Draft two QB's in round one?

BADOLBILZ

I went on Fanspeak and did their mock simulator and in this instance Josh Allen and Lamar Jackson were both there at the Bills picks.......perhaps unlikely but wouldn't entirely surprise me........and it occurred to me.......why not both?:devil:

You'd get 2 gifted QB prospects under team control for 4-5 years.

To me......a lot of young QB's struggle without competition........they get in their own head and it undoes them.......this gives them a competitor entering at the same level........game on.

I know people think those 1st round picks are gold but QB trumps all........doesn't matter if that player becomes a star like Tre White or just a Shaq Lawson.......QB is so far more important that I like my odds taking two swings at it.     

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I went on Fanspeak and did their mock simulator and in this instance Josh Allen and Lamar Jackson were both there at the Bills picks.......perhaps unlikely but wouldn't entirely surprise me........and it occurred to me.......why not both?:devil:

To me......a lot of young QB's struggle without competition........they get in their own head and it undoes them.......this gives them a competitor entering at the same level........game on.

I know people think those 1st round picks are gold but QB trumps all........doesn't matter if that player becomes a star like Tre White or just a Shaq Lawson.......QB is so far more important that I like my odds taking two swings at it.     

We might be able to get 2 more in the 2nd too depending on how it falls. 

9 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

My experience in sports growing up was that as much as I resented being put in competition I was much better and much more comfortable in those situations than when I was getting talked up by coaches and basically just competing against a standard.

Same in business too.

And yeah *maybe* these young guys can do a Tom Brady and create a fake chip on their shoulder to get themselves out of their own heads as they are not-so-subtly being unconditionally groomed to replace a Sam Bradford or Tyrod Taylor...............but at the base level that raw guys like Allen and Jackson are starting at I want to tap into their competitive nature to get them to their potential.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

My experience in sports growing up was that as much as I resented being put in competition I was much better and much more comfortable in those situations than when I was getting talked up by coaches and basically just competing against a standard.

Same in business too.

And yeah *maybe* these young guys can do a Tom Brady and create a fake chip on their shoulder to get themselves out of their own heads as they are not-so-subtly being unconditionally groomed to replace a Sam Bradford or Tyrod Taylor...............but at the base level that raw guys like Allen and Jackson are starting at I want to tap into their competitive nature to get them to their potential.

Sounds like a waste of a pick to me.

Same in business too.

I like this but it won't happen.  As much as McD preaches the process, he's a slave to optics like everyone else.

3 minutes ago, inaugural balls said:

Sounds like a waste of a pick to me.

When the Bills took the field in Jacksonville in the wildcard game........Tre'Davious White was the only one of their first picks from the entire 17 year drought period on the field.

Apparently you can patch holes enough to make the playoffs without a lot of help from the first round.:lol:

The funniest part is that the Bills passed on Drew Brees after drought year 1 and he's still playing and the Bills got NUTHIN' to show for all that losing.

QB's........not bad investments, IMO.:thumbsup:

1 minute ago, BADOLBILZ said:

When the Bills took the field in Jacksonville in the wildcard game........Tre'Davious White was the only one of their first picks from the entire 17 year drought period on the field.

Apparently you can patch holes enough to make the playoffs without a lot of help from the first round.:lol:

The funniest part is that the Bills passed on Drew Brees after drought year 1 and he's still playing and the Bills got NUTHIN' to show for all that losing.

QB's........not bad investments, IMO.:thumbsup:

One QB in round one for me....thanks.

1 minute ago, inaugural balls said:

One QB in round one for me....thanks.

I agree, trade up and get him.

If it costs 3 firsts and a second or more.......whatever.

17 years of the Bills drafting around 10th-11th on average.......loser level........and hitting on many impactful first rounders like Clements, McGahee, Lee Evans, Lynch, Whitner, Gilmore, Dareus, Watkins........and still having not a got-damn thing to show for it should tell people just how golden those first round picks are when they aren't a QB.:lol:

It doesn't........fans are still so ga-ga about first round picks that even a HOF plaque won't match that new car smell.:doh:

• Like (+1) 1

This has been coming up a lot recently. I know people keep citing how well it worked out with Washington. But that's the exception. 

The Current CBA (which I think came after the Washington example) limits practice time during the offseason. There just are not enough footballs in training camp to go around. If we're going with a bridge QB, that limits a rookies time even more. I'm not sure you wind up developing either guy.  

I get the idea. But pick one, and do it right. Otherwise it's a wasted pick. 

