Josh Allen's our guy...

On 3/4/2018 at 5:17 PM, transplantbillsfan said:

If he's our guy (which I don't want... he's the only one of the bunch I don't want), then I would virtually guarantee Tyrod Taylor would still be our QB for one more year.

Love Allen's physical tools... but damn he's scary!

Could you imagine scramble happy TT trying to teach 56% Allen how to be a accurate pocket passer. Sounds like an SNL skit to me.

Please anyone but Allen. 

3 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Could you imagine scramble happy TT trying to teach 56% Allen how to be a accurate pocket passer. Sounds like an SNL skit to me.

Please anyone but Allen. 

Well, luckily that's why you have coaches. 

Favre pretty adamantly and publicly refused to "teach" or "mentor" Rodgers while he was the backup.

Taylor wouldn't be doing any teaching... he wouldn't have to.

But I don't think Allen will ever be a Franchise QB, no matter who's teaching him.

2 hours ago, jrober38 said:

Oh! He looked good throwing the ball in a pair of shorts with no defenders on the field at the combine? I guess his accuracy problems are cured. 

LMAO

EJ Manuel looked good at the Senior Bowl and Combine as well. Then he stepped on an NFL field and his horrendous accuracy came right back, as is the case for every single QB I mentioned who looked great in a pair of shorts, but never displayed adequate accuracy in live games when things actually matter. 

First round QBs bust more often than they succeed. I couldn't care less where draft sites have him rated. Draft sites who project guys in the 1st round are wrong more often than not.

It's not just my opinion but almost every draft site I look at has this kid as a top 15 pick. Most every QB selected in the first round only has a 33% chance to make it and Allen is no exception. Nobody really knows which one of this years QB's will rise to the top of the class. Josh Allen happens to have an almost unlimited ceiling and if developed properly he could be another Big Ben. 

I simply think the fans that are down on him have no clue about what's been going on since the season ended. The scouts and draft evaluators certainly know more than the fans. 

As for EJ, he spent his first season developing in the NFL with no QB coach, no veteran QB on the roster and the only guy he was learning from was his OC who had never been an NFL offensive coordinator previously. EJ would later state that he learned the most from watching Kyle Orton prepare for games.  EJ also started behind one of the very worst offensive lines in the league. Nobody ever took the time to help the kid with his mechanics or footwork in Buffalo and so we have a failed first round QB due to stupidity by the team. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

On March 4, 2018 at 8:07 PM, Da webster guy said:

would be the 1st qb to make it in the big leagues in a dozen years who had a sub 60% completion percentage. 

He is a perfect example of the type of NFL bust that NFL teams love.

Lousy accuracy and can't process the mental part of the position at the NFL level...but his size and arm make NFL teams foam at the mouth.

Keep him away from the Bills!

3 hours ago, jrober38 said:

You're describing the exact reasons EJ Manuel and Jake Locker went in round 1.

Don't forget Blaine Gabbert and Christian Ponder. 2011 & 2013 drafted QBs were obviously legends.

3 hours ago, jrober38 said:

Agreed. They're literally the same prospect.

It's mind boggling that some Bills fans want this guy. 

• Same height 
  • Same weight 
  • Same mobility
  • Big arms 
  • Terrible accuracy
  • Terrible awareness 
  • Can't throw with touch
  • Doesn't throw with anticipation 

One difference with Manuel and Allen is that Allen looks to throw it and try to make a play that way as opposed to EJ who will take off running at the first sign of trouble. And that's mainly because the person he trusts on the field the most is himself, which is an odd contradiction for him. He won't trust himself to push the ball through tight windows but when the play breaks down and something has to happen he'll go, "I gotta run, forget throwing or even looking down field." I do, however, put some of the running mentality EJ has/had on Marrone and Hackett. Those dudes have literally said they wouldn't throw the ball if they didn't have to. And during EJ's rookie year, he was consistently coached to make one or two half-field reads and instantly take off running if the receive wasn't open. 

1 hour ago, Nihilarian said:

It's not just my opinion but almost every draft site I look at has this kid as a top 15 pick. Most every QB selected in the first round only has a 33% chance to make it and Allen is no exception. Nobody really knows which one of this years QB's will rise to the top of the class. Josh Allen happens to have an almost unlimited ceiling and if developed properly he could be another Big Ben. 

