Mason Rudolph

1 minute ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Wow... tough crowd.

The guy has the size, ability and production.  Don't know what's not to like about him.  I sure as hell don't want to see us trade up for him.  And I really won't be upset if we pass on him.  But what about him do you dislike so much?

On the flip side, I'll break my TV if we draft Allen.

I laughed at the tv thing ?

His ability is the question.

His accuracy isn't great on short and quick routes.

He's not a very good athlete.

His arm strength comes and goes in games, maybe inconsistent mechanics/footwork?

I'm not saying he doesn't have upside, and I wouldn't be unhappy with him in round 2.

21/22 I'm not okay with reaching for him.

24 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

I've been moving guys around with who I want most

I've come around to every possible QB except for Allen. If we trade up and take Darnold or Rosen or Mayfield I'll be happy. If we stay put to take Jackson or Rudolph I'll be happy. If we take Allen I'll meet you at a discount TV store.

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, DCOrange said:

Mayfield meets the Parcells criteria as well, but I think the Parcell rules are outdated personally.

Indeed.

Besides, Parcells never ate his own dog food. The highest profile QB he ever drafted as a coach or GM was Bledsoe, who did NOT meet the criteria. Nor did Jeff Hostetler, whom the Giants drafted in 1984 when Parcells was head coach  (Phil Simms was already on the Giants' roster when Parcells took over as head coach). The Jets never drafted a QB of note during Parcells' time there, and Chad Pennington was drafted the year AFTER Parcells left. In Dallas, Romo was an after-thought who was not even drafted in 2003, signing with the Cowboys as a rookie UDFA. 

IIRC, Chad Henne was the last QB that Parcells played a role in drafting. He too failed to fulfill the criteria.

7 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

I laughed at the tv thing ?

His ability is the question.

His accuracy isn't great on short and quick routes.

He's not a very good athlete.

His arm strength comes and goes in games, maybe inconsistent mechanics/footwork?

I'm not saying he doesn't have upside, and I wouldn't be unhappy with him in round 2.

21/22 I'm not okay with reaching for him.

We want a good athlete?

I thought TBD consensus was that it's time to move away from all these good athletes at the QB position... so confused  :huh:

My QBs I'll be excited for are Mayfield & Darnold in a trade up or Jackson & Rudolph staying put at 21/22.

I'd take Jackson over Rudolph, but there's a good chance even he won't be there at 21/22.  So if what we're left with is Rudolph at 21/22 and McBeane take him, it's because they really like him.

So I'll be super excited.

I'll deal with Rosen and get excited if we trade up for him.  But seriously question both his injury history and especially his general demeanor, love for the game and being a "leader of men."  For that reason I just really doubt he's on our radar in the way the National media is reporting.  I just don't think he's the right type of leader McDermott would want.  Just a hunch, nothing more.

Don't touch Allen with an 87-foot pole... I guess a 90-footer would be okay, though  0:) 

12 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I've come around to every possible QB except for Allen. If we trade up and take Darnold or Rosen or Mayfield I'll be happy. If we stay put to take Jackson or Rudolph I'll be happy. If we take Allen I'll meet you at a discount TV store.

Me too, but Rosen would unsettle me a little.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

We want a good athlete?

I thought TBD consensus was that it's time to move away from all these good athletes at the QB position... so confused  :huh:

They are all athletes.   

When they start with exceptional athlete is what I cringe.  

Exceptional passer, reads defenses and plays well in the pocket all need to be stated before his “escapability” is discussed.   

lmo

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

We want a good athlete?

My QBs I'll be excited for are Mayfield & Darnold in a trade up or Jackson & Rudolph staying put at 21/22.

I'd take Jackson over Rudolph, but there's a good chance even he won't be there at 21/22.  So if what we're left with is Rudolph at 21/22 and McBeane take him, it's because they really like him.

So I'll be super excited.

I'll deal with Rosen and get excited if we trade up for him.  But seriously question both his injury history and especially his general demeanor, love for the game and being a "leader of men."  For that reason I just really doubt he's on our radar in the way the National media is reporting.  I just don't think he's the right type of leader McDermott would want.  Just a hunch, nothing more.

Don't touch Allen with an 87-foot pole... I guess a 90-footer would be okay, though  0:) 

My regards to his athleticism means poor pocket mobility, reaction time left to right on the field reads, etc

He just looks slow, and I don't mean slow like Peyton Manning, who wasn't fast, but had great footwork with his pocket mobility, changing directions when adjusting to a throw, etc.

I mean slow like he looks as if he will get smashed in the pocket because he takes too long to throw and move around back there.

The rest of your post I'm good with, just clarifying what you asked

14 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

The only thing that scares me with Rosen is his injury history. His attitude doesn't bother me at all, no more than Mayfield's does anyways. I could see him becoming a Sam Bradford situation where injuries prevent him from ever becoming a franchise QB. But if he stays healthy my belief is he'll be the best QB of the class. I'm willing to take the risk. He's gotta be one of the smartest QBs ever and he has the arm to match.

• Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

They are all athletes.   