EDIT: Upon further review: the CBA was ratified in 2011, and RGIII was drafted in 2012. 

Edited by I_want_2_BILL_Lieve

1 minute ago, I_want_2_BILL_Lieve said:

This has been coming up a lot recently. I know people keep citing how well it worked out with Washington. But that's the exception. 

The Current CBA (which I think came after the Washington example) limits practice time during the offseason. There just are not enough footballs in training camp to go around. If we're going with a bridge QB, the limits a rookies time even more. I'm not sure you wind up developing either guy.  

I get the idea. But pick one, and do it right. Otherwise it's a wasted pick. 

Picking two in round 1 hasn't been brought up to my knowledge.

I actually think bringing in a Kyle Lauletta-type to battle with a first rounder creates a negative situation where the two young QB's don't start off on even footing.

And I'm not worried about the practice time.........if they are competitors they will always be working and be that much better in a limited practice setting.

Also the preseason would be !@#$ing awesome.:lol:

2 minutes ago, Blokestradamus said:

Ehhhhhh, you'd barely get one :D

Hey.......what do you want picking in the 20's?:lol:

If you want dibs on the best QB prospects don't trade your first round pick to a perennial playoff team with a proven coach and QB when you could just trade it to QB-less Houston and pick 4th overall.:doh:

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I like you, but you sir are crazy

Hey.......what do you want picking in the 20's?:lol:

If you want dibs on the best QB prospects don't trade your first round pick to a perennial playoff team with a proven coach and QB when you could just trade it to QB-less Houston and pick 4th overall.:doh:

If the talent matches up within the class, I'm not opposed to doing what the Redskins did and double dipping into the class. Probably not in back-to-back picks in the 1st but this is a talent acquisition business. Giving yourself more chances at hitting on a vital cog can't be seen as a bad idea in principle.

I think the primary issue comes with Peterman. I can't see the team cutting bait in one year with him and the coaching staff is all about leadership. It seems unlikely that they'd go into the season with just a couple of starts in the entire QB room. Although I'm very happy to ditch Noodle Arm Nate for a vet to make this pan out :D

2 minutes ago, Seanbillsfan2206 said:

I like you, but you sir are crazy

For the record........those that know me well here know I'd have picked a QB in round 1 every year for the last decade...........and I would have done better in round 1 than any Bills GM.:lol:

When it comes to what's really important in round 1.........getting "organizational impact"........picking the best available QB at your slot in round 1 is still much better odds versus the long odds of getting that kind of impact at other positions.    

Even if you hit on that non-QB pick it can be over and done with in 4 years because of 5th year options.    

5 minutes ago, Blokestradamus said:

If the talent matches up within the class, I'm not opposed to doing what the Redskins did and double dipping into the class. Probably not in back-to-back picks in the 1st but this is a talent acquisition business. Giving yourself more chances at hitting on a vital cog can't be seen as a bad idea in principle.

I think the primary issue comes with Peterman. I can't see the team cutting bait in one year with him and the coaching staff is all about leadership. It seems unlikely that they'd go into the season with just a couple of starts in the entire QB room. Although I'm very happy to ditch Noodle Arm Nate for a vet to make this pan out :D

Oh Nate ain't in my plans.:lol:

I think by the time he gets waived between mini-camps it won't be seen as particularly significant news.

I am working under the idea that Taylor or Bradford were the bridge QB.

1 minute ago, BADOLBILZ said:

For the record........those that know me well here know I'd have picked a QB in round 1 every year for the last decade...........and I would have done better in round 1 than any Bills GM.:lol:

When it comes to what's really important in round 1.........getting "organizational impact"........picking the best available QB at your slot in round 1 is still much better odds versus the long odds of getting that kind of impact at other positions.    

Even if you hit on that non-QB pick it can be over and done with in 4 years because of 5th year options.    

Picking 2 QBs back to back in round 1, assuming we don’t have a starter in place, immediately creates a QB controversy. I just don’t see how that works out in our favor

5 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Oh Nate ain't in my plans.:lol:

I think by the time he gets waived between mini-camps it won't be seen as particularly significant news.

I am working under the idea that Taylor or Bradford were the bridge QB.

Get me professional Dolph Lundgren lookalike Josh McCown and you've got a deal, pal.

