The Irony of Bucky Brooks Ranking NFL Draft Prospects

BuffaloRush

I have to admit, I am a fan of NFL.com's Bucky Brooks as an analyst.  I think he provides very good insight and is well-spoken and articulate.  Earlier today he was a guest on the John Murphy Show (he said the Bills should be conservative in the draft with first round picks and think they have a mid-range QB in mind) and he was evaluating which players would be successful in the NFL draft and which ones (namely Baker Mayfield) may not. 

As I said above, I think Bucky is knowledgeable and good at his job but doesn't anyone see the irony here?  Many of the longtime Bills fans know that Bucky was probably one of John Butler's biggest draft busts.  He was taken in the mid-to-high second round drafting as a potential replacement for the great Andre Reed.   He hardly got on the field and when he did it appeared that Bucky was simply not a good NFL player.  He only played 3 games his rookie year before getting injured, but didn't catch a pass.  He was fully recovered by the start of the 1995 season but was beaten out by mid round draft picks like Justin Armour and Russell Copeland and aging veterans Billy Brooks, Steve Tasker.  Eventually he tried his luck at CB and bounced around from team-to-team to no avail.  

Again, I'm not saying that you have to be a success NFL draft pick to evaluate talent, I'm just saying it's ironic that the guy who is predicting the draft value and success of college players, was himself, extremely unsuccessful as a high draft pick.  

Edited by BuffaloRush

Is it less ironic that people that never played football ever analyze draft values and success of college players - or an ex player that has never formally evaluated or scouted high school and/or college players?  He's at least more qualified than them.  

31 minutes ago, BuffaloRush said:

I have to admit, I am a fan of NFL.com's Bucky Brooks as an analyst.  I think he provides very good insight and is well-spoken and articulate.  Earlier today he was a guest on the John Murphy Show (he said the Bills should be conservative in the draft with first round picks and think they have a mid-range QB in mind) and he was evaluating which players would be successful in the NFL draft and which ones (namely Baker Mayfield) may not. 

As I said above, I think Bucky is knowledgeable and good at his job but doesn't anyone see the irony here?  Many of the longtime Bills fans know that Bucky was probably one of John Butler's biggest draft busts.  He was taken in the mid-to-high second round drafting as a potential replacement for the great Andre Reed.   He hardly got on the field and when he did it appeared that Bucky was simply not a good NFL player.  He only played 3 games his rookie year before getting injured, but didn't catch a pass.  He was fully recovered by the start of the 1995 season but was beaten out by mid round draft picks like Justin Armour and Russell Copeland and aging veterans Billy Brooks, Steve Tasker.  Eventually he tried his luck at CB and bounced around from team-to-team to no avail.  

Again, I'm not saying that you have to be a success NFL draft pick to evaluate talent, I'm just saying it's ironic that the guy who is predicting the draft value and success of college players, was himself, extremely unsuccessful as a high draft pick.  

I dont see it as ironic at all.  The NFL is full of great coaches, great GM's, great FO people throughout its history who also played football and were not a very good or successful player themselves, heck many never even made the pros.  

At the same time, plenty of great players are terrible at the evaluation of prospects.  One of the absolute worst GM in sports history is Michael Jordan, who is also widely viewed as the single greatest player to ever play his sport.  

Being a good or bad player doesn't mean you are good or bad at evaluating others.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, White Linen said:

Is it less ironic that people that never played football ever analyze draft values and success of college players - or an ex player that has never formally evaluated or scouted high school and/or college players?  He's at least more qualified than them.  

I don’t see how playing vs not playing - or how well you played should equate to scouting ability? Having a bad 40 makes you a bad scout?

6 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I dont see it as ironic at all.  The NFL is full of great coaches, great GM's, great FO people throughout its history who also played football and were not a very good or successful player themselves, heck many never even made the pros.  

At the same time, plenty of great players are terrible at the evaluation of prospects.  One of the absolute worst GM in sports history is Michael Jordan, who is also widely viewed as the single greatest player to ever play his sport.  

Being a good or bad player doesn't mean you are good or bad at evaluating others.  

True but the difference is Michael Jordan doesn't provide commentary whether prospective GM's will be successful or not.  I still can't think about Bucky talk the draft without remembering what a bust he was himself.  IMO there's a lot of irony there... 

