Buffalo will go 3 ways with QB situation with these players in play

3 minutes ago, Zebrastripes said:

I agree he played a great game.  Do you think this game was the norm or the outlier for him in his career.

That game was not the norm.  Absolutely agree it was not the norm.  But, he is darn good!

42 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

One game doesnt make a Career does it???  Foles is no different than a Rob Johnson scenario let another team get fooled

Holy ****. Now I know that you really have no idea what you’re talking about. Do you have a personal grudge against Nick Foles? This is just getting weird now....

12 minutes ago, Manther said:

Sure, that is fair.  But, Foles was flawless and aggressive and making plays the ENTIRE game.  Foles was real good-----actually great!

...perhaps a dumb Foles question (but that would be ME)......he was on the precipice of retiring, assuming his career was not going how he hoped or anticipated....he ends up in Philly and goes from the abyss to the pinnacle, as in SB MVP......although I doubt Roseman trades his insurance policy with Wentz uncertainty, what happens IF Nick is traded to a team that wallows for a couple of non-playoff years?.....does he hang tough or lose interest, contemplating retirement again?...if your trade intentions are for a four year+ guy, there could be implications....but if your window is a two year bridge vet (my guess is that what McBeane wants as a mentor for his 1st round QB pick and Peterman) , structuring a deal that gets you out after 2 without major cap implications, it may not matter...

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

The OP isn't far off imo. 

We have a few a bunch of options and it'll be really interesting to see how things pan out. As far as i see it these are the tiers for the draft:

1) Rosen, Darnold and Mayfield all require a significant trade up. Problem with this is that there are a bunch of teams ahead of the Bills that are in dire need of a QB(Browns, Broncos, Dolphins, Cardinals, Jets). Safe to assume that you aren't trading up with those teams. Another consideration is that those teams all pick ahead of the Bills and will make it difficult for the Bills to move up. Its significantly easier to move up from 5-10th than it is to move up from 21-22. To move up all the way the Bills might need to move up twice. 

2) Lamar Jackson. He's probably going to be available at 21. I'm not sold on him as a long term QB but i must admit his potential is tantalizing to say the least. I wouldn't be disappointed if a trade up doesn't materialize and we ended up with Lamar. It wouldn't be an ideal scenario.

Josh Allen is a project that could use a year to sit and develop. He has potential that probably puts him in tier 1 but not enough production for my liking to be up there. Again wouldn't be disappointed as the potential is really high. 

3) Mason Rudolph is a good prospect that in my opinion has no business being taken until the end of the 2nd/early 3rd. He will need time to develop. 

Getting into the top tier is the most exciting avenue but also the least likely. It'll take a bunch of variables to break our way for that to happen. I would love to see Beane make a bold move and push all-in on a top tier QB prospect. 

31 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Wait, are you saying that the crazy ideas are trading up in the draft? I think that that's probably the most likely at this point.

I think Rosen, Darnold or Mayfield are quite likely going to be drafted by us and we're going to get a cheap Josh McCown or Derek Anderson in FA.

Luck is a longshot, but he's choice #1 for me. 

Luck if healthy is my choice but a long shot. 

Giving up everything for one of these QB's available is nuts. Not one of them holds stock like a Luck, Rivers or even Eli. Just don't give up all these picks when there are viable options. Should have done this last year and taken Mahorn if that desperate to give up this pick for a QB. 

32 minutes ago, USABuffaloFan said:

Manning had 2 big throwing years in Denver, last year he was wore out.

Foles had 4 TD's(one for a catch) and a MVP for the Superbowl, I would say he out played Tom Brady. 

If Foles was a Franchise QB coming off a Superbowl you could not get him so my points stand. Also Foles has produced good stats before even with the Eagles before and then was traded. Getting a starting QB in this league in the Superbowl that won costs something, a 1st and 4th is the starting point. I bet he could be had for a 2nd, 3rd and 6 or 7th. Bills could then draft Baker or Jackson and have Peterson. I think that makes Buffalo have the best chance of finding a QB to lead them while they still have McCoy.

