Breaker Box

TSNBDSC

21 minutes ago, SoTier said:

Electricity and water don't mix.  I can't believe that there could be any situation would make this set up "not necessarily against code" but that's just me.

How does a dishwasher operate without the combination of electricity and water?

6 minutes ago, /dev/null said:

How does a dishwasher operate without the combination of electricity and water?

I don't know about your kitchen, but my DW is plugged into an outlet with all the wiring behind the wall.  I don't have a breaker box under my sink to control the dishwasher or any other appliance.

35 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I don't see the big deal.  They're breakers.  If they get wet, they'll trip.  No harm; no foul.

There are two sides to every breaker.   The incoming side and the load side.  Things go wrong,  the incoming side is probably still hot.   That and it takes very little current to kill someone.   A regular breaker is not going to save you.  Hence the development of the ground fault breaker.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, SoTier said:

I don't know about your kitchen, but my DW is plugged into an outlet with all the wiring behind the wall.  I don't have a breaker box under my sink to control the dishwasher or any other appliance.

Fair enough.  There's more than one way to power a dishwasher.  But you are still mixing power and water.  The power cable runs into an outlet which is wired into your homes electrical system.  If I had to venture a guess that outlet is fed via bare romex behind drywall

In my kitchen, the dishwasher is wired into a junction box under the sink like the picture above.  Rather than separating the power and water via drywall the romex is run thru watertight flex and all connections are made within an approved electrical junction box.

Things can go wrong in the breaker box.   I was washing clothes once and I heard a buzz and a flash from where the breaker box was   This was in a room about 15 feet away from  The washer and dryer.  When the landlord expect inspected he box, he found that the  bus  had become loose  and shorted out the box the bar were all the wires connected had melted. It's a piercer overtime one of the lawyers has loosened up and    Caused a short.  Thank God I was home at the time   

15 hours ago, Greybeard said:

There are two sides to every breaker.   The incoming side and the load side.  Things go wrong,  the incoming side is probably still hot.   That and it takes very little current to kill someone.   A regular breaker is not going to save you.  Hence the development of the ground fault breaker.  

and all sub panels are on the other end of a breaker. as someone else said, not ideal but ....

Here is a video of what happens when an arc flash occurs.   In this case I believe it is a 480 V circuit which is common in the US.  Higher voltages make it worse.     I am guessing most here have never heard of this.  Work in a factory?  You have all kinds of circuits around that operate on this voltage.