Why I would be happy with Lamar Jackson

20 hours ago, Rad Likes The Bills said:

this is just so wrong. but okayyyyyyyyyy dude

It would be helpful and far more interesting if you explained yourself surfer boy.

20 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I can't see anyone taking Jackson and trying to start him in year one.............so I don't see the "2 or 3 years before he is demoted" thing as applying.........2 or 3 years before he gets a chance to be a starter sounds more realistic.

Yeah.   Could very well be the case.     I was picturing the Bills drafting him with their first pick in round 1.   And then starting him in year 1.   Which would be a coach killer in my opinion - unless the guy was awesome right out of the gate.

2 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

I think Jackson has the biggest bust factor as a NFL QB.  The only upside in drafting him, is if he busts at QB, there is a chance you could move him to another position(RB/WR hybrid??)...assuming he would be willing.

I am not advocating for them to take Jackson, but that isn’t the only upside to taking him.  We don’t know, he could be a complete bust or be great or somewhere in between.

I could envision him as a better Tyrod Taylor or possibly a Marcus Mariota type.

On 2/17/2018 at 1:51 PM, Estro said:

The most important trait in a QB prospect IMO is accuracy.  Jackson's accuracy is not very good which IMO will keep him from ever being a high quality QB

And what happens in the NFL with a bad throw? It's usually intercepted! For every great throw, the kid makes he also makes two, three bad throws.

Think Geno Smith,  https://www.sbnation.com/nfl-mock-draft/2013/3/26/4150036/geno-smith-2013-nfl-draft-scouting-report

I would rather keep Tyrod who may not throw as much but he will protect the ball and turn the ball over. 

On 2/17/2018 at 2:37 PM, 1billsfan said:

That's crazy IMO. In the last two days I've read stories of DeSean Watson giving huge props to Jackson ("I don't want him to go to the Jacksonville," Watson said. "Send him to the North."), and also I saw a segment of NFL Total Access where David Carr said Jackson's his brother Derrick's favorite player who can't get enough of watching him play.

https://www.courier-journal.com/story/sports/college/louisville/2018/02/01/deshaun-watson-lamar-jackson-he-can-do-things-ive-done-rookie/1086527001/

I don't understand why Jackson seems so underrated and underestimated by media and fans. If Jackson goes to a team which would change their offense to fit him, he'll be putting up Watson numbers no doubt about it. The Bills would be a fantastic spot for this to happen. The Bills franchise and fans are used to a running style QB, and they now have an OC who's very familiar with the college game and how to maximize Jackson's talents in the NFL. He'll probably end up in either Arizona or Buffalo. Both head coaches were around Cam Newton for along time. They've seen it work.

FWIW, I don't believe the trade up for Josh Rosen rumor at all. Judging by the moves the FO made last year, if they don't seem to favor west coast players, they probably don't want a prima donna west coast QB like Rosen who'd probably be miserable in Buffalo.

I love watching Jackson play as well......great athlete and flashes some tremendous throws which gives him a great ceiling........I think he's got a higher upside than Watson.....but I think he's less ready than Watson was when Watson was drafted.   Two straight trips thru the playoffs........and dominating in them.........was a huge accelerator for Watson, IMO.

44 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

There's an obsession with "pro style" QBs.

And I believe it was Kirby who has some inside sources at OBD that said the Bills don't like Jackson. I'm guessing for the wrong reasons as you indicated above.

Teams want a traditional pocket QB as opposed to guys like Russel Wilson/Deshaun Watson/Jackson and even Tyrod because of their style of play. 

Im all for a player like Jackson if the coaches utilize his skill set and build an offense around that instead of what we saw with Dennison and his disastrous plan with Tyrod and the offense.

Is Aaron Rodgers considered a "traditional pocket QB"? Carson Wentz? Yes, these guys can make plays from the pocket, but what makes them lethal is their ability to make plays with their legs. I'm high on Lamar Jackson and very intrigued with his showing at the combine. Hopefully he participates in all the events.

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

There's an obsession with "pro style" QBs.

And I believe it was Kirby who has some inside sources at OBD that said the Bills don't like Jackson. I'm guessing for the wrong reasons as you indicated above.

Teams want a traditional pocket QB as opposed to guys like Russel Wilson/Deshaun Watson/Jackson and even Tyrod because of their style of play. 

Im all for a player like Jackson if the coaches utilize his skill set and build an offense around that instead of what we saw with Dennison and his disastrous plan with Tyrod and the offense.

Who knows, he could have got bad information (or misinformation). IMO, I tend to think the only two guys in the organization who know which QBs the Bills like, and in what order, are Beane and McDermott, and that's the ways it's going to stay until they make the pick.

QBs like Jackson are the future of this league. We can all see it coming. The days of strictly drop back passers are clearly going away. If they do take Jackson, they'll probably take another QB at some point because the QB position will become like pitchers in baseball, only in the NFL...it's for when they get hurt, not if. With all the running around it's bound to happen.

If they do take him and set the offense up right, Jackson has the ability to have the same impact as Watson did. Then all the experts can say "duh, why didn't we see that coming?!" all over again.

12 hours ago, 1billsfan said:

QBs like Jackson are the future of this league. We can all see it coming. The days of strictly drop back passers are clearly going away.

In college maybe.   Not in the NFL.

Even guys with wheels - like Newton, Russell Wilson, Tyrod & Mike Vick - end up running less and less over time and becoming more of a pocket passer - and eventually end up on the bench if their arm isn't good enough.

Then there are guys like Fitzpatrick and Roethlisberger who used to run with the ball for first downs more often when they first came into the NFL - and very seldom run now.   Age does that to quarterbacks.

Once these Qb's hit 30ish - their wheels start to slowly fill with concrete.

If you want to get a franchise quarterback who can make your team a 10-15 year playoff contender, you better get a guy with an arm.   His legs won't last.

I’d be fine with keeping TT and drafting Jackson at #22. Outside of Cousins I don’t see a FA QB that is definitely better than TT. Some of them could be but just like TT they have their warts. Injury & inexperience being the most common warts. Ride with TT for one more year and it’s Jackson’s gig the next year. Unless Jackson beats TT out this year? and wee keep our draft picks to Stephen our team. No QB in this year’s draft is worth giving away all of our picks this year!!