymore “franchise” than the #1 overall pick right? A franchise QB. Franchise. The franchise. 

Except he said both first this year, and next year's, that's 3, not 10 first round picks.

Stop exaggerating.

2 minutes ago, Bendernaught said:

Agreed. I like reading Mock drafts though. No one gets them all right, but it makes the draft process very interesting. 

Reuter also has a mock where the Bills move up to #5. What makes this draft so interesting is the quarterbacks. Anything can really happen. 

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000917695/article/fourround-mock-draft-allen-goes-no-1-bills-cardinals-trade-up

Agreed! I love a good mock draft myself, maybe a little too much. 

6 minutes ago, USABuffaloFan said:

Buffalo gives up all 4 picks in first 2 rounds for 1st pick overall.

Buffalo selects drum roll please, Saquon Barkley

Buffalo then trades Saquon Barkley for Luck from Indy, Indy drafts Baker.

Based on other recent move  up's such as what the Eagles did a couple of years ago your proposition is insufficient for the first overall pick.

13 minutes ago, Awwufelloff said:

Get your franchise QB and everything else falls into place. At the very least you will be competitive each year. Whoever is against moving up in the draft for a franchise QB doesn't understand how the NFL works. There are always top notch players in FA that you can get to fill out a team if you have the cap. When does a top 10 QB hit the FA market during their prime? NEVER! Go up and get the guy, don't care what it takes. Give me a Brady, Big Ben, Wentz, Goff, Luck (injuries derailed him), Ryan, Manning, Newton, Brees, Rodgers, Wilson, Rivers. I'll take my luck with one of these guys at QB with nobodies surrounding them. Once we get that guy we have 15 years of draft picks/trades/FA to fill out our line-up. QB is the only position in the NFL in which you can only get the top guys in the draft. We got a top 5 RB from a trade, you think we could do the same for a top 5 QB? 

I don't think you understand how this works. Usually only 1 QB pans out in the 1st round taken, all others are career backups or more often out of the league. 2004 and 1986 are the exceptions. There are a few years 2 guys make it but that is very rare too. So how are you sure your landing your franchise QB, just by selecting high 1st rounders. Aaron Rodgers and Roethlisberger were selected after the 10 spot with many QB's taken before hand. How do you know jackson isn't the next Cam Neely? or Rudolph the next Wilson? Your philosophy is why Cleveland sucks! You couldn't be more wrong!!!!!

12 minutes ago, TheTruthHurts said:

You have to believe in the QB. In reality what are you risking? A pro bowl quality DT, OL, or LB? None them are winning you a championship. 

Explain Eagles this year, than  Giants who beat Brady with Defense twice. You don't get to Superbowl without defense and win. By the way Brady is a 6th round pick. Wilson was a 3rd round pick. Aaron Rodgers 17th pick, Ben R was 11th pick. Drew Brees was selected 32nd overall. Brett Favre was selected 33 overall. That is allot of Superbowls won by QB's not in the Top 5 picks. I seem to remember Ray Lewis winning Baltimore a Superbowl, how about Reggie White, Mike Singletary, Mike Strahan, Lawrence Taylor. Could be argued Bruce Smith was more important than Jim Kelly. How do you explain Giants beating Bills in Superbowl XXV with a backup QB. Sorry, no guarantee you draft a Franchise QB by moving up in draft. Just as possible getting one later in draft. What remains consistent is you need quality players throughout your team. Payton learned that so did Elway, Favre and Rodgers.

1 hour ago, Bendernaught said:

This is an interesting mock.

Is Baker Mayfield worth 21, 22 and a first in 2019?

Post NFL Scouting Combine Mock

I dont like the idea of next years first being part of a trade up.  That pick could end up being quite high if they start a rookie QB.  Also, if the rookie plays really bad you could use that high pick on another QB.I would rather opt for a 2 this year and next year and 21,22.  Also consider player compensation if possible.  

13 minutes ago, USABuffaloFan said:

Explain Eagles this year, than  Giants who beat Brady with Defense twice. You don't get to Superbowl without defense and win. By the way Brady is a 6th round pick. Wilson was a 3rd round pick. Aaron Rodgers 17th pick, Ben R was 11th pick. Drew Brees was selected 32nd overall. Brett Favre was selected 33 overall. That is allot of Superbowls won by QB's not in the Top 5 picks. I seem to remember Ray Lewis winning Baltimore a Superbowl, how about Reggie White, Mike Singletary, Mike Strahan, Lawrence Taylor. Could be argued Bruce Smith was more important than Jim Kelly. How do you explain Giants beating Bills in Superbowl XXV with a backup QB. Sorry, no guarantee you draft a Franchise QB by moving up in draft. Just as possible getting one later in draft. What remains consistent is you need quality players throughout your team. Payton learned that so did Elway, Favre and Rodgers.