When they start with exceptional athlete is what I cringe.  

Exceptional passer, reads defenses and plays well in the pocket all need to be stated before his “escapability” is discussed.   

lmo

So you'll cringe if we draft Jackson?

1 hour ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Terrible idea and Rudolph is not a 1st round talent. 

That has not stopped prospects from getting drafted in the first round, nor from doing well as an nfl player. I would also submit that in this day that qb's are getting overdrafted because front offices realize their importance.

Hey, if we can find someone to trade with in the top 5 that's great, but has it ever even happened? I could see them coming down in the top ten, but dropping to 21/22? Doesn't seem likely. So if it makes you feel better to take someone else instead of rudolph, then go right ahead. I like him better than mayfield, although I would really like to add the OU offensive coordinator to the staff, I think they made him look better than he is.

1 minute ago, 4BillsintheBurgh said:

That has not stopped prospects from getting drafted in the first round, nor from doing well as an nfl player. I would also submit that in this day that qb's are getting overdrafted because front offices realize their importance.

Hey, if we can find someone to trade with in the top 5 that's great, but has it ever even happened? I could see them coming down in the top ten, but dropping to 21/22? Doesn't seem likely. So if it makes you feel better to take someone else instead of rudolph, then go right ahead. I like him better than mayfield, although I would really like to add the OU offensive coordinator to the staff, I think they made him look better than he is.

I think we sometimes see 2nd round quarterbacks drafted in the first. We don't typically see fourth rounders being grabbed in the first...well besides EJ Manuel. 

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

Exactly where I am. 

2 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I think we sometimes see 2nd round quarterbacks drafted in the first. We don't typically see fourth rounders being grabbed in the first...well besides EJ Manuel. 

Yea but you are wrong about him being a 4th rounder. 

21 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

I’ll puke and seriously think about dropping my Sunday Ticket.   

And I won’t doubt ticket sales slide big time.  

Yeah... ticket sales won't slide if we draft Jackson.  That seems like a preposterous prediction on your part.

Do you hate Jackson as a QB as much or more as you hate Tyrod as a QB?

Just now, MrEpsYtown said:

Hindsight is 20/20. Obviously. He was not a first round talent or we would have taken him at 8. But we got our guy. And there are plenty of guys drafted higher that flamed out faster and harder. The proof will be over time.

10 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Yeah... ticket sales won't slide if we draft Jackson.  That seems like a preposterous prediction on your part.

Do you hate Jackson as a QB as much or more as you hate Tyrod as a QB?

Why does someone have to HATE Tyrod just because they know he’s not a very good QB?  

preposterous is to deny the possibility. 

Lets say that what I saw of him at the combine was not impressive at all in passing drills against air and no one pressuring him.  

I’m done with the run first QB and I believe many many Bills fans are as well.  

To continue the TT type game will hurt attendance and viewership.  

Somethng you choose not to consider. Christ all you need to do is look at you own Poll thread for proof. 

The majority 79% don’t think he’s back and for a good reason.  

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Yea but you are wrong about him being a 4th rounder. 

WIth all of the free agents available plus Foles possibly in a trade, I think he is in for a long wait. I think he could sneak into day 2, but I think he is a day 3 pick. 

This reminds me of the Mariota-Winston draft. Those guys went 1-2 then the next quarterback did not go until the third in Garrett Grayson, Petty went in the 4th, Hundley in the fifth I believe. People were talking about Grayson, Hundley, Petty being 1st-2nd round picks. I think Rosen, Darnold, Allen go high, Mayfield somewhere in the first and I think Jackson sneaks into the end of first. After that I think Rudolph slips. I think there is a chance he goes in the third. He will not go in the first or second. You just don't draft low ceiling prospects who need a ton of work high at quarterback. There is simply no upside. There is way too much potential at other positions.  

28 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

WIth all of the free agents available plus Foles possibly in a trade, I think he is in for a long wait. I think he could sneak into day 2, but I think he is a day 3 pick. 

This reminds me of the Mariota-Winston draft. Those guys went 1-2 then the next quarterback did not go until the third in Garrett Grayson, Petty went in the 4th, Hundley in the fifth I believe. People were talking about Grayson, Hundley, Petty being 1st-2nd round picks. I think Rosen, Darnold, Allen go high, Mayfield somewhere in the first and I think Jackson sneaks into the end of first. After that I think Rudolph slips. I think there is a chance he goes in the third. He will not go in the first or second. You just don't draft low ceiling prospects who need a ton of work high at quarterback. There is simply no upside. There is way too much potential at other positions.  

He won't make it out of round 2. He is miles better than Hundley and Petty et al. 

Edited by GunnerBill

25 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

He won't make it out of round 2. He is miles better than Hundley and Petty et al. 

For the sake of argument if Rudolph slips into the second round that doesn't mean that he will be available when we draft in that round. If you believe that eventually he could be a franchise qb then the strategy should be error on the side of drafting a round earlier rather than losing out because you waited. An organization that doesn't have a franchise qb has to be more aggressive on the issue than a team that already has their long-term starter.