Staying at #21 and drafting QB ... can you still get a top prospect?

Rigotz

20 hours ago, joesixpack said:

Best of luck without a tradeup.

Honestly, I'm starting to think we should tank THIS year. Trade off TT, Shady, Glenn and anyone else with a high price tag, fill holes in draft, sputter to 1-3 wins and then go QB.

Truly hate that idea. Even if you do it, you're still not guaranteed a pick. Just because you pick top 5 doesn't mean that youre going to get a top guy ( Leaf... ). I'd rather overpay for a guy like Cousins than waste yet another year trying to get a high draft pick with no guarantee. 

After the first couple QBs there isnt much of a difference in the next 5 QB's. It takes a good system, coach, and supporting cast for a QB to be successful. A QB doesnt have to be the top one or two prospects coming out of college to be a really good starting QB in the NFL. 

3 minutes ago, Teddy KGB said:

Whats so funny frank ?  

Passing on Watson/Mahomes was smart ?

Watson didnt make it through a season without injury......he may end up being good

Mahommes hasnt done squat Ryan

We did however get a crackerjack of a cornerback (another high paid position) and that 1st round pick

but hey.....yeah the front office screwed up

18 minutes ago, John from Hemet said:

Watson didnt make it through a season without injury......he may end up being good

Mahommes hasnt done squat Ryan

We did however get a crackerjack of a cornerback (another high paid position) and that 1st round pick

but hey.....yeah the front office screwed up

Let’s give it up for QB purgatory, and Vegas odds on bills in super bowl are 80-1 !!! 

Only third worse in the whole league.    Hooray cornerbacks ?

I know your used to making excuses for the 80-1 shot so I’ll let you get back to it ☠️☠️☠️

Edited by Teddy KGB

20 minutes ago, Teddy KGB said:

Let’s give it up for QB purgatory, and Vegas odds on bills in super bowl are 80-1 !!! 

Only third worse in the whole league.    Hooray cornerbacks ?

I know your used to making excuses for the 80-1 shot so I’ll let you get back to it ☠️☠️☠️

Ryan,

I realize that all this must be difficult for you...but read what people are actually saying what we should do before making those kind of replies?

I am simply saying that the bills didnt make the wrong move based on who they got and what they set themselves up for this year.

6 minutes ago, John from Hemet said:

Ryan,

I realize that all this must be difficult for you...but read what people are actually saying what we should do before making those kind of replies?

I am simply saying that the bills didnt make the wrong move based on who they got and what they set themselves up for this year.

They clearly made the wrong move when they passed on Deshaun Watson and Patrick Mahomes. 

Watson had 19 tds and barely played, Chiefs just sent a top 6 ranked QB packing for Mahomes.    We have a veteran who can’t pass and a second year noodle arm.  

We are 10-1 instead of 80-1 if we had Deshaun Watson.         

It was the wrong move, you are wrong Kevin. 

Edited by Teddy KGB

13 minutes ago, Teddy KGB said:

They clearly made the wrong move when they passed on Deshaun Watson and Patrick Mahomes. 

Watson had 19 tds and barely played, Chiefs just sent a top 6 ranked QB packing for Mahomes.    We have a veteran who can’t pass and a second year noodle arm.  

We are 10-1 instead of 80-1 if we had Deshaun Watson.         

It was the wrong move, you are wrong Kevin. 

Ryan

I will repeat for the historically dense

- Watson MAY END UP BEING A GOOD PLAYER

- Mahommes HASNT DONE ANYTHING YET

- Just because Kansas City had a QB situation doesnt mean that Mahommes is gonna pan out.....he has done NOTHING

We have a veteran on his way out and a rookie we dont know anything about yet....much like Mahommes

None of this means that the bills were wrong because we had an absolute need at the corner position....they hit on the pick in a big way.....and they picked up an additional 1st rounder in this upcoming draft.......

All the while making the playoffs

The bills did not do it wrong...they did it right

We have real weaknesses on the defensive and offensive lines and we could certainly use an upgrade of receivers (after losing Hogan, Watkins, Woods, Goodwin) I think we might might draft a qb if available at 21 but giving up a passle of draft picks to move up doesn't seem to be the best way to go.  In any event this isn't the John Elway, Jim Kelly, Dan Marino class of qb's. 

1 minute ago, tennesseeboy said:

We have real weaknesses on the defensive and offensive lines and we could certainly use an upgrade of receivers (after losing Hogan, Watkins, Woods, Goodwin) I think we might might draft a qb if available at 21 but giving up a passle of draft picks to move up doesn't seem to be the best way to go.  In any event this isn't the John Elway, Jim Kelly, Dan Marino class of qb's. 