Explain the rare event? Why? If you don't have an elite QB you aren't expected to be a contender. 

You can throw out draft positions all you want, the answer is no one knows. You need to hit on QB. If you can hit on one without giving up a lot great. 

Edited by TheTruthHurts

2 minutes ago, mattynh said:

I dont like the idea of next years first being part of a trade up.  That pick could end up being quite high if they start a rookie QB.  Also, if the rookie plays really bad you could use that high pick on another QB.I would rather opt for a 2 this year and next year and 21,22.  Also consider player compensation if possible.  

Yeah. It is absolutely a risk. Toughest part is getting a chance to draft early enough to have a shot at a franchise quarterback. Most teams don't want to move down and the Colts might not even want to move that far back. I think there is a good mixture of responses in this thread that shows how interesting a trade like this would be. People thoughts are certainly diverse on the subject of moving up to draft a quarterback. 

1 hour ago, Boatdrinks said:

Couldn't disagree more. Barkley is the closest thing to a can't miss prospect in this entire draft. CLE has the draft capital to take Barkley first and move up to two or 3 IF they have a strong QB preference. I'd actually be surprised if they pick at 1 and 4, as 2 and 3 have already been put up for " sale". They really can have their proverbial cake here. 

Barkley will be a very good player, but he’s still just a RB, which means (a) the drop off between him and the next best option at the position is not great, and (b) his career will probably not last more than 6 years.  A great QB would still be winning games for the Browns for perhaps a decade after Saquon is retired.  The only way Barkley at 1 makes any sense is if the Browns truly don’t care which QB they end up with, which I find hard to believe.  And there is a very good chance they could pick their preferred QB at 1 AND get Barkley at 4.  

Edited by mannc

2 hours ago, OldTimer1960 said:

I like Mayfield, but would rather trade 21, 22, 53 and 65 and keep next year’s first - IF you are willing to go that high.

i would be pretty happy with Rudolph or Jackson near 21 or Mike White in round 2.  Now, they aren’t maybe as good of prospects as Mayfield, but they also cost a LOT less giving you an opportunity to recover if they don’t pan out.  How can you recover if you make that deal for Mayfield and he doesn’t pan out due to his height, off field problems or other reason?

That is why Mayfield won't go until the teens. Buffalo has to give up less then to move up to get him.

2 hours ago, bobobonators said:

Lets trade every first round pick for the next 10yrs to move up to #1. You cant get anymore “franchise” than the #1 overall pick right? A franchise QB. Franchise. The franchise. 

Because that's EXACTLY what people are saying.

:rolleyes:

Hell yes Mayfield is worth it.  I'm so tired of watching this team neglect the most important position in football sighting the same bull**** every time.  The "We have other positions of need" draft strategy is tired, old and hasn't worked worth a **** for us since Kelly retired.

1 hour ago, Boatdrinks said:

If only it were so easy... go down to the top 5 QB store and get yours! What exactly are the chances one of these draft picks is a top 5 NFL QB? After all, there are 5 top 5 NFL QBs and the draft is held every year. Do the Bills believe in a player enough to pay the cost to move into the top 5 picks or so? Donthey think there is a Wentz/ Luck type franchise changer in this draft? Most " experts" don't fwiw. 

Experts say this is the best QB class since the vaunted class of 1983, when six QB's were taken in round 1, five of them by the AFC East. Three went on to become Hall of Famers, and the other three were pretty good too.

Dan Marino

Jim Kelly

John Elway

Tony Eason

Todd Blackledge

Ken O'Brien

1 hour ago, USABuffaloFan said:

I don't think you understand how this works. Usually only 1 QB pans out in the 1st round taken, all others are career backups or more often out of the league. 2004 and 1986 are the exceptions. There are a few years 2 guys make it but that is very rare too. So how are you sure your landing your franchise QB, just by selecting high 1st rounders. Aaron Rodgers and Roethlisberger were selected after the 10 spot with many QB's taken before hand. How do you know jackson isn't the next Cam Neely? or Rudolph the next Wilson? Your philosophy is why Cleveland sucks! You couldn't be more wrong!!!!!

You mean 1983.

Also, are you from Boston??

Edited by mileena