NFL Could Change Defensive Pass Interference to a 15-yard Penalty - Unlikely to be Adopted

26CornerBlitz

Just now, CodeMonkey said:

I absolutely HATE that. People are bitching now at how inconsistent calls are.  Imagine what happens if they deliberately make this arbitrary based on the refs perception of it if impacted the play or not.

Would you rather have 5 long pass interference calls a game? And over half of those are lame calls?

Let the players play more and don’t call it unless it’s bad. Penalties are killing the game, not lack of penalties 

5 minutes ago, billsfan11 said:

Would you rather have 5 long pass interference calls a game? And over half of those are lame calls?

Let the players play more and don’t call it unless it’s bad. Penalties are killing the game, not lack of penalties 

I'm all for less penalties.  But deliberately making the call based on a  persons perception of impact on the play is the definition of inconsistent calls.

Remove some of the stupid penalties like when an offensive linemans muscle twitches it's a false start. Or a receiver is a few inches too far off the line it is a illegal formation (or most of the illegal formation calls actually) and so on.  There are plenty of ways to speed up the game and improve the flow of the game.

Edited by CodeMonkey

42 minutes ago, CodeMonkey said:

I'm all for less penalties.  But deliberately making the call based on a  persons perception of impact on the play is the definition of inconsistent calls.

Remove some of the stupid penalties like when an offensive linemans muscle twitches it's a false start. Or a receiver is a few inches too far off the line it is a illegal formation (or most of the illegal formation calls actually) and so on.  There are plenty of ways to speed up the game and improve the flow of the game.

But the problem right now is the inconsistent calls on PI. 

One time they will call something so soft. And then the other time they will miss something blatant. That’s the biggest issue in my opinion and a lot of the times they are game changing calls.

19 hours ago, billsfan11 said:

But the problem right now is the inconsistent calls on PI. 

One time they will call something so soft. And then the other time they will miss something blatant. That’s the biggest issue in my opinion and a lot of the times they are game changing calls.

And you think adding an element to the process that would make the ref decide if he thinks the action had a "big enough" impact on the play to warrant a PI call would make the calls more consistent?  I think exactly the opposite.

15 minutes ago, CodeMonkey said:

And you think adding an element to the process that would make the ref decide if he thinks the action had a "big enough" impact on the play to warrant a PI call would make the calls more consistent?  I think exactly the opposite.

You don’t need to have a specific rule. Just say don’t call it unless you’re sure. Minimize flags. Lame PI calls are the worst flags in football and it kills the game.

You don’t need to look further than watching that AFC championship game between the Jags and Pats.

Absolutely no reason to call those and it severely impacted the game .

And by severely, I mean it probably was the difference in the game.

Let the players decide it, not a ticky tack call 50 yards down the field 

Edited by billsfan11

Awful idea...call the game right and you wouldnt have DBs just tackling WRs that get beat. That will completely take away from the game. 

We want football to be more exciting....but we cant watch that 80 yard TD reception anymore. Which is it NFL?

Edited by Ramza86

On ‎2‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 2:02 PM, 26CornerBlitz said:

This is a terrible idea that I hope they vote down.

NFL Could Change Defensive PI to a 15-yard Penalty

The NFL is reportedly looking at implementing a number of rule changes, some expected (clarifying the catch rule) and some not so.

One of the surprising proposals offered by the NFL Competition Committee is to change the penalty for defensive pass interference from a spot foul to a 15-yard penalty at most, NFL Network's Judy Battista reported Tuesday. This is more in line with how the game is refereed on the collegiate level.

Changing the pass interference penalty is on its face a defense-first measure. Offenses would have far less to gain by "chucking it up" to try and draw a penalty from a grabby defensive back downfield.

I have no problem with this as long as the Interference isn't blatant. Blatant interference should be ball spot and I am sure they will talk about this.

Kind of like the Running into the kicker rule?

On 3/1/2018 at 9:55 AM, billsfan11 said:

You don’t need to have a specific rule. Just say don’t call it unless you’re sure. Minimize flags. Lame PI calls are the worst flags in football and it kills the game.

You don’t need to look further than watching that AFC championship game between the Jags and Pats.

Absolutely no reason to call those and it severely impacted the game .

And by severely, I mean it probably was the difference in the game.

Let the players decide it, not a ticky tack call 50 yards down the field 

So you think they called those PI's without being sure? :)

14 minutes ago, CodeMonkey said:

So you think they called those PI's without being sure? :)

They were unfortunately sure of those calls.

If the league told the officials to let the players play more, I can almost guarantee they don’t make those calls.

You ever notice the super bowl has less flags than other games? Not a coincidence at all. I can almost guarantee the league tells the officials to ease up on the flags in the SB

Guest K-GunJimKelly12

It should be really simple and I haven't read any of this thread so I apologize if this has been mentioned, but just make PI reviewable with instant replay and the problem is solved.  It doesn't happen often enough where PI will slow the game down that much and it is usually a pretty clear cut call, at least more than what a catch is.  This way you don't have teams abusing receivers when they get open deep and you allow a head coach to have the option to review a bad PI call, like the one that cost the Bills the game in London versus Jacksonville.

Edited by K-GunJimKelly12

6 minutes ago, K-GunJimKelly12 said:

It should be really simple and I haven't read any of this thread so I apologize if this has been mentioned, but just make PI reviewable with instant replay and the problem is solved.  It doesn't happen often enough where PI will slow the game down that much and it is usually a pretty clear cut call, at least more than what a catch is.  This way you don't have teams abusing receivers when they get open deep and you allow a head coach to have the option to review a bad PI call, like the one that cost the Bills the game in London versus Jacksonville.

Just what the game doesn't need is more reviews to slow down the flow of the game even further.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz
  • Like (+1) 1

The NFL, having no doubt studied to death the reasons for the drop in TV ratings, is finally coming up with solutions. Apparently fans are sick and tired of long pass completions; they would rather see defensive backs tackle any receiver who gets 30 yards downfield. Sounds like a winning strategy!

4 hours ago, K-GunJimKelly12 said:

This makes some sense. Really nothing different than awarding a penalty shot in hockey. If the catch was likely to be made, particularly when it would have resulted in a touchdown, a 15 yard penalty is completely insufficient. Maybe the replay could distinguish between ordinary interference and truly game-changing interference. But then again ... think of all the wonderful arguments about whether it should have been a 15 yarder vs. a spot of the foul mark ...

• 3 weeks later...

Penalty for Defensive PI Expected to Remain Same

The NFL's Competition Committee is hitting the breaks on momentum to change defensive pass interference to a 15-yard penalty.

NFL Network's Judy Battista reported Thursday the committee is not in favor of changing the spot foul to a standard 15-yard violation and is not expected to recommend approval to owners at next week's Annual League Meeting.

• 26CornerBlitz changed the title to NFL Could Change Defensive Pass Interference to a 15-yard Penalty - Unlikely to be Adopted