It could be close though

I really would like to see the bills take their shot at QB this year....I normally dont feel that way.  its a strong class.

53 minutes ago, John from Hemet said:

Ryan

I will repeat for the historically dense

- Watson MAY END UP BEING A GOOD PLAYER

- Mahommes HASNT DONE ANYTHING YET

- Just because Kansas City had a QB situation doesnt mean that Mahommes is gonna pan out.....he has done NOTHING

We have a veteran on his way out and a rookie we dont know anything about yet....much like Mahommes

None of this means that the bills were wrong because we had an absolute need at the corner position....they hit on the pick in a big way.....and they picked up an additional 1st rounder in this upcoming draft.......

All the while making the playoffs

The bills did not do it wrong...they did it right

80-1 and your blocked chief.     

6 hours ago, PIZ said:

Yes it is.  I was thinking that I would try a different approach, and accumulate more 2nd and 3rd picks.  My first thought was to trade up to #1,  and give up 21, 22, 2nd round pick, 4th roun pick, plus next year's number 1 to draft Darnold.........that's likely what it would take.  Everyone talks about the Bills draft picks like it is a great situation, but they only have 8 picks.

2018 draft picks

• Round 1: Buffalo, Kansas City
  • Round 2: Buffalo, L.A. Rams
  • Round 3: Philadelphia
  • Round 4: Buffalo
  • Round 5: Buffalo, Jacksonville
  • Round 6: None
  • Round 7: None

I think that is giving up the farm. I dont see any scenario in which the Bills trade up into the top 5. It would be too costly. The Bills have too many holes that need to be filled

2 hours ago, BillsfanAZ said:

I think that is giving up the farm. I dont see any scenario in which the Bills trade up into the top 5. It would be too costly. The Bills have too many holes that need to be filled

I agree....I was being Whaley there.....

If you find a guy you are confident will be your franchise QB, you should do everything in your power to get him.

It's the NFL. You're ALWAYS going to have multiple holes to fill. Simply saying "we have holes ____, _____, and _____," does not mean "fill those spots, then get a QB some other time!"

We've tried that...we've been trying that for 18 years. It's not a very good strategy. Can you luck out & make the playoffs from time to time? Sure. But consistently? Very unlikely.

Even when you try to plug those holes, more will open up the following season. Rookie contracts expire, free agency happens, injuries, retirement, etc. will all continue the cycle of "we have more holes to fill!" And just as with the QB position, rookies in those various other spots aren't guaranteed to be great, nor are they even guaranteed to be productive starters. 

So spinning your wheels on the QB position time & time again will not yield great results. This regime HAS to find their guy and work towards developing him. And unless they're aiming to make a big splash in FA (which is the opposite of what they said they'd do), the only other option is the draft. 

And every year as it gets closer to draft time, you hear the same cliche chatter about how "this year's QB class isn't that good, wait until next year when ____ & _____ come out!" At some point you have to stop "waiting for next year" and take a shot. If not, you get to the point where you're so desperate, and you're forced to reach for someone like EJ Manuel in an actually terrible QB class. 

Nearly every year there are a couple players who do become franchise QB's...the Bills need to be decisive & find that player. 

Why would we want to if we have 2 1st round picks?, everyone assumed from the day we made the trade that the pick was specifically for ammo to move up the following year to get a better QB. Linebackers, Centers and Defensive Tackles don't matter, even a little unless we hit on a franchise QB, and that fact is that statistically top 10 QBs are far more likely to become franchise QBs than outside of it.

• Like (+1) 1

On 2/10/2018 at 12:03 AM, greeneblitz said:

Why would we want to if we have 2 1st round picks?, everyone assumed from the day we made the trade that the pick was specifically for ammo to move up the following year to get a better QB. Linebackers, Centers and Defensive Tackles don't matter, even a little unless we hit on a franchise QB, and that fact is that statistically top 10 QBs are far more likely to become franchise QBs than outside of it.

Based on what, other than your jump to conclusions mat?  Everyone, meaning who?  I certainly didn't have any expectation, other than it would provide more opportunity for the team to fill positions of need.  when that trade was made last year, the Bills were giving Tyrod Taylor the "show me" opportunity to be the starting quarterback for the team.  Based on the structure of his contract, it was pretty clear that they were not "all in" for trading up to get a quarterback in the 2018 draft.  If Tyrod were even above average last year (also unknown when we traded down), this would be a patently false statement.  You are green.  I will give you that.  LOL.