Beane on Tolbert: "I Don't Know if Mike is in the Mix"

Bills GM Brandon Beane said Wednesday on 1270 The Fan that Buffalo is looking to find a backup running back with a power style to complement LeSean McCoy. Asked if Mike Tolbert could fill that role again, Beane said, "I don't know if Mike is in the mix right now or not. We're going to look at all of our options. I would not close that door yet. But free agency is just getting started. Some guys are getting released -- [the host] mentioned Jonathan Stewart and Chris Ivory. So we'll do our due diligence, and then make what we feel is the best decision for us for 2018."

Edited by 26CornerBlitz
  • Like (+1) 2

I know the Pegulas are spare-no-expense type owners, but I would think bringing Tolbert back would put a significant dent in the Bills' monthly and yearly grocery budget. That, combined with his salary, and the fact that Tolbert...you know, kinda sucks, should put this matter to rest.

1 minute ago, kdiggz said:

so?  they could have signed another back when he saw how bad he was

So? You must have missed the point of McDermott's emphasis on changing the culture of the team.  I didn't want him around as the 2nd back, but that's on the HC. 

45 minutes ago, BuffaloRush said:

Should we add Mike Tolbert to Doug Whaley’s resume?

Signing Tolbert wasn't the issue. Mike offers a lot. A goalline power back, veteran presence in locker room, and leadership. He is a great guy to have on the team. The issue was making him a backup RB... He should be a 3rd string RB. And that is on McDermott for cutting Williams and placing Tolbert in as the #2

• Like (+1) 2

Mike did what he was supposed to do. Provide leadership, help with the culture change, block on passing downs, and chip in a few thundering runs throughout the year (remember when he trucked Lawrence Timmons out of his shoes in Miami?!

The problem, as another poster stated, was relying on him as RB2. He should have been RB3 and Williams should have been kept. I STILL can't figure out why they cut Williams.