The realities of moving up. (it won't be easy)

You don't get a franchise guy at 21 or 22 this year.  It just doesn't happen.  The bills need to bite the bullet and get their guy.  No more putting it off.  We've been delaying getting a Franchise QB since Kelly left, and where exactly has that gotten us?  In 22 years, we have gotten into the playoffs exactly 3 times.  When was our last playoff victory?  It was in 1995 with Jim Kelly at QB.  We need our next Jim Kelly, and we will not get him by sitting on our thumbs and hoping he falls into our lap.  You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.

2 hours ago, CraigD said:

Agree with the last poster. You need to research better only round 1 picks have the 5th year option that can be apllied

Ugh.  You are right.  I botched this.  the advantage of the round 2 picks and later is they are not subject to the stipulation when signing an extension,  that are not equal to or better than the average of the 3rd-25th salary of players at the same position,  but I would contend that Giants and Colts MIGHT both be inlcined to move back just a few picks, still get a nice haul and still get a blue chip prospect.....purely speculation on my part of course.

3 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

Zero teams moved out of the top 5 last year.  Chicago moved from 3 to 2 with SF dropping from 2 to 3; that was it.

Tennessee had the Rams' pick from a 2016 trade.  Only one team moved from outside the top 10 into it, and only 2 teams moved from outside the top 24 into it.

The 2017 first round featured 6 total trades--3 that involved top 12 picks, and 3 that involved picks 25-31.

All of that is to say that your numbers are off.

Now, is it hard to move into the top 5? No, not hard at all.  It's costly, but finding a dance partner isn't tough.  There's plenty of reason to believe that any of NYG, Indy, and Cleveland (4) would be willing to move out if given the right ransom.

I can't dispute any of this....I would simply contend that the situation at the top involves 4 teams drafting in the first 6 picks that all have a need for a "franchise" QB.  and two teams who can add some serious draft capital having only to move a few slots and still likely get the NON Qb they were going to get anyhow. ....the last 6 QB drafted in round 1 were all trade ups.

And to Hapless Bills Fan....when I was talking about Blue chips in this draft, I was using an arbitrary number.  i don't propose to know how many of those type prospects teams think there are.  simply pointing out if you think the group of guys between pick 20-40 for example are of the same quality, trading into round 2.  Again, dependant on a teams board and philosphy etc.  

4 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

That was a long winded way of saying you don’t think there will be a trade. But in the end it’s just your opinion, not a fact. There are way too many variables in this equation to solve it in a chat room thread. In 2018 the key is whether there’s a team at the top of the board who doesn’t particularly want/need a QB, after free agency has run its course. 

That is true....nobody knows

That doesnt mean that its not a good sensible post....it makes just as much sense as those screaming to move up from 21 to into the top 10 like that is a thing that happens so easily with so many QB starving teams.

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Correct.  Two 1st this year is infinitely more valuable by all draft charts than a 1st this year and a 1st next.  The Bills have loads of capital.  

But the Jets and Broncos both have very high 2nd rounders.

The Colts may value pick 6 and pick 37 more than 21 and 22.

The charts do.

I still believe that hit makes a lot of sense for Cleveland to offer picks 33 and a 3rd or 4th round pick to move from 4th overall to 2nd overall, allowing them to take Barkley and the QB of their choice.

They would still have two 2nd-round picks and 6 others in rounds 3-7

1 hour ago, Zerovotlz said:

I can't dispute any of this....I would simply contend that the situation at the top involves 4 teams drafting in the first 6 picks that all have a need for a "franchise" QB.  and two teams who can add some serious draft capital having only to move a few slots and still likely get the NON Qb they were going to get anyhow. ....the last 6 QB drafted in round 1 were all trade ups.

Draft order:

1. Cleveland Browns
2. New York Giants
3. Indianapolis Colts
4. Cleveland Browns from Houston Texans
5. Denver Broncos
6. New York Jets

Which are the 4 team that need a "franchise QB?

I totally don't follow the logic that 4 of those 6 teams will draft a QB, and 2 teams will want to draft something else so the 4 teams should trade with the 2 teams to move up, but doubtless that's just me bad.

And to Hapless Bills Fan....when I was talking about Blue chips in this draft, I was using an arbitrary number.  i don't propose to know how many of those type prospects teams think there are.  simply pointing out if you think the group of guys between pick 20-40 for example are of the same quality, trading into round 2.  Again, dependant on a teams board and philosphy etc. 

I seriously doubt that any team feels the group of guys between 20-40 are pretty much of the same quality to them.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

To get in the top 3...

It will take Picks 21 & 22, 53 plus next years rd 1 at minimum... 

I truly think the Bills sit tight, actually trade back to be honest with one of the picks. Leaving us with 21, 3 2nd round picks and 2 3rd picks and maybe even a mid 2019 pick.

Giving is 6 players in top 75.

unless Beane can move up without having to throw in the kitchen sink. To say #10, for 21, 53 and next years 1st...

14 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Draft order:

1. Cleveland Browns
2. New York Giants
3. Indianapolis Colts
4. Cleveland Browns from Houston Texans
5. Denver Broncos
6. New York Jets

Which are the 4 team that need a "franchise QB?

I totally don't follow the logic that 4 of those 6 teams will draft a QB, and 2 teams will want to draft something else so the 4 teams should trade with the 2 teams to move up, but doubtless that's just me bad.

I seriously doubt that any team feels the group of guys between 20-40 are pretty much of the same quality to them.

I should just stay away from my computer for a few days.  THREE.  Need a franchise Qb.  Not 4 .  Sorry.  Man I am off kilter.  

7 hours ago, section122 said:

People keep skipping over the bolded.  Teams can offer 2 first rounders.  Only the Bills can offer 2 first this year.  In a win now league 21 and 22 is more valuable imo that 10 and next year's first. The Bills can offer 4 picks in the top 55 this year!  Only Cleveland can offer such a deal and they won't be competing with the Bills for draft slots.

To get to #3 the Bills would simply have to give up their 2 first and 2 seconds.  In return they would receive an extra 4th.  The Bills could overpay for 3 and still be left with 3, 96, 104, 121, 158, and 166. That is under the old chart.

Under the new chart the deal is even more friendly.  To get #3 the Bills only need to give up 21 and 22.  

I think they will have to blend the 2 and do something like 21, 22, and 55 for 3 and 67 which would be a dream scenario for the Bills.  Bottom line trading isn't very far fetched and the Bills can get high pretty easily with the capital they have.

I agree wholeheartedly.  Being in a position to offer a combination of 2 1st Rd picks and 2 2nd's from this year's draft will get other teams' attention.  

Do the Bills really like a particular qb or 2?  To me that's the real driver in all of this.  If they do, they will make it happen imo.