It's been a mixed bag for Foles which is why he contemplated retirement.  He did great in Chip Kelly's offense, but started to struggle his 2nd year before getting hurt.  Sanchez posted similar numbers that same year in Kelly's offense.  Then he played awful for the Rams and was a backup in KC last year.  Then he pops up out of nowhere and plays lights out in the playoffs against a great defense in Minnesota and then a Belichick led defense in the Superbowl.  For the compensation we'd have to give up for Foles, I'd pass.  He's too inconsistent to give up a 1st rounder for.

All QB's are risks, but I'd rather sign Bradford to a one year prove it deal and move up to draft a quarterback assuming it's Rosen or Mayfield.

Edited by Doc Brown

"Why give up assets for a guy that is Not going to change your franchise around?  Go get a guy in free agency keep all your draft picks and trade up to try and land the quote on quote franchise guy."

I happen to think Foles can do better then Taylor and get us deeper when he gets to the playoffs, he has proven that last year. Bills hired OC with a hot hand winning a Championship. These things matter. Foles is cheap, reasonable contract that you can also draft a QB. 

You think there is a QB that is a Franchise QB draftable in the Top 4, I think there is not and even if there was we need the picks for a Center, DT, DE, middle linebacker and speed WR. You give up all that and Bills lose next year. What did you gain, your QB franchise player is years off of having a team he can succeed with. Our team gave away two top picks for us losing Watkins and Darieus, we need players.

9 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

It's been a mixed bag for Foles which is why he contemplated retirement.  He did great in Chip Kelly's offense, but started to struggle his 2nd year before getting hurt.  Sanchez posted similar numbers that same year in Kelly's offense.  Then he played awful for the Rams and was a backup in KC last year.  Then he pops up out of nowhere and plays lights out in the playoffs against a great defense in Minnesota and then a Belichick led defense in the Superbowl.  For the compensation we'd have to give up for Foles, I'd pass.

All QB's are risks, but I'd rather sign Bradford to a one year prove it deal and move up to draft a quarterback assuming it's Rosen or Mayfield.

Your using Sanchez as a reason not to go with Foles? Foles had Reich as a OC last year and won MVP of Superbowl. He beat Tom Brady solidly. He has had Good stat years. Your Ok with Bradford, no maybe Moore as a teacher. Give me a good reason why Buffalo should move up in draft. How this year, do they sign players they need in Free Agency with $35 mil in money with top dollar players needed, next year we will have the money. Get a starting QB for Bills this year, use picks to get players that help, THIS year. Otherwise your best trading everyone away and go get your "Franchise" QB. if Beane is wrong it will be 10 more years at least before we get to the playoffs. We are not IN position to move up and get a Top 4 pick without sacrificing the Bills future. 

36 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...perhaps a dumb Foles question (but that would be ME)......he was on the precipice of retiring, assuming his career was not going how he hoped or anticipated....he ends up in Philly and goes from the abyss to the pinnacle, as in SB MVP......although I doubt Roseman trades his insurance policy with Wentz uncertainty, what happens IF Nick is traded to a team that wallows for a couple of non-playoff years?.....does he hang tough or lose interest, contemplating retirement again?...if your trade intentions are for a four year+ guy, there could be implications....but if your window is a two year bridge vet (my guess is that what McBeane wants as a mentor for his 1st round QB pick and Peterman) , structuring a deal that gets you out after 2 without major cap implications, it may not matter...

Yeah Foles showed allot of quit going against NE and the best QB in history. 

I think if I'm the Bills now, here's what I'd do...

Trade 2019 1st and 2018 3rd (#96) to the Eagles for Foles. I've said in the past that I didnt want to trade next year's pick, but that was expecting a regression under a rookie QB starting. Foles is an upgrade over Taylor and should at least maintain where we were.

Then! I still package #21, #22, #53, and Glenn to move up as high as I can, and pick a QB. Whoever McBeane likes.

We still keep a 2nd and early 3rd this year. And, worst case scenario, surviving around Foles for a couple years, next year's 1st wont be as crucial.

