Congratulations to the Philadelphia Eagles, a city & team that's easy to respect

LA Grant

Congratulations to Philadelphia and Eagles fans on their first Super Bowl victory. A great game. Unwanted backup qb Nick Foles outduels Tom Brady. Overcoming a few terrible calls/non-calls. 

I would've been rooting for Philly over any of the AFC teams, but the fact that it was against the Patriots was doubly satisfying. The lack of pressure on Brady for 80% of the game and then coming through strong in the last moments, still mostly only 4 man rushes, was the Schwartz D at its best. 

I've always felt like the Bills and Eagles were cousin franchises — both had a string of consecutive almost Super Bowl wins; Eagles fans are diehards, just like Bills fans; the people are similar. They get a bad rep for being obnoxious but then again #BillsMafia has made the team synonymous with jumping through tables. The Eagles & Bills have never had any rivalry, so unless it's just bringing in animosity from the Broad Street Bully Flyers or the 90s Flyers or whatever screw the Flyers, but the Eagles are solid in my book -- they've always had guys like Brian Dawkins who were just great players. Randall Cunningham. I liked McNabb, from Syracuse. 

The Vikings & Bills have some similar franchise history but outside of Minneapolis & Buffalo both being cold, the fanbases/cities aren't that similar, imo. Cleveland & Buffalo are similar towns but the franchises aren't, really - the Bills have had hope from time to time. 

Point is — I'm happy for the Philadelphia Eagles. I'm happy for friends who are Eagles fans, and friends from Philly who aren't even hardcore football fans but still know how much it means to everyone they know back home.

I'm happy for the former Bills who played great in Buffalo and continued to do so in Philly — Nigel Bradham, Ronald Darby, Corey Graham. Jim Schwartz. Frank Reich. I wish all of them were still with the Bills but it is what it is. They deserve to have this victory. And because it can't be said enough — screw the Patriots.

Nick Foles is Super Bowl MVP.  Case Keenum and Blake Bortles were in the Championship games. Tyrod Taylor took the Bills to the playoffs. Anything can happen.

• Like (+1) 1

I still don’t respect their fans at all. For booing Donovan McNabb on draft day to throwing beer at kids a few weeks back. 

Their coaching staff and team, yes. There are definitely similarities and I’m happy for them. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Virgil said:

I still don’t respect their fans at all. For booing Donovan McNabb on draft day to throwing beer at kids a few weeks back. 

Their coaching staff and team, yes. There are definitely similarities and I’m happy for them. 

I think Philly fans get a bad rep. Yeah some are obnoxious but... in my personal experience, Eagles fans remind me most of Bills fans. I've seen some gnarly Bills fans at the Ralph too. The table jumping BillsMafia isn't representative of ALL Bills fans - they just get the most press because, hey look, obnoxious fans. Within the NY/PA region, the worst fans I think are Steelers and Jets, but it's all just personal experience. On an unrelated note, I think the Sixers are an easy team to like, too. Don't care about baseball and screw the Flyers.

There's a lot to like about the Eagles franchise and easy to see similarities with Bills.

2 minutes ago, Seanbillsfan2206 said:

The city is currently being burnt down to the ground ??‍♂️

A bit of an exaggeration but ok. If the Bills won the SB, it'd be the exact same scene: http://www.wbaltv.com/article/fireworks-and-fires-in-philadelphia-as-eagles-fans-celebrate-first-super-bowl-win/16567744 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, LA Grant said:

A bit of an exaggeration but ok. If the Bills won the SB, it'd be the exact same scene: http://www.wbaltv.com/article/fireworks-and-fires-in-philadelphia-as-eagles-fans-celebrate-first-super-bowl-win/16567744 

Yes. It was a bit of an exaggeration. I’m glad you caught that....

25 minutes ago, LA Grant said:

I think Philly fans get a bad rep. Yeah some are obnoxious but... in my personal experience, Eagles fans remind me most of Bills fans. 

You're right I agree. We are both in the top 5 for !@#$ fan bases that haven't priced out the !@#$s yet.

3 minutes ago, Seanbillsfan2206 said:

Really? Get a life? You do know the fans are there lighting fires and flipping over cars right? Obviously the city isn’t burning to the ground, Jesus are you guys !@#$ing retarded?

Nice to see you realize the city isn't burning to the ground......holy crap - can you even begin to imagine what would happen in Buffalo should they ever win a SB?  Bills Mafia will be jumping thru more than just tables at that point.  Take a chill pill and realize what just happened - I realize you have an obvious dislike towards Philly but be real here - put yourself in their shoes......I been a 22 year season tix holder and been to more than my share of tailgates events like every freaking sundee for 22 years - Buffalo would be doing the same and more.  I would not expect less.....

3 minutes ago, Kwai San said:

Nice to see you realize the city isn't burning to the ground......holy crap - can you even begin to imagine what would happen in Buffalo should they ever win a SB?  Bills Mafia will be jumping thru more than just tables at that point.  Take a chill pill and realize what just happened - I realize you have an obvious dislike towards Philly but be real here - put yourself in their shoes......I been a 22 year season tix holder and been to more than my share of tailgates events like every freaking sundee for 22 years - Buffalo would be doing the same and more.  I would not expect less.....

I don’t have an “obvious dislike towards Philly”. I was simply exaggerating a fact. I thought that would be easy to catch but apparently not. When we win a Super Bowl I will be out lighting every car on fire that I see (not literally please don’t freak out)

Just now, Seanbillsfan2206 said:

I don’t have an “obvious dislike towards Philly”. I was simply exaggerating a fact. I thought that would be easy to catch but apparently not. When we win a Super Bowl I will be out lighting every car on fire that I see (not literally please don’t freak out)

LOL - I will be next to you holding the matches.....no not freaking out at all......sorry for not catching your sarcasm.....it is late, I won my pool for some decent $$, I am in my cups AND I am from Philly but a HUGE Bills fan but so so so happy the Eagles won....no worries...again - sorry for missing the obvious sarcasm.

3 minutes ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

I really wanted both teams to lose. The philly fan base couldn't be more trashy. I really can't stand any philly fan besides the one that was at our party. Still had a hard time  cheering  for that team.  This superbowl was one of the worst match ups ever. At least the pats**** lost

Seriously how can you call that game the worst match up ever???  Did you watch the game at all??

• Like (+1) 1

Great interview from Doug Pederson & Nick Foles on NFLN.  Lots of shout outs to Frank Reich -- Pederson is always quick to credit him. Probably the most humble, likable Super Bowl winning coach/mvp in recent memory. I mean, you have 3 backup QBs beating Brady in a shoot-out to deliver their first SB win. It's great.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Kwai San said:

LOL - I will be next to you holding the matches.....no not freaking out at all......sorry for not catching your sarcasm.....it is late, I won my pool for some decent $$, I am in my cups AND I am from Philly but a HUGE Bills fan but so so so happy the Eagles won....no worries...again - sorry for missing the obvious sarcasm.

Seriously how can you call that game the worst match up ever???  Did you watch the game at all??

Yes and I've been saying I don't like either team for the last two weeks. I don't like the eagles or their fans and I hate the Patriots and their fans.  So....I don't like the match up.  If I didn't like the game I would have said the game sucked.