5 minutes ago, BuffaloRush said:

True but the difference is Michael Jordan doesn't provide commentary whether prospective GM's will be successful or not.  I still can't think about Bucky talk the draft without remembering what a bust he was himself.  IMO there's a lot of irony there... 

His abilities or failings as a former player are immaterial to him understanding the game and assessing draft prospects for how their respective talents translate to the NFL.  There is absolutely nothing ironic about that. 

Edited by 26CornerBlitz
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

His abilities or failings as a former player are immaterial to him understanding the game and assessing draft prospects for how their respective talents translate to the NFL.  There is absolutely nothing ironic about that. 

You don't find the fact that a failed draft pick is now assessing whether other players will be successful or not successful in the NFL eh?  I guess it makes a lot of sense for Rex Ryan to host a segment on coaches that should be fired on NFL Countdown

David Carr shouldn't be on NFL Network either according to this line of thinking. :wacko:

Wrong...it's not really the same point.  I never said Bucky shouldn't be allowed to do his job - I just said it''s an ironic topic coming from a former college player that was a HUGE bust himself.   David Carr was a 10 year NFL verteran.  He was not a superstar and you can certainly make an argument that he was a bust.   So if Carr's going to be doing a segment on which QB's will be busts and which ones won't, then yeah that is also ironic.  

1 minute ago, BuffaloRush said:

You don't find the fact that a failed draft pick is now assessing whether other players will be successful or not successful in the NFL eh?  I guess it makes a lot of sense for Rex Ryan to host a segment on coaches that should be fired on NFL Countdown

He was an NFL scout, so why wouldn't he be able to assess draft prospects irrespective of his NFL career success or lack thereof.  

12 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

I don’t see how playing vs not playing - or how well you played should equate to scouting ability? Having a bad 40 makes you a bad scout?

Read it again fam --  I never said he was a bad scout.  All I said is that it's ironic given the fact that he is a former failed player himself.  It's not hard to understand

Just now, BuffaloRush said:

Wrong...it's not really the same point.  I never said Bucky shouldn't be allowed to do his job - I just said it''s an ironic topic coming from a former college player that was a HUGE bust himself.   David Carr was a 10 year NFL verteran.  He was not a superstar and you can certainly make an argument that he was a bust.   So if Carr's going to be doing a segment on which QB's will be busts and which ones won't, then yeah that is also ironic.  

Sorry, but this POV makes no sense.  Two different capacities that should not be interlinked.

He was an NFL scout, so why wouldn't he be able to assess draft prospects irrespective of his NFL career success or lack thereof.  

Do this:

1. Read the original post again

2. look up the word "irony" for me

Then you'll understand

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BuffaloRush said:

Bucky was a defensive back, not a receiver.

And while he started slow he was actually starting to improve and look decent when they found he had an eye problem which was preventing him from focusing on the ball in the air. If I remember correctly he had surgery but never really fully recovered from that setback.

Gotta admit I don't see the irony either. 

Edited by Thurman#1

1 hour ago, BuffaloRush said:

Actually when you put it that way, it sounds like a perfect fit. Who else would you want to hear from about screwed up coaches that Rex Ryan? If anyone can sees the signs of a future NFL bust then it’s a former bust, right?

16 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Bucky was a defensive back, not a receiver.

And while he started slow he was actually starting to improve and look decent when they found he had an eye problem which was preventing him from focusing on the ball in the air. If I remember correctly he had surgery but never really fully recovered from that setback.

Gotta admit I don't see the irony either. 

WRONG you at sir.  Bucky was drafted as a WR in the second round.  He played 3 games for the Bills before missing the season with an injury.   He was cut in training camp as a WR and was not picked up the rest of the 1995 season.

He did try to stage a comeback as a DB but it was largely unsuccessful.  He was no George Wilson

13 minutes ago, vincec said:

Actually when you put it that way, it sounds like a perfect fit. Who else would you want to hear from about screwed up coaches that Rex Ryan? If anyone can sees the signs of a future NFL bust then it’s a former bust, right?

Interesting view point.  I don’t thibk Bucky views it like that