I simply think the fans that are down on him have no clue about what's been going on since the season ended. The scouts and draft evaluators certainly know more than the fans. 

As for EJ, he spent his first season developing in the NFL with no QB coach, no veteran QB on the roster and the only guy he was learning from was his OC who had never been an NFL offensive coordinator previously. EJ would later state that he learned the most from watching Kyle Orton prepare for games.  EJ also started behind one of the very worst offensive lines in the league. Nobody ever took the time to help the kid with his mechanics or footwork in Buffalo and so we have a failed first round QB due to stupidity by the team. 

I don't care about the draft sites because they're wrong all the time. Guys with accuracy issues in college, don't go on to have success in the NFL. 

That's all I care about.

You can't be an erratic passer in the Mountain West Conference and expect to be anything more than a long shot to be a competent NFL starter. 

Guys with accuracy issues in college almost always go on to be colossal busts in the NFL. The throwing windows are too small and the defenders are too fast. The correlation between inaccuracy and being a bad NFL QB is almost perfect. 

People get wrapped up in Allen's arm strength, but reality is you don't need a cannon to be a successful NFL QB. Every single top NFL QB, aside from Cam Newton, relies on their accuracy to get the job done. That's the thing they all have in common, and Allen simply doesn't possess adequate accuracy to be an NFL QB. 

• Like (+1) 1

Here's a nice article about Josh Allen written in September of last year after a miserable showing against the Ducks:

https://www.denverpost.com/2017/09/22/josh-allen-wyoming-qb/

There are few good nuggets in there about Allen and what he was facing in terms of competition. I've said it before, but I think Allen is an aberration to the accuracy rule for QBs transitioning from college to the NFL. I tend to put a lot of emphasis on accuracy for any QB but especially for college QBs, but in this particular case, I do think the totality of circumstances warrants consideration for his overall performance.

Here's an article by the Denver post written on Saturday about what he's doing now and his mindset toward "the process"....(couldn't resist...not sorry).

https://www.denverpost.com/2018/03/03/josh-allen-quarterback-nfl-draft/

19 hours ago, jrober38 said:

Oh! He looked good throwing the ball in a pair of shorts with no defenders on the field at the combine? I guess his accuracy problems are cured. 

I wouldn't even say he looked good in shorts with no defenders. The receivers had to slow down or adjust to a lot of his passes. 

He reminds me of EJ a lot. Everyone said he had a big arm and blah blah blah but all I saw was receivers slowing down to catch an under thrown deep ball. Allen seems slow to pull the trigger. Idk if it's because he has a lot of faith in his arm or he slow reading the field. I want a qb that can throw with anticipation. I don't think that's allen.

11 minutes ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

I wouldn't even say he looked good in shorts with no defenders. The receivers had to slow down or adjust to a lot of his passes. 

He reminds me of EJ a lot. Everyone said he had a big arm and blah blah blah but all I saw was receivers slowing down to catch an under thrown deep ball. Allen seems slow to pull the trigger. Idk if it's because he has a lot of faith in his arm or he slow reading the field. I want a qb that can throw with anticipation. I don't think that's allen.

Every year people talk up mediocre college QBs as if they have a good chance of becoming a solid NFL QB. 

Reality is that it's unbelievably hard to find good QBs in the NFL. Almost always, the guys who succeed in the NFL were the guys who dominated college football while they were there. They usually elevated the program they were at and made the supporting cast around them better. 

The guys who bust are usually the guys who look great in a pair of shorts, but were nothing more than mediocre college QBs. EJ Manuel, Blaine Gabbert, Jake Locker, Paxton Lynch, Josh Freeman; these were all mediocre college QBs who did nothing to elevate their team, but because they all "look" like a franchise QB, scouts were willing to ignore the game tape and fantasize over what might be if every part of their development was perfect.

Every single one of them busted. 

Big, strong, athletic, "throwers" of the football never succeed in the NFL. You need to look for guys who can "pass" the ball, and that's not Allen. 

• Like (+1) 1