15 minutes ago, Seanbillsfan2206 said:

Picking 2 QBs back to back in round 1, assuming we don’t have a starter in place, immediately creates a QB controversy. I just don’t see how that works out in our favor

IMO controversies start with underdogs..........not two guys on even playing fields.........that's competition........and it's rare to not have one favorite in a QB battle........but the great thing about the picks being back to back you can say that one wasn't really chosen over the other.    Say "we flipped a coin". :thumbsup:    

14 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

IMO controversies start with underdogs..........not two guys on even playing fields.........that's competition........and it's rare to not have one favorite in a QB battle........but the great thing about the picks being back to back you can say that one wasn't really chosen over the other.    Say "we flipped a coin". :thumbsup:    

I am not entirely averse to the idea of picking 2 QBs with our first rounders. In addition to the competitive aspect, say both of them are close, we can flip them for a high pick in 2-3 years time. 

16 minutes ago, 1st&ten said:

I remember a few years back one poster was so frustrated he wanted to draft QB's in rounds 1-5. He was serious too.

The question you have to ask is.........are there any Bills draft picks from that year still on the team?

Probably not.:lol:

Not so crazy when you look at it like that.

I'll say this too........when McD's defense works it's because guys are hustling and playing smart..........and those aren't really the primary things teams look for in round 1.

The Pats just went to a SB with 16 UDFA's on their 53 man roster...........and aside from Malcom Brown, Gilmore(FA) and Butler(a UDFA)......really their entire starting defense was castoffs and vets that wouldn't get much attention on the open market.......and despite a terrible SB there were a great scoring defense for the prior 3 months.

I like talent all over the field.........it's fun to plug in talent on paper..........but give me a QB and some dudes to throw to and a coach who can get his defense to exceed the sum of it's parts and I will roll with that.

14 minutes ago, Fan in Chicago said:

I am not entirely averse to the idea of picking 2 QBs with our first rounders. In addition to the competitive aspect, say both of them are close, we can flip them for a high pick in 2-3 years time. 

:thumbsup:

Not totally unprecedented either.

Jimmy Johnson picked Troy Aikman #1 overall then just months later took Steve Walsh #1 in the supplemental draft.   

Then after Aikman separated he flipped Walsh to the Saints for a #1.

Edited by BADOLBILZ

No.

I'm a big fan of taking a lot of shots at QB. But certainly not two in the first. 

It's like when you have a rose. Wanna develop the blossoms? You have to prune off the majority and keep doing so. The plant only has enough energy to truly support a few blossoms. One of those guys would turn into a long-term development prospect, a guy who wouldn't get enough reps to know what you had till three or four years down the road. And while you can do that with a lower pick, doing it with a #1 would be a poor use of resources.

On the other hand, using both those picks for a QB (by trading up) makes a ton of sense.

2 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Look, you do what you've gotta do to get the guy. Cut Tyrod, cut Peterman, here's our draft:

21: R1P21
QB MASON RUDOLPH
OKLAHOMA STATE
22: R1P22
QB LAMAR JACKSON
LOUISVILLE
53: R2P21
QB LUKE FALK
WASHINGTON STATE
56: R2P24
QB MIKE WHITE
WESTERN KENTUCKY
96: R3P32
QB KYLE LAULETTA JR.
RICHMOND
123: R4P21
QB RILEY FERGUSON
MEMPHIS
160: R5P21
QB LOGAN WOODSIDE
TOLEDO
168: R5P29
QB BRANDON SILVERS
TROY

Just now, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Look, you do what you've gotta do to get the guy. Cut Tyrod, cut Peterman, here's our draft:

QB MASON RUDOLPH
OKLAHOMA STATE
QB LAMAR JACKSON
LOUISVILLE
QB LUKE FALK
WASHINGTON STATE
QB MIKE WHITE
WESTERN KENTUCKY
QB KYLE LAULETTA JR.
RICHMOND
QB RILEY FERGUSON
MEMPHIS
QB LOGAN WOODSIDE
TOLEDO
QB BRANDON SILVERS
TROY

I don’t know how I feel about this draft. Woodside is a reach but I like being able to secure Rudolph and Jackson. If Silvers pans out it’s a great draft.

• Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

QB MASON RUDOLPH
OKLAHOMA STATE
QB LAMAR JACKSON
LOUISVILLE
QB LUKE FALK
WASHINGTON STATE
QB MIKE WHITE
WESTERN KENTUCKY
QB KYLE LAULETTA JR.
RICHMOND
QB RILEY FERGUSON
MEMPHIS
QB LOGAN WOODSIDE
TOLEDO
QB BRANDON SILVERS
TROY

Where's the other 6th rounder that McBeane is going to get for Shaq Lawson?:devil: