The Nick Foles Trick Play Came from His High School Days

9 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Paging the x and o mavens.  Pats fans are claiming that play was an illegal formation.  I am NOT up on the esoterica of offensive formations and what constitutes illegal formation.   Looked at from the angle in that tweet, it appears the Eagles player at the bottom of the screen is quite forward, not ahead of the ball but not lined up where the other OL is.

Anyone? Assessment?

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Paging the x and o mavens.  Pats fans are claiming that play was an illegal formation.  I am NOT up on the esoterica of offensive formations and what constitutes illegal formation.   Looked at from the angle in that tweet, it appears the Eagles player at the bottom of the screen is quite forward, not ahead of the ball but not lined up where the other OL is.

Anyone? Assessment?

The announcers mentioned one play and they said it was a legal formation   I can only assume its the same play.  

Just now, ShadyBillsFan said:

The announcers mentioned one play and they said it was a legal formation   I can only assume its the same play.  

They said something to the effect that play is only legal from the shotgun (which the Eagles were in).  This is a question about where the team is lined up relative to the LOS/ball and the neutral zone, which you really can't see without the camara angle used in that tweet

12 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

IIRC Tom Brady used that trick play first.  Did they steal his HS playbook?  

I thought the same.  May be there was some nuance but to me it seemed to be the same play.  Maybe the pats got it from spying on the Eagles practices....  ;-)

8 hours ago, FearLess Price said:

That was such a good play call. Pats* were stunned. Pederson kept them on their heels all game

Its the year of the QB. From the amount of Rookies in the draft, to the available FA QBs, to the servicable back ups stashed on other teams depth chart like Foles,

McCarron, Landry Jones, etc...

Too often, when teams play NE, you have the feeling Belichick is playing chess, and everyone else is playing checkers. 

This was chess vs checke......WHOOPS FOOLED YOU!  Playing chess too!  Did anyone else catch that play down on the goalline where NE shifted to an unusual formation and the announcers were all NE, NE, NE, blah blah...then 2 seconds later Philly shifted, set and snapped before NE could react?  As I recall that play didn't work, but it was just one of a number of things that had me saying hmmmm, chess vs chess here.

5 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

Maybe out was both?

Probably was both - might have been a play stashed in Reich's playbook that he wasn't confident of with Wentz, with Foles at QB he's like "yeah, he ran that in HS, he can absolutely do it!" 

We learned Foles WR chops >> Brady WR chops

40 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

They said something to the effect that play is only legal from the shotgun (which the Eagles were in).  This is a question about where the team is lined up relative to the LOS/ball and the neutral zone, which you really can't see without the camara angle used in that tweet

Eh - it looked like he was a good 2 yards off the LOS - thus 7 not on the line.  There's a guy standing there who's job it is to make sure of that on every play.  Ref's swallowed their flags for once - it was kind of refreshing TBH.

Peter King covered the 7 men on the line Q in his column:

"Except Jeffery claimed he got the okay from the official on the right sideline. The way formation rules work, players can look over at a side judge or other official nearby to see if he’s in the permissible spot."

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/02/05/super-bowl-52-eagles-patriots-peter-king-mmqb

26 minutes ago, hemma said:

Peter King covered the 7 men on the line Q in his column:

"Except Jeffery claimed he got the okay from the official on the right sideline. The way formation rules work, players can look over at a side judge or other official nearby to see if he’s in the permissible spot."

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/02/05/super-bowl-52-eagles-patriots-peter-king-mmqb

Great article and nice find.  Ha!  So if Jeffrey checked and got the OK,  the Zebras couldn't toss a flag without Big Egg on them.

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Great article and nice find.  Ha!  So if Jeffrey checked and got the OK,  the Zebras couldn't toss a flag without Big Egg on them.

Yeah, I didn't even know there was such a thing that could happen down on the field. 

Might explain some of the ref 'huddles' we see every once in awhile.

12 hours ago, Livinginthepast said:

I have been screaming for the Bills to do plays like this for years even before TT, EJ and all the other recent dreck at QB. The Marchibroda offenses did stuff like this all the time. All I have ever heard from the purists on here is "oh that's a gadget play, not real football" or "Our QB's aren't good enough to run it" etc. Well an almost career backup just executed it perfectly. 

Glad you touched on Marchibroda.

I remember back then they said they had a weekly handful of plays for red zone situations, and would only practice them at the last minute the week of the game. No film on them, and no chance for spies at practice.

When the time was right, they would call it, or give JK the option to call

it.

Smart situational football.

Guest K-GunJimKelly12
On 2/5/2018 at 12:04 AM, 26CornerBlitz said:

Burton played QB in HS. How are you so sure that O'Leary can make an accurate throw? 

Doesn't every NFL player play QB in high school.