Goodell's pass catch comments were an omen

In hindsight it's looking like Roger was telling Al "Reversal" Riveron to knock off the convoluted touchdown turnovers. Neither Eagles TD would have survived Al's video reviews in the regular season. Does this mean we are getting back to common sense going forward, or was this a one-time only return to sanity, driven by the knowledge America was sick of the Pats getting all the calls?

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Like (+1) 6

5 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

In hindsight it's looking like Roger was telling Al "Reversal" Riveron to knock off the convoluted touchdown turnovers. Neither Eagles TD would have survived Al's video reviews in the regular season. Does this mean we are getting back to common sense going forward, or was this a one-time only return to sanity, driven by the knowledge America was sick of the Pats getting all the calls?

Hopefully both!  But, ya it felt a little like both!!

It might have been a signal to Rivmoron to cut it out.  Both were the correct calls but the 1st probably would have otherwise been overturned.  The 2nd one was an easy call and should never have taken the amount of time to review it that it did.

18 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Make no mistake, there was huge blowback after the Steelers Pats game. The NFL finally woke up to the fact that they need to respect their fan's intelligences and stop with stupidity surrounding a catch. It went on too long and there has been way too many games ruined by it. That just turns people away from the product.

All I want to know is this - for 15 years I officiated both college and HS football - the ball crosses the plane of the end zone you have a TD....for some CRAZEEE reason the NFL no longer sees that.  Rule Book musta changed!!!!  Second call was STOOOOPID long in review.  Riveron needs to be neutered.

Edited by Kwai San
  • Thank you (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, Doc said:

It might have been a signal to Rivmoron to cut it out.  Both were the correct calls but the 1st probably would have otherwise been overturned.  The 2nd one was an easy call and should never have taken the amount of time to review it that it did.

Did it really take that long or did Collinsworth’s yammering just make it feel like an eternity?

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Not a doubt in my mind it was the Benjamin call, immediately after the Jesse James Pittsburgh call..everything changed from that point on

The Ertz TD should never have taken that long to review.  It was the clearest, easiest call ever.  Possession, two steps with the ball, and then a lunge.  As soon as the ball in Ertz's hands crossed the plane of the goal line it was a TD.  Absolutely ridiculous that they made all of us sit through a senseless review.

The Coleman TD was legitimately "iffy" but allowing it to stand may indeed signal an end to the bizarre happenings regarding the catch rule.

And I absolutely loathe Cris Collinsworth.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, eball said:

The Ertz TD should never have taken that long to review.  It was the clearest, easiest call ever.  Possession, two steps with the ball, and then a lunge.  As soon as the ball in Ertz's hands crossed the plane of the goal line it was a TD.  Absolutely ridiculous that they made all of us sit through a senseless review.

The Coleman TD was legitimately "iffy" but allowing it to stand may indeed signal an end to the bizarre happenings regarding the catch rule.

Said it on another thread.

After the ertz td, when the pats defender blatantly shoves the wr on the 2pt, wasn't even looking at the ball, just shoved the guy in front of the ref...

They show a slow mo and collinsWORST said casually "looks like he hit him a little early they're..

NOW BACK TO THAT ERTZ TD I DON'T THINK IT WAS A CATCH"

• Haha (+1) 1

7 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I was wondering if Roger was standing over Al "Reversal" Riveron's shoulder saying TD or your fired.  ;)

3 hours ago, eball said:

The Clement TD wasn't that iffy. He never lost control. Can't a receiver move a ball to secure it? That's when replay enters Bizarro World, when you start looking at every ball movement as a loss of control. If your hands surround the ball, it's under control, even if it's moving a little.

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

The Coleman TD want that iffy. He never lost control. Can't a receiver move a ball to secure it? That's when replay enters Bizarro World, when you start looking at every ball movement as a loss of control. If your hands surround the ball, it's under control, even if it's moving a little.

I meant Clement not Coleman...but when I said "iffy" it is only in the context of the bizarro world in which we've been living; I completely agree with you that it was clearly a catch and a TD.

• Like (+1) 1