34 minutes ago, Iamkrgr said:

The OP isn't far off imo. 

We have a few a bunch of options and it'll be really interesting to see how things pan out. As far as i see it these are the tiers for the draft:

1) Rosen, Darnold and Mayfield all require a significant trade up. Problem with this is that there are a bunch of teams ahead of the Bills that are in dire need of a QB(Browns, Broncos, Dolphins, Cardinals, Jets). Safe to assume that you aren't trading up with those teams. Another consideration is that those teams all pick ahead of the Bills and will make it difficult for the Bills to move up. Its significantly easier to move up from 5-10th than it is to move up from 21-22. To move up all the way the Bills might need to move up twice. 

2) Lamar Jackson. He's probably going to be available at 21. I'm not sold on him as a long term QB but i must admit his potential is tantalizing to say the least. I wouldn't be disappointed if a trade up doesn't materialize and we ended up with Lamar. It wouldn't be an ideal scenario.

Josh Allen is a project that could use a year to sit and develop. He has potential that probably puts him in tier 1 but not enough production for my liking to be up there. Again wouldn't be disappointed as the potential is really high. 

3) Mason Rudolph is a good prospect that in my opinion has no business being taken until the end of the 2nd/early 3rd. He will need time to develop. 

Getting into the top tier is the most exciting avenue but also the least likely. It'll take a bunch of variables to break our way for that to happen. I would love to see Beane make a bold move and push all-in on a top tier QB prospect. 

Finally someone posting something that makes sense and reasonable thought. It is not reasonable to think Bills can go from 21st pick to top 4 without giving up everything. Ditka did this for a RB, how did that work out. Unless you have a finished team and need only one player to go to the Super Bowl you never do this. Enjoyed your Post!

5 minutes ago, USABuffaloFan said:

Your using Sanchez as a reason not to go with Foles? Foles had Reich as a OC last year and won MVP of Superbowl. He beat Tom Brady solidly. He has had Good stat years. Your Ok with Bradford, no maybe Moore as a teacher. Give me a good reason why Buffalo should move up in draft. How this year, do they sign players they need in Free Agency with $35 mil in money with top dollar players needed, next year we will have the money. Get a starting QB for Bills this year, use picks to get players that help, THIS year. Otherwise your best trading everyone away and go get your "Franchise" QB. if Beane is wrong it will be 10 more years at least before we get to the playoffs. We are not IN position to move up and get a Top 4 pick without sacrificing the Bills future. 

I'm saying that Foles previous success may have more to do with Chip Kelly's offense than Foles's aptitude at quarterback if Mark freakin Sanchez put up similar numbers.  He obviously played great in the postseason, but do you trade a 1st for the guy based off that?  To me, Rosen or Mayfield (preferably Rosen) are worth trading up for and we have the draft capital to do it.   I realize the risk involved with trading up for a potential franchise QB, but the reward is 15 years of competing for the playoffs.  It's time to get aggressive. 

11 minutes ago, USABuffaloFan said:

...and where the hell did I even remotely imply that?.....the kid resurrected his career, maximized his opportunity and came home with the Lombardi AND SB MVP....if your pointing your comments at me, they should be kept silent as they are plainly ignorant.....sure as hell is nothing like a kid coming from the career abyss to the pinnacle, fulfilling a life long dream....

5 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I think if I'm the Bills now, here's what I'd do...

Trade 2019 1st and 2018 3rd (#96) to the Eagles for Foles. I've said in the past that I didnt want to trade next year's pick, but that was expecting a regression under a rookie QB starting. Foles is an upgrade over Taylor and should at least maintain where we were.

Then! I still package #21, #22, #53, and Glenn to move up as high as I can, and pick a QB. Whoever McBeane likes.

We still keep a 2nd and early 3rd this year. And, worst case scenario, surviving around Foles for a couple years, next year's 1st wont be as crucial.

Your going to throw away having a Top 5 running back for the possibility you may get your Franchise QB? Sorry Bills have lost players they made to get these picks and now some of the returned players are leaving too. How do you win with just a old Kyle Williams at DT, old linebackers, no middle linebacker, oh by the way your Center is gone, no speed WR. I am glad Beane has more sense then that. he stole a 3rd pick 65 from Cleveland bluffing he would waste 6 million. A man that does that does not give up all that work for one of these QB's. Not with high talent available like McCarron, Cousins, Foles, Keenum, McCown, Bridgewater, Bradford, Moore. I really thought Bills fans had more sense this. IT IS NOT POSSIBLE TO MOVE UP TO TOP 4 PICKS IN DRAFT FROM 21ST PICK BEING YOUR HIGHEST PICK. You want a QB, try trading for a existing franchise QB, Brees. Rivers, Luck. Offer enough you got your QB. It is not coming from picks 1-4.

1 hour ago, Seanbillsfan2206 said:

It’s too late to use any kind of tag

Thanks, I don't want Keenum anyway. Was just pointing out if Buffalo wanted him he was available, I was wrong he is available as a freeagent without giving anything up. How does that change anything if Buffalo really wants a player, they go get him. They have the picks to get anything they want except a Top 4 pick. You need to be bad in this league to get there or close enough. We gave up players like Darieus and Watkins who could help get you there. Glenn is not one of those players. 21st and 22nd pick are basically a little better than top 2nd round picks. Sorry, it is not possible unless you give up 2 to 3 times more than you should.

1 hour ago, KelsaysLunchbox said:

Your key is for the wrong door.

Unless Joe Thomas retired (and the Browns said they do expect he's back) they don't need an OT. Shon Coleman looks decent and was improving at lot from what I hear. 

Just a knee jerk reaction to throw Glenn in any and every trade to move up imo.

Browns were the worst team in the league, they need to upgrade everyone. Second, they do need a RT and Glenn does fit there. He is expensive for a RT but that shouldn't matter to a team with 89-90 mil in cap space. 

2 minutes ago, USABuffaloFan said:

Browns were the worst team in the league, they need to upgrade everyone. Second, they do need a RT and Glenn does fit there. He is expensive for a RT but that shouldn't matter to a team with 89-90 mil in cap space. 

https://dawgpounddaily.com/2017/10/12/cleveland-browns-the-quiet-emergence-of-shon-coleman/

They are very happy with their RT. And again, if Thomas doesn't retire they have no need (which means Glenn adds zero value to a trade for the Browns.) Yes, they have a lot to upgrade, so why upgrade at a spot that is solid?

Glenn to the Giants- I get that thought. It's a need for them. 

19 minutes ago, USABuffaloFan said:

Your going to throw away having a Top 5 running back for the possibility you may get your Franchise QB? Sorry Bills have lost players they made to get these picks and now some of the returned players are leaving too. How do you win with just a old Kyle Williams at DT, old linebackers, no middle linebacker, oh by the way your Center is gone, no speed WR. I am glad Beane has more sense then that. he stole a 3rd pick 65 from Cleveland bluffing he would waste 6 million. A man that does that does not give up all that work for one of these QB's. Not with high talent available like McCarron, Cousins, Foles, Keenum, McCown, Bridgewater, Bradford, Moore. I really thought Bills fans had more sense this. IT IS NOT POSSIBLE TO MOVE UP TO TOP 4 PICKS IN DRAFT FROM 21ST PICK BEING YOUR HIGHEST PICK. You want a QB, try trading for a existing franchise QB, Brees. Rivers, Luck. Offer enough you got your QB. It is not coming from picks 1-4.

It's all about the QB. This team has been a losing franchise through most of it's history. Mainly due to over-valuing RB and D, and undervaluing QB and Head Coaches. Buffalo has had some of the greatest RBs in history and it's gotten us jack. The only time the team was good was when we had a QB to go with it. Heck, OJ dominated the league and he only played in ONE playoff game his entire career. And now it's a much more QB-centric league.

So yes, you go all in on QB when you have the chance. Right now, the Bills have the chance, and the resources to make it happen. That is what gathering all these resources was all about. It can be done with enough picks, and a player. And both the Giants and